• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please review my x99 build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MotorBit

Registered
Hey folks, after much internal debate I've decided to build a new machine (I was planning on just buying one from Falcon or wherever due to lack of time but shiny parts and specs roped me back in).

It's been a while since I last put a machine together and I've had to bring myself up to date on some of the new tech. I think I'm square on everything but I'm not too proud to ask for a review of what I'm putting together.

So here's what I'm working on:

Mobo: MSI X99S Gaming 9 ACK LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99
Proc: Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400
Primary Boot: SAMSUNG 850 EVO-Series MZ-75E1T0B/AM (1TB)
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
VGA: MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G GeForce
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM
Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H110

I plan to run Windows 8.1 Pro on it.

Once I get this up and running stable I'll be adding a couple more HDD drives, maybe a second SSD for additional fast-app space, and possibly another set of RAM. I know gaming won't suck up much of the RAM (I believe that's still the case right?) but I also do photography, CAD and some rendering work, which will probably eat up what I throw at it.

I current run a 3-monitor setup and plan to upgrade all three monitors as well and this time around try out a surround setup. The plan is to get along with the GTX980 for system setup, and then add a second GTX980 in for a 2-way SLI. I'll also be hooking up my pen display as a 4th monitor input device (CAD, Photoshop work).

I haven't built a machine that uses an SSD as the boot drive before, so that's a bit of new territory. Also not up on the latest BIOS system (my old system still works like the old keyboard-only DOS style setup). So that's going to be a new experience as well.

I'm not sure (with the new SSD, CPU and VGA technology) if the 1000w PSU is overkill or not. I just happened to have the one I listed above brand new so I went with that. With new hardware seeming to be less power-hungry than in years past, but with the expectation of adding another VGA and some more disks, I'm not sure if I really need the 1000w or not.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions/guidance for me, it's always appreciated.

SOlid but you can save a ton a coin in a lot of areas....

1. Why a $1K CPU? Why wont a $500 hex, or even the $350 hex not be good enough for your uses?
2. 1KW is overkill. Grab the EVGA 850W Supernova G2 for 2 980's and a hex with both overclocked. HDD's sip on power so that wouldn't be a worry in the least.

Otherwise, it looks good to me!

I'd look at a better board for that kind of money...
Thinking ASRock X99 WS here. Maybe the Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5.

For the GPU, why not this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487089
Highest clocked on the market without paying an arm and a leg.

Cooler, look at the Cooler Master Glacer 240L or Swiftech H220-X. Both are much better than an H110.

PSU, is definitely overkill. Check out the 850W G2 instead.

The 5960 was a personal splurge. Originally I was just aiming for a chip that could do 40-lanes, which I believe most of the 6-cores from that batch can do...but I'll admit I saw shiny object and the idea of having the top chip with 8 cores, 20mb cache, etc, gave me the evil grin...

I would jump to a lower watt PSU except that I already had the 1000w EVGA unit, so essentially that part of the build was free. It'll only suck up what I ask of it anyway. Besides, it's going to be on a 900w UPS, so it has a ceiling, :p

Get a 5930K and call it a day. Save $400+.

The UPS has nothing to do with it, but ok. :)

EDIT: There is also nothing wrong with that MSI board. I believe I reviewed it. ;)

The Cooler Master Glacer 240L was nice, but it was louder and had smaller fans than the Corsair H110. The expandable part didn't really float me as if I decide to spend the money on a water-cooled SLI VGA setup, I'll switch to a real water cooling setup. I've already replaced the fans on my H110 with a pair of Cougar 140 units so it's even quieter and flows more. The Glacer was also out of stock. :)

The Swiftech H220-X wasn't available and didn't rate as well on the sites I looked at (including newegg). Plus I wanted quieter and bigger fans. I set my search criteria at 140mm and didn't look down.

Not shooting things down, I appreciate the response. Just explaining my direction.

Built, functioning and loaded! Ready to tune up and start transferring files. :)

Okay, got a chance to run a few benchmarks.

WE:
CPUScore : 8.8
D3DScore : 8.9
DiskScore : 8.2
GraphicsScore : 8.9
MemoryScore : 8.8
TimeTaken : MostR
WinSATAssessmentState : 1
WinSPRLevel : 8.2

3DMark FireStrike:
Graphics score: 13929
Physics score: 15781
Combined score: 5269
Score: 12146

I ran SkyDiver just for the heck of it:
Graphics score: 44635
Physics score: 15997
Combined score: 28930
Score: 33742

I haven't tweaked anything yet. I'm pretty sure I can clock the crud out of this CPU (at default of 3Ghz). Not sure about the RAM but that can go up a little, too I wager.

Back