• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z97 Mpower Max AC VRM cooler: How would I hook it up into a custom loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

I'm looking at this board for my next build, and I want to use the built in water block on the VRMs, since it has it. I was reading around the web earlier, and discovered that it doesn't use G1/4 threads? I'm a little confused on the specs that I'm finding, and rather than wait until I get the board to physically look at it before I can order parts, I figured someone here could possibly tell me what I'm going to need?

The plan is to run the loop from the res/pump to the radiator mounted top in the case, to the CPU, to the top hole on the VRM block, and from the bottom hole to the GPU and back to res. I was originally thinking I would use a 90* compression coming off of the CPU block directly into the same 90* compression going into the VRM block, and then have a strait compression come out from the bottom of the VRM block directly into another 90* compression on the GPU.

Will that work? Also, will I need anything else (adapters or anything)?

The board has 3/8 " barbs pre installed. Here's a quote from the AnandTech review.
Because the Z97 MPower Max AC is aimed at mid-range overclocking, the power delivery heatsink doubles up for water cooling, being an air/water hybrid solution. We have seen this on other motherboards before, but I think I am right in saying that this is MSI’s first take on the combined solution. Like with other first attempts, the solution has fixed sized barbs at 3/8”, and MSI suggests flowing cooler water into the top with warmer water out of the bottom.

Back