• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help choosing a monitor for my set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clever1

Registered
My system currently consists of the following:

AMD 8350
3 ssd
sabertooth 990fx
gskill 8GB
7970 2 in crossfire

at the moment I habe an acer 24" monitor. It gets alot of stuck pixels and there are these light lines on the left side of the monitor... there also seems to be an image of a browsers... or desktop. It changes. So I guess it's going to die out. I plan on sending it in to get it RMAed... I finally have a few buks saved up and was thinking about getting a better monitor. Something like the Asus VG248QE... but that 144mhz, I don't know if my cards can handle it... or the larger VS278Q-P?

Both of which u can grab at my local bestbuy... in a few hours when they open up.

Personally I'd go for the 24" & I don't think you'll have any problem driving it running 7970's Xfire.

The 27" is also 1080p, so you don't get any more pixels, just spread out over more area.

Why run xfire 7970's and only run 60Hz? That's the real question ;)

Really though it just depends. On one hand a standard 60Hz monitor will do everything you need it to perfectly fine, on the other hand you have a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor that makes everything you do, even just in Windows seem far smoother than it ever was. Just keep in mind, once you actually experience 120 or 144Hz, it might very well bug you a bit if you have to play on a 60Hz screen somewhere else.

Ohhh so it's like going from normal viewing to HD... to ultra... then being forcee to watch an action movie with stuNing explosions on a regular set... it just doesn't happen...

So yeah im going to get that VG248QE.

Thanks Guys

I own an VG248QE and aside from the obvious limitations of the TN panel used, I have nothing but good to say about it if you primarily game on it. For 1080p I'd say your xfire 7970's should handle it gloriously.

As for going from one thing to the other, honestly everyone is different and every person has different sensitivity to such things. While it's not world ending, I can at least generally tell by playing the sluggishness of 60Hz compared to 100Hz+. You may or may not be sensitive to it enough for it to matter much, but regardless, you should definitely be able to tell a difference once you try 120Hz or 144Hz on that monitor. Play around with it on 60Hz, then bump it up to 120 or 144Hz, you should see a nice difference in smoothness.

I own an VG248QE and aside from the obvious limitations of the TN panel used, I have nothing but good to say about it if you primarily game on it. For 1080p I'd say your xfire 7970's should handle it gloriously.

As for going from one thing to the other, honestly everyone is different and every person has different sensitivity to such things. While it's not world ending, I can at least generally tell by playing the sluggishness of 60Hz compared to 100Hz+. You may or may not be sensitive to it enough for it to matter much, but regardless, you should definitely be able to tell a difference once you try 120Hz or 144Hz on that monitor. Play around with it on 60Hz, then bump it up to 120 or 144Hz, you should see a nice difference in smoothness.

Great post. I am one of those that is not sensitive to 60 vs 120. Its inevitable growth in technology, but its the same to me honestly. Maybe at higher resolutions I would be able to tell, but for 1080p I can't say i really notice a dramatic difference in smoothness.

Back