• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parental control software for Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trottel

I'm looking for software that can put time limits on a user account, and it would be even better if I could also put limits on different programs individually. I don't care about web filtering whatsoever. For example, the user can only be logged in for at most 3 hours a day, and can't be logged in after 11 PM at night. Or that some games can't be played on a weeknight. I came across a couple of different programs in beta from several years ago or longer, but nothing that works now. When I search for stuff like this, most replies to similar questions seem to just be parenting lessons and not any help finding a solution to this problem. If there is one thing I will give Microsoft, it is that they do provide options for all of this stuff, but I would much rather not go there. Thanks.

Have you checked out Gnome Nanny? or perhaps Timekpr

My son is 2, so I dont have to worry about any of this stuff yet...

Yep, those were the only two things I ran across. They are rather old and never got finished. Some people commented that they no longer function even as of several years ago. But I guess it can't hurt to try them.

personally, i would discuss time limits with your kids. i mean for me, my parents said that as long as i go to bed before midnight, they are cool about it. i also remember how they used to pull the modem or router every time someone in the house broke those time limits.

-ANYNET-

but if i were you, i would get a wrt54g or wrt300n, flash it with dd-wrt or tomato, set time limits for that kids computer, and then hook the kids computer up to it.

You can always do it the hacky way and write your own. :) It wouldn't be difficult assuming you have a decent working knowledge of shell scripting and Linux. A cron job running as a privileged user that tallies how long a given user is logged in, and once it reaches a threshold lock the account. Another cron job that runs every morning would unlock all accounts and reset the tally.

I ended up installing a newer version of timekpr I found that works with the latest versions of Ubuntu.

Back