• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Case Spark with Ground

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

Hi, I don't have any ground, so i picked a cable and connected it to a water pipe(radiator).
My multimeter reads 16v ac from case to ground, and when ground cable touched the case it sparked ! what is wrong? is that normal? should i leave a ground connected to my case for safety?
to test the ground i managed to turn on a led a little bit by moving around on my carpet !

How are you not grounded already? Do you plugs not have a ground (how is that possible?)?

How are you not grounded already? Do you plugs not have a ground (how is that possible?)?

how is that possible?
.:Middle east:. :)
How are you not grounded already?
im not, we don't have any ground, our power plugs and cords are 2-pin and every time i load the dishwasher without unplugging it i get a shock :)
I also used a super thin wire, maybe that's the problem? but anyway it gave me shock and multimeter reads 16v!

Last edited:
If you're reading 16v on ground, you have a dead short somewhere.
No, that's not ok.
I wouldn't plug anything you care about into that.

I would pull it all apart and start looking for the short. Might be a psu wire with damaged insulation, mobo shorted, or almost anything. If you can't see anything obvious then Start putting parts back in one at a time until you fine it.

Ok, i will do that tomarrow :|

Edit: oh god, it might be the atx power! It was so terrible ! I will tell yoi results tomorrow! It can also be my mobo ! Because as i already mentioned my old psu killed few of my components!

Last edited:
Uhhh... Correct me if wrong, but this in no way means you have a short.

If you're reading any AC power between your PC case and a radiator in your house, that has nothing at all to do with your PC parts.

My guess is the fact that you use two prong AC cords / outlets. Or perhaps your water pipes are not grounded... OR, maybe your outlets or home isn't properly grounded...

I would remove your home made ground.

Using neutral as ground used to be common practice, say 30 or 40 years ago. Sh*tty wiring will bleed voltage.

So i just plug it back in and not worry?! It was weird that it sparked! And my multimeter reads 100v on AC when connected to my old PSU without being inside a case or connected to anything else ! which is weird. i guess the case voltage is coming from PSU, just like my old PSU does that !

Last edited:
You have 100 volts on the case of the psu when it is plugged in and not installed in the case?

What are you using as a ground to check this? The pipe?

You have 100 volts on the case of the psu when it is plugged in and not installed in the case?

What are you using as a ground to check this? The pipe?

Sorry , i meant the metal part of my PSU(body)
Yes im using the same pipe!

It almost sounds like the wall socket has a bad neutral or the psu is bad. I would do the following....

THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. DO THIS ONLY IF YOU UNDERSTAND ELECTRIC! DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE!

Grab your dmm check the voltage from hot to neutral. You said you are in the M.E. so it should be 220-240v. Now check from one prong to the "ground" (pipe) and then check from the other prong to the pipe. One should be 220-240v and the other should probably be less than 10 volts.

It almost sounds like the wall socket has a bad neutral or the psu is bad. I would do the following....

THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. DO THIS ONLY IF YOU UNDERSTAND ELECTRIC! DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE!

Grab your dmm check the voltage from hot to neutral. You said you are in the M.E. so it should be 220-240v. Now check from one prong to the "ground" (pipe) and then check from the other prong to the pipe. One should be 220-240v and the other should probably be less than 10 volts.

Thanks, i will try it and post the results here (if i don't die :D)!

Last edited:
Back