• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Card / CF Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z_109

So I just received my card from powercolor RMA and attempted to setup them up in CF. When I first installed the new card, everything worked swimmingly, games launched, saw a huge increase fps, etc... I noticed that card 1 was running a bit hot so I figured I would swap the slots on my mobo to help alleviate the temps as the new card has a much better cooler. Ever since the swap, nothing works properly. I figured it might be a driver issue but after a clean install, nothing has changed. Whenever I attempt to open steam, too man chrome tabs, or any game, the computer locks up. Both my monitors give the me the 'no signal' message then a few moments later, they display a frozen image of my desktop on both monitors (its one image being repeated on both monitors rather than the typical extended desktop display) and this sequence repeats itself indefinitely (no display - frozen image - no display - frozen image - etc...). MSI afterburner doesn't recognize the cards either. It tells me my card is a Intel(r) HD graphics 4000 card. Odd thing is, I can see both temps on MSI Afterburner and I was able to run Kombustor for 20 seconds and it recognized both cards and it seemed to work just fine. I'm attempting to CF a r9 280 and a 7950. It worked when the 7950 was in the first slot and the 280 in the second. I used to use the HD 7xxx drivers when it was in slot 1 and swapped to the R9 2xx drivers when things went haywire after the card swap.

I've since tried removed the working card and left the r9 280 solo. The same problem occurred. I updated my BIOS and reset my CMOS and it seemingly began to work. I was able to launch several programs (dota 2, ffxiv, dragon age inquisition, steam). I never did end up playing any of them as I had thought I fixed the problem, I reinstalled my old 7950 and after about 15 minutes, boom. The original problem occurred once again. I felt like this was a software issue but it seems like this might be bad card? Is there something I'm missing here?

These are the cards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131570
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131478

Preemptive thanks for any help I receive.

14.9 is what i am using with my crossfire 7970's, works well.

14.12 killed my system but my 290 likes it just fine, go figure..........

Neither of your suggestions worked. Also, I don't even want a card that goes crazy with up to date version of drivers. I've also tried installing it in my brothers computer (typically runs an Nvidia card as I don't know anyone with an ATI GPU) and it wouldn't even get past the windows 8 loading screen.

pull the 280, use display driver uninstaller in safe mode, you open it in the os, then it asks you if you want to reboot in safe mode and does that for you
reinstall 14.9 driver with only the one card and bench it.

it wouldn't even get past the windows 8 loading screen.
Sounds like that card is just faulty. Switching out drivers won't help if the card simply needs to be replaced by the manufacturer (again). Sometimes they'll send back refurb cards that can still have issues.

What power supply are you using though OP? It's possible that it just cannot handle both cards.

grumperfish, 14.12 is known to do horrid things with 7970's, lets work through drivers and software before we replace hardware, 14.12 even borked my bios.
I had to reflash both bios and then fresh install to recover, if you can call it recovering.

Oh ok, I didn't realize there were issues with that driver set as I traded out my 280X for the 290 prior to the Omega drivers' release.

there are three gens of 7970/280/280x, gcn 1.0, gcn 1.1 and gcn 1.2, only one or two of the generations of cards have the issue, 280x does not. 290 has no issues with it either.
from what a close friend said, after some research, that 280x performs slightly lower with 14.12 when folding.

where in south fla are you? i am a born in the flesh cracker myself

grumperfish, 14.12 is known to do horrid things with 7970's, lets work through drivers and software before we replace hardware, 14.12 even borked my bios.
I had to reflash both bios and then fresh install to recover, if you can call it recovering.

14.12 has been the best driver I have used since running dual 7970's. :sly:

Back