• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do the brands of HDDs and SSDs manufacturer matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have similar experience with server HDD. Most that I had to replace in customers servers were Seagates ( usually rebranded ).

Are these their Constellation line? If so, what would you say is the actually AFR? Seagate adveratises between 0.63% and 0.44%, but I doubt those numbers.

How the heck would one person know the AFR of an entire brand? I mean seriously... the sample section is so small with one person that question is just off the wall to me, LOL!

Seriously, I hate when people shun brands because a drive or two or a (place part here) or two broke...or in this case think that their singular experience IS what the entirety of the brand does. Numbers. Statistics people! :)

In therms of SSD's, I stay away from any TLC chips.
you shouldn't... no reason not to...

How the heck would one person know the AFR of an entire brand? I mean seriously... the sample section is so small with one person that question is just off the wall to me, LOL!

If his/her job consists of dealing with these sorts of failure Woomack may know. The comment was made, so I asked in response. I certainly wouldn't make a thread with that question.

I bought HGST drives for my NAS... got 3x 3T drives, they're all doing fine. Not long running, only a couple months so far. But I got the ones that specified "NAS" on them, whether that means anything at all or not, I dunno. If I remember, it was a merger of IBM's and Hitachi's HDD divisions, then later was acquired and/or merged with Western Digital. I've not heard/read anything about their drives being any worse than anyone else's, so for $ per T, I was pretty pleased.

Just picked up a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB and a Crucial MX100 128GB today... we'll see, they have great reviews. I had an OCZ Vertex (2, I think) a couple years back, when SSDs were first getting big, that crapped out on me in just a few months and it soured me on them ever since. Finally getting back up on the horse.

... You shouldn't put a drive without TLER or a similar feature into any thing that will be using a RAID controller. If you do, the drive will drop out of the array
FWIW I've used standard desktop drives for years in Linux RAIDs and have never seen a drive kicked out, not even the Seagate drive that I retired after three years of service because it had thousands of remapped sectors. Of course Linux RAID may differ from other RAID S/W and H/W.
As far as I know, only enterprise grade drives and the WD velociraptor (which previously was marketed as an enterprise drive and still is sold for workstations), will have RAID specific firmware.
The WD Red series are intended for RAID usage and cost modestly more than the other consumer grade drives. HGST also has RAID specific drives that are modestly priced compared to enterprise drives.

There seems to be little benefit to using RAID specific drives for service other than in a RAID.

Yeah, Linux software RAID doesn't have the issue that hardware RAIDs do.

I don't know of any enterprise grade drive that doesn't have RAID specific firmware. Admittedly, I've never looked, but it would seem very odd. I think some eSSDs do lack RAID firmware.

That's actually sounds advice for any manufacturer's drive. You shouldn't put a drive without TLER or a similar feature into any thing that will be using a RAID controller. If you do, the drive will drop out of the array and then you lose tons of data. I have first hand experience with this. back in 2004 I lost 500GB of data when my RAID5 lost 2 drives for this exact reason.

This is an unfair blanket statement. I've used lots of drives, including WD green drives that caused the most issues, in software and hardware raid systems with no issues.

nstgc said:
As far as I know, only enterprise grade drives and the WD velociraptor (which previously was marketed as an enterprise drive and still is sold for workstations), will have RAID specific firmware. If you aren't planning on using a RAID, or if you only plan on using a RAID 0 (don't do it, you will regret it unless you have good, frequent backups), then you don't need to worry about it.

I run Hitachi or WD in my servers. Crucial or Samsung for SSDs, although I will use OCZ refurb drives in places where a drive failure really doesn't matter.

Back