• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Anyone here use/used Cyanogen mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I have a the LG "Ecylpse" or LG "MyTouchQ" Simply put I have the LG C800G Slider phone running Android Gingerbread. It is rooted.

Most newer games on the play store require Ice Cream Sandwich- which I can't get with stock firmware.
However, Cyanogen mod's latest version for my phone is Ice Cream Sandwich, so I was thinking of flashing it to my phone.

I've never done this kind of stuff before and because I need my phone (obviously :p ) I'm nervous that if I brick it, I'm done :-/
So has anyone had experience using and flashing Cyanogen mod before? Was it easy to flash? Easy to use? Any options if I screw up and want to revert to stock firmware? Did you lose your contacts, texts data on SD etc..?

I don't game often on my phone, usually just to kill time btw. But my brother plays Clash of Clans, and my co-worker does too so I figured I try it - which is when I discovered I need Android 4.0.

Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:
I enjoyed Cyanogenmod on the Galaxy S3, but keep in mind for each phone there are different rooting methods.

All I did was find a thread on installation of that version of Cyanogenmod and the Galaxy S3 AT&T and followed the needed steps to root the phone then install Cyanogenmod.

You might want to check this out though as it might work, at least I would assume it would.
http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install

I enjoyed Cyanogenmod on the Galaxy S3, but keep in mind for each phone there are different rooting methods.

All I did was find a thread on installation of that version of Cyanogenmod and the Galaxy S3 AT&T and followed the needed steps to root the phone then install Cyanogenmod.

You might want to check this out though as it might work, at least I would assume it would.
http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install

Well that looks easy enough :)

Was Cyanogenmod smooth/smoother than stock on your S3?
I'm wondering how it will run on my phone since it's only a 1Ghz single core with peanuts for RAM lol.

My experience was quite fantastic, as for me it reduced quite a bit of lag associated with the S3's stock setup, especially when switching between apps.

All you can do is try it and see if you like it. You can find stock ROM for your phone somewhere to keep handy in case you don't care for it.

I've used Cyanogen roms for several years (mytouch, thunderbolt, and currently an S3 and an Asus tablet) and have been very happy. Generally I flash it within a couple of days (as soon as I got home with the S3). I think the chances of actually bricking your phone are pretty low these days. I did have a problem with the tablet getting stuck in a boot loop, which had me worried for a bit, but quickly found a solution on XDA developers site. Lots of very sharp people out there willing to help. I can't even imagine running a stock rom anymore.

Well that's comforting to know :)

I'll round up my stock firmware and grab cyanogenmod then.
Provided they aren't large DL's..... we've used up 75% of out monthly limit already :(

And we are flashed! :thup: :D

Went pretty smooth up until fastboot didn't see my device. This guide will get past the step where you flash the recovery image to the internal memory.

Now, I have to reinstall my apps :p

Thanks for the assistance guys!
I now have a sweeeeet phone :)

That's what this community is for :D

Enjoy the awesomeness of Cyanogen!

That's what this community is for :D

Enjoy the awesomeness of Cyanogen!

I am!

Some weird glitches, I'm with Virgin mobile, but now I show I'm on Bell. (Same towers and stuff I know :p ) I can still make/receive calls and texts so I should be good. Also USB Mass Storage mode doesn't work, MTP works but some folders/files are hidden. :shrug:

Also, quite slow/laggy on this little single core.
So I OC'd it to 1.2 Ghz :) Stock is 1 Ghz. I figure'd it is safe at 1.2.

Clash of clans runs fairly well for now, so totally worth the upgrade. :thup:

I used Cyanogenmod a long time ago on the first gen Motorola Droid. It's a good (the only?) nearly universal ROM, available for pretty much any android device. Indeed, many devs use CM as a base for custom ROMs.

On popular phones, however, you can almost always find a ROM that's better/faster/has more features than CM. It's a jack-of-all-trades, and master of none (necessarily). For not-as-popular devices, or older devices that never had strong dev support, CM is usually the best option.

Then there is the trouble you run into with stock vs. aosp ROMs. Simply put, stock is based off the firmware that comes from the manufacturer and AOSP is based off google source. You'll often have features that work better on stock ROMs (camera is a big one). Stock tends to have more bloat though, even if 'de-bloated' of all extra apps, and you can find suitable substitutes for most stock features (sometimes even including the camera).

Anyway, I'm blubbering on. TL;DR - Cyanogenmod is likely the best and only choice for your phone, so you've done well. :)

I loaded CM3 on my Droid 1 and CM10 on my current-generation Nexus 7 a while back.

The load process was not "difficult" so much as it was "tedious".

Go For It.

I used Cyanogenmod a long time ago on the first gen Motorola Droid. It's a good (the only?) nearly universal ROM, available for pretty much any android device. Indeed, many devs use CM as a base for custom ROMs.

On popular phones, however, you can almost always find a ROM that's better/faster/has more features than CM. It's a jack-of-all-trades, and master of none (necessarily). For not-as-popular devices, or older devices that never had strong dev support, CM is usually the best option.

Then there is the trouble you run into with stock vs. aosp ROMs. Simply put, stock is based off the firmware that comes from the manufacturer and AOSP is based off google source. You'll often have features that work better on stock ROMs (camera is a big one). Stock tends to have more bloat though, even if 'de-bloated' of all extra apps, and you can find suitable substitutes for most stock features (sometimes even including the camera).

Anyway, I'm blubbering on. TL;DR - Cyanogenmod is likely the best and only choice for your phone, so you've done well. :)
Thank you! :)
I loaded CM3 on my Droid 1 and CM10 on my current-generation Nexus 7 a while back.

The load process was not "difficult" so much as it was "tedious".

Go For It.

It was a longish process yeah. Flashing it twice as per instructions, but totally worth it.

My only real issue is the huge lack of RAM on this phone. Clash of Clans will sometimes just load up and all the buildings will be black squares....
This goes away if I free up a lot of RAM, or I reboot.

I'm trying to get a swapfile or a swap partition going, but I'm having some issues.
I've read it's because I'm trying to make a swapfile on my FAT32 formatted SD card, so I'm going to format it as EXT3 tonight and try again.

Also, ADB is amazing! :cool:

i tried to download it for my nexus 4 the servers couldn't work :( btw, i normally use liquid smooth or slim, right now im stock loli!
if i manage to download it i will :D

Hmm...never had a problem there myself. When you go there and click 'begin download', you wait a few seconds, then they offer 5-10 different mirrors. Just keep trying one until you get one that works?

Back