• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to switch off the Intel graphics chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ajay57

At present i an having fun Benching my new GIGABYTE P25 V2 CF4 Laptop i have managed to score some valuable points for the OCF Team!

My question is how do you switch off the Intel 4600 GPU CHIP and allow the laptop to make use of the GTX 880M 8GB of GDDR5 instead? :attn:

Also by doing so would it cause a blank screen as the GTX could be piggy backing the Intel GPU? :attn:

Why would i wish to do this, because i would like to try some Benchmarks using the GTX 880M with the 8GB of Ram and see if the scores or results could be better? :shrug:

By the way this is what i have been able to do so far! ;)

http://hwbot.org/user/ajay57/

And this one which i an slowly filling up with my scores so far! :thup:

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_4810mq/

Hopefully i can fill all the spaces on the list with my Subs and win more Gold Cups etc. :salute:

Kind Regards,

Ajay.

How do you know you are not using the discrete GPU?

Usually laptops like yours will run on the iGPU for low loads then move to the dGPU in 3D.

As witchy said, in the BIOS or in NVCP is where that would happen (switching it off).

EDIT: Its pretty clear that your 3d11 score at Hwbot is using it as there is no way in hell that the iGPU scores that well. Notice how 'close' you are to the highest score for the 880m? That should have told you that you are using the 880m. ;)

Last edited:
The Bios as you call it is so basic i would not call it that at all, as for else where i was looking at the Devices Manager as to use that to disable the INTEL GRAPHICS SIDE. :shrug:

OK ED maybe you are correct just looking to get the Max out of this for me and the Team if possible, but still its fun to do i understand its only small beer! :(

I just "THOUGHT" it would be nice to do something and put some Hardware points on the board for all concerned. :grouphug:

Ajay.

Oh I know I'm right, LOL, look at your score. The iGPU on that CPU wouldn't come CLOSE to that. A way to confirm for yourself is to look up HD4600 scores at hwbot and see...

It is nice to do that... and you are already doing it... keep on benching that thing on 3D's!!!

Catzilla? Did he mention that in another thread or something? the 11 score he linked is where it should be... at least its leaps and bounds better than teh HD4600 (its record is a bit over 2K).

I was looking at all he's score's he ran with that laptop and catzilla was ran with hd4600 so I was guessing tha'st was what he was talking about since 3D11 was submitted under the 880m

I was looking at all he's score's he ran with that laptop and catzilla was ran with hd4600 so I was guessing tha'st was what he was talking about since 3D11 was submitted under the 880m

Or, since Catzilla has an auto-detect system, it pulled the wrong GPU because it pinged what graphics adapter was running at idle...

Not sure.. I am now confused as I see what you are saying. He ran 3d11 fine with it, so I was assuming his catzilla scores on the HD4600 were intentional. Vague description in the OP...

But yeah, as Witchy said, you can set it in the NVCP and that should get it around Catzilla's autodetect I would imagine.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips and Info just getting use to being back in the saddle again and slow on the up take as well, the other thing is some of the 3D MARKS are not working with my LAPPY! :(

So i will try Quickfast idea as it mentions abt ADOBE 10 not working properly. ;)

Also after checking out the other Subs on the HWbot the person there looks like he INSTALLED a Desktop Driver on his Laptop to do the 3D MARKS! :shrug:

So i have some work to do and things to try out before i am looking at any results, so i am going to do some more reading, and any help you Guy's can suggest to me! :attn:

Ajay.

Last edited:
As was mentioned earlier, if there are no options to disable it in the bios, the do it in the NVCP. I would be shocked if you were required to install a 'regular' driver for the mobile GPU... for all intents and purposes, its the same thing. That said, there may be some performance increases with the regular driver over the mobile version due to power limits? No clue, just a guess. But as was said earlier, disable it in the NVCP and you should be good to go.

I also wouldn't worry about the profiles for each benchmark/exe personally, I would just set it globally when benchmarking in the NVCP tehn flip it back. But that is a 6 of one, half dozen of another type thing (AKA - personal preference).

Last edited:
Why are you benchmarking at stock speeds???

EDIT: Also, don't post the link you did to your submission. The link you submitted, when people click on it, calculates the score again and sends unnecessary hits to the Hwbot servers. Always use the link from this page. Find the submission (latest on top) and use the "LINK" to link to it. The URL should look like this: http://hwbot.org/submission/2739179_ (doesn't have the calculatetrue part on it so it won't relcalc every time someone clicks on it. :)

Last edited:
Keep in mind, sometimes profiles in laptops using Switchable Graphics will auto-default to Integrated and will NOT work properly, even greying out the option to select the NVIDIA card. I actually did research and experimented with this after getting my Y50-70. Don't have the lappy up atm, but from the NV Control Panel, just select the NVIDIA card option.

Here is a screenshot to show what should be seen on the mobile (another language, but you see the option):

as0arYU.png

If your option is greyed out to Integrated and NOT global or NVIDIA, then you will need to download NV Inspector and from within NV Inspector, delete the profile for the program you are trying to use, then go back to NVCP and add your program to the list then you will be able to select NVIDIA. (I had to do this with ArcheAge -.- )

I have throttle stop at full speed here set @ 3.5 to 3.7 max! :attn:

Snap 2015-01-20 at 20.15.59.png

This is what i have to help me keep the turbo up higher than stock! ;)

Ajay.

Ajay, EarthDog is asking why you're not overclocking the GPU for a graphics benchmark.

On a $2000.00 LAPTOP Atmin i am a bit shy of pushing the boat out that far!! :thup: So try to cut me some slack at this time, maybe later when i have had it for more than a few days or so. ;)

OK! :salute:

Ajay.

Last edited:
On a $2000.00 LAPTOP Atmin i am a bit shy of pushing the boat out that far!! :thup: So try to cut me some slack at this time, maybe later when i have had it for more than a few days or so. ;)

OK! :salute:

Ajay.

If the temps are in-line, you won't hurt it. There are power limits in place.

That does look like a very nice laptop man.

I definitely understand why you don't want to push it too hard right away. If it was me I would take it easy on it too( lies lies lies) :D

Seriously that does look like a very fun laptop!

Back