• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6-pin PCE-I into 8-pin slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcommons

I'm building my first HTPC and came to problem. I have an ASUS H97M Plus motherboard and a Seasonic G-360 power supply. The motherboard has an 8-pin PCI-E female slot. The power supply has a 6-pin PCI-E male plug. Can I plug the 6 into the 8 receiver with plowing something up? The 8-pin has an offset clip anchor as if design to receive a 6-pin. Or should I purchase a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter? Thanks in advance for the help.

never plug a pcie into a cpu!!!!!

you can plug a 4 pin cpu connector into the 8 pin cpu socket

Okay, I know see that I'm looking at ONE of the ATX power connectors on the motherboard. I have the 24-pin EATXPWR connected and can ignore the 8-pin EATX12v slot on the board. Thanks for the heads up and making me re-read the "only one".

What?!

Your mobo has a 24 pin and 8 pin for power. They both need plugged in. That psu has both plugs (the 8 pin is 4+4).

the 8 pin MUST HAVE POWER, you can use either a 4 pin cpu connector or an 8 pin cpu connector

Okay, I see the 4+4 pins from the PS, these must be the CPU power to be plugged into the 8 on the MB.

Be a good idea to read up on the connectors from your power supply and what needs input to the mobo. Because if you had managed to force a 6 pin PCIe video card add power connector into the 8 pin cpu connector on a motherboard...well the power and grounds are reversed and that would make a mess.

All newer last 4 years anyway motherboards have to have at least a 4 pin cpu power connector plugged in or the board will not boot since the power to the cpu comes from the 4 or 8 pin connector from power supply to the mobo.
RGone...

Back