• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Tick Against Asus...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
So this past year, I purchased (at the time) the second best non-commercial router that Asus produced (RT-AC66U). It was working absolutely perfectly while down at school until the beginning of December when the router started randomly rebooting, reassigning local IP addresses, and in general dropping connections with both wired and wireless clients. Being somewhat technically capable (as most of us on here are), I logged onto the router and updated firmwares, ran factory resets and the lot. I even emailed Asus and followed the instructions given to me by a 'technical representative'. All of these didn't change a thing with the drops, and what started out as a connection drop once or twice a day became a constant stream of dropped connections and router reboots (almost every 5-10 minutes).

I called Asus yesterday and was on hold for 20 minutes and was never connected. Today I called again and luckily waited only 5 minutes this time. Now I have done RMAs in the past with multiple companies and never had issues (Asus included). But this time was different. I was trying to setup an Advanced RMA so I didn't have 2 weeks of internet downtime (I live with 5 other people, so we can't have 2 weeks of no internet at the start of the Spring semester). I was put on hold again, and then told the my representative that was not an option. I couldn't even give a CC number to charge for a new router while they send me a working one and I send back my non-working one. I was basically told that advanced RMAs no longer exist at Asus and that I have no option but to send in my unit (paying for shipping, of course), and wait however long it takes them to 'repair' my router. I can tell you all right now, the hardware in this router is faulty. With both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios on, the reboot cycle is every 5 minutes, almost like clockwork. There is no firmware or user error here. It's kaput.

So now I have really no option but to buy a new router and send this one in to be 'repaired'. So I am going to buy a new router, pay to send this broken one in, and then 2 weeks later receive the exact same router back saying it passed all tests. :bang head

As you can tell, I am not happy with Asus. Looks like I'll be moving on to MSI and Gigabyte products. :rolleyes:

Another Screwed User's Story

At least yours didn't catch fire, like mine did.

ASUS routers?

This is the reason I don't buy waffle house automobiles. :p

Being serious... that sucks though. Sheesh.

ASUS routers?

Asus routers are actually incredibly well reviewed. I love my N66U.

But that really sucks Chance, makes me reconsider upgrading to an AC Asus router at some point, will probably look at a different brand. If only logitech made routers, they are the company that has had the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Hehe, exactly. The same reason I don't ask my mechanic to bake me some cookies. He may be good at it, but I'd rather go to a bakery. :rofl:

(I know they make good products (( for pete's sake I said "being serious" earlier), just having fun, but I tend to stick with Linksys, Belkin, etc for my routers).

But that really sucks Chance, makes me reconsider upgrading to an AC Asus router at some point, will probably look at a different brand. If only logitech made routers, they are the company that has had the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Both Logitech and G.SKILL, best service I've seen.

That said, my TPLink Archer C7 has been flawless, sounds like what you're looking for.

Another Screwed User's Story

At least yours didn't catch fire, like mine did.

I'm actually pointing a fan at it now. I have a hunch it may be overheating. Not certain yet though.

ASUS routers?

+1 to what Don says below. Their routers are well reviewed and I had checked up a lot before I bought this one (especially being so high end, it was like $150+).

Oh, don't get me wrong. When it works, it works amazingly. Our apartment is probably 60-70 feet long and 30-40 feet wide (4 person living) and we have great signal everywhere in the place. It's just the customer support is really lacking. :(

Damn I guess you don't want to buy this ED? :D
Chance you have a PM.
View attachment 158841

Replied!

Asus makes good mobos and video cards anything beyond that is a crap shoot IMHO. That being said For something like a router i will only ever buy Netgear or linksys cause they are the router people ( i have had both take a crap on me but at the same time i have had both work greatly over the years) Review are just that Reviews people like it or complain about it it usually a good product gets a bad review because some ding dong buys it bends something here or breaks something there and calls them selves a tech expert then gives it a bad review. (ABSOLUTELY NO PUN INTENDED) But this is why i don't always go by reviews. i go with experience asus has had a ton of experience in mobos and video cards thats all i buy from them and never had a complaint in the 25 years i have used them only one time was i disapointed when a RAMBUS 478 board crapped out, it was time to upgrade anyway. any other board i ever busted was my FAULT. that being said i don't wanna seem like a D**K DUDE but you might wanna cut your losses and purchase a NETGEAR or LINKSYS.

Asus makes good mobos and video cards anything beyond that is a crap shoot IMHO. That being said For something like a router i will only ever buy Netgear or linksys cause they are the router people ( i have had both take a crap on me but at the same time i have had both work greatly over the years) Review are just that Reviews people like it or complain about it it usually a good product gets a bad review because some ding dong buys it bends something here or breaks something there and calls them selves a tech expert then gives it a bad review. (ABSOLUTELY NO PUN INTENDED) But this is why i don't always go by reviews. i go with experience asus has had a ton of experience in mobos and video cards thats all i buy from them and never had a complaint in the 25 years i have used them only one time was i disapointed when a RAMBUS 478 board crapped out, it was time to upgrade anyway. any other board i ever busted was my FAULT. that being said i don't wanna seem like a D**K DUDE but you might wanna cut your losses and purchase a NETGEAR or LINKSYS.

I'll probably end up with a Linksys if this ends up dead. I still have an early revision WRT-54G working back at my house that has been powered down like 3-4 times in the last 5 years. What a beast of a router.

It's been my experience that the larger the company, the more scripted the customer service. Those CSRs don't have the permissions given their supervisor, who don't have the permissions given the VP of sales/marketing, etc.

Conversely, smaller companies don't generally have the huge R&D budgets, cutting edge manufacturing, and competitive scale, etc.

Stuck in the middle again. I feel a song coming on.

@ChanceCoats123

if you still need another router, get a Netgear R6250 and flash dd-wrt to it. i have a r6250 running DD-WRT kong 25090 and its working great for WDS and NAS programs including transmission.

and if i were you, keep a Linksys E3000 around as a spare.

Thanks to everyone who offered to send me a router, I greatly appreciate that!

On the bright side, I may not be needing one at all. Yesterday, I had time to think to myself, and I realized that the rebooting problems got much worse when both Wifi radios were on. I could make the problem less persistent by turning off the 5GHz radio (for the sake of compatibility I kept the 2.4GHz radio on). This got me thinking that maybe heat was a factor. I was keeping the router on the shelf by our cable box and modem and there was no active airflow, but there was plenty of space for the air to move around. The router would be warm to the touch, but never hot and it didn't seem like the cause of the problem.

Anyway, I pulled out a fan and decided to point it at the router on low and turn both radios back on. So knocking on wood, and preparing to eat my own words, I dare say that the router has not rebooted in almost 24 hours with both radios fully functional. Which brings me to my next point... If this router can't sit with both radios on, and work correctly without active air cooling, I think this was a clear design flaw.

Both Logitech and G.SKILL, best service I've seen.

That said, my TPLink Archer C7 has been flawless, sounds like what you're looking for.

TP Link is recently weirdly good for the price. 1/4 Cisco price while it's working better in houses with thick walls etc.
In my old work we had distribution of TP Link and tests were like: flash new firmware, not working = instant replacement just because it was so cheap. 100-300%+ margin and still $50 for a router in retail. It's not perfect but usually works good and is cheap so can be easily replaced.

ASUS is not convincing me with network gear, monitors and laptops. Just too many various issues with some series.

Got an ASUS RT-N66U a few months ago to replace my dying and overburdened WRT54g (x2)... it's been great thus far and has not given me any trouble. I've been extremely pleased with it and also bought it based almost entirely on all the stellar user and website reviews.

I hope it doesn't kaput on me - I think I paid about $120.

TP Link is recently weirdly good for the price. 1/4 Cisco price while it's working better in houses with thick walls etc.
In my old work we had distribution of TP Link and tests were like: flash new firmware, not working = instant replacement just because it was so cheap. 100-300%+ margin and still $50 for a router in retail. It's not perfect but usually works good and is cheap so can be easily replaced.

ASUS is not convincing me with network gear, monitors and laptops. Just too many various issues with some series.

Well it's funny because I have all of those things. This 23 inch monitor has never given me so much as a flicker (knock on wood), and I bought a second-hand 13 inch Asus laptop that is my little reliable beast. LOL

Got an ASUS RT-N66U a few months ago to replace my dying and overburdened WRT54g (x2)... it's been great thus far and has not given me any trouble. I've been extremely pleased with it and also bought it based almost entirely on all the stellar user and website reviews.

I hope it doesn't kaput on me - I think I paid about $120.

It's been up and running almost 2 straight days and the wifi has been great, no wireless or wired clients have lost connection. I went ahead and ordered a USB powered fan to plug into the on-router USB ports to keep her cool from now on. :thup:

Update: On the brightside, I no longer have to eat my words from the OP. The router is dead. Heat was not the issue, as the problems have been persisting recently. I'll be sending a PM over to Mandrake since he contacted me first.

I've now got three posts in a row, but I figured I should update this thread to reflect my service. I sent the router back and it was returned to me quickly. Less than 2 weeks total turn around with shipping time included. The router I received has a completely different S/N and the sheet of paper they sent me as well shows the old router was in fact dead. The new router is working right now and I'll keep everyone in the loop as to how it continues to run.

Back