• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New phones on their way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

Just signed up to continue my contract with the cell provider, added a second line to the account, and phones will hopefully arrive today/tomorrow, got a galaxy s5 for $99 and a nexus 6 for $149.
Really hoping I can deal with the huge size of the nexus 6, but it should be nice to get back on some pure android from Google! If I can't deal with the size, hopefully it will make someone else happy and me richer.

Ooo...I'd like to hear what you think of the Nexus 6, and what ROM you end up with. Same with the S5, just for general knowledge here on the forum. It looks like Alliancerom is still developing for the S devices (though dev is slim now with Samsung's locked bootloaders); if there is one for your carrier, I'd recommend it. That ROM ran great on my S3 for two years. :)

the S5 is going to be the girlfriends phone, so no flashing of new roms on that one will be happening.
and yeah, i'll really need to look into the different roms for the nexus 6, gonna leave it on stock google for the first little bit, just incase the huge size of it ends up being more of a bother to me than I am willing to deal with. but once i decide that im keeping it, its open season for new rom testing!

Screenshot_2015-01-24-11-00-08.png
Got the phones yesterday, haven't done much yet, but there's the nexus 6 on ice storm unlimited 3d mark.
Took some pictures, but need to get onto my PC to resize them before I can upload to the forums.
I knew this phone was big, but every time I pick it up it surprises me all over again.
My first 1440p screen, shame it's only 6 inches big!
Its fast, responsive, and I'm quite liking it so far.

Last edited:
I'm caught in a big debate on which phone to go with. Either Nexus 6 or Note 4....... :drool:
I love samsung products and I already have the MHL adapter and Smart Dock (So i can basically use my Phone as a desktop pc).

Can the Nexus 6 do this without a dock? I haven't found much info on it and I know 99% of people do not use their phone as a desktop pc. I'm just curious if it has a desktop mode and allows you to use a mouse and keyboard. If not that's a bummer for me and I will definitely be going with the note 4.

My galaxy S4 at the moment is my everything. My desktop pc that I work from, my gaming rig (with the help of my moga and mhl), all my scheduling and planning is done on it. It's crazy few years ago I never would of imagined my phone would be basically my go to gadget for all my tech needs lol rarely use my desktop or pull out my ancient laptop unless it's for something speciality like pen testing etc. Even then I can manage to get some of that done from my phone lol.

Wow, that's dedication to your mobile devices! I couldn't imagine using one as a desktop...it just never occurred to me. Very interesting.

As for device, Nexus 6 without a doubt simply because Samsung has their devices so locked down people can't even flash the OS they want. You won't need a dock so much as a Qi charging station. Put the phone on one of those, plug in your MHL adapter, pair up a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and desktop-it-up. :)

So it has a desktop mode then where if fills the screen? Cause without the smart dock for my galaxy it will not go into desktop mode stupid samsung forces the dock on you. If i do go with a nexus the samsung stuff will still be handy my wife wants my s4 and ill just trade in her moto x.

It is strange how much I use my phone lol but it's just so nice to marry everything to one device. Prior to my s4 i was rocking my bionic and a lapdock lol and i loved it.

I'm not sure if the nexus 6 supports mhl.
It does work with Chromecast though, so one of those can be used to put what's on the screen onto any display with an HDMI port, and I think they cost around $40.

To the guy wanting to know if he should go from an s4 to a note 4.... I did, and I love it. It's leaps and bounds better than the s4 in terms of speed, screen, and overall use. The battery is also insanely good. It drains slowly AND it charges very fast when you do need to charge it. I can go to work and have it in my pocket for 8 hours and then when I leave it's still at like 90%. My s4 would be at around 50% at this point. A quick charge on my way home from work in the car and it's 100% by the time I get home. A few days ago I tried to test it out via light usage and no charging and it lasted for 3 days! My s4 would have never lasted that long...

If you stay stock, the note 4 is amazing. I also liked the camera a lot more than the nexus 6 when I tested it out in the store. Real life usage the camera on the note is quite fantastic. Great features and takes good pictures, plus the phone is just so snappy in every day usage. I never have to wait for loading of anything.

So it has a desktop mode then where if fills the screen? Cause without the smart dock for my galaxy it will not go into desktop mode stupid samsung forces the dock on you. If i do go with a nexus the samsung stuff will still be handy my wife wants my s4 and ill just trade in her moto x.

It is strange how much I use my phone lol but it's just so nice to marry everything to one device. Prior to my s4 i was rocking my bionic and a lapdock lol and i loved it.

Honestly I'm not sure. I looked up MHL adapter and it looked like a plug-and-play sort of thing (one that I hadn't heard of before TBH), so I just assumed. Definitely worth doing the research before buying of course.

So been using the phone for a bit now, speakers sound great, stock android is good, there's just so many choices of android on XDA that I could try, I'm not sure which to try first!

Aiight, I'll give that a shot. And I'll give francokernal a shot at the same time I think. Performance is already good though, and I'm happy with the battery life as well!
also got a tempered glass screen protector, holy smokes is that ever nicer than those stupid plastic screen protectors!

Last edited:
I just upgraded to 5.1 on my nexus 6, that was a nice little performance upgrade. Phone feels much quicker, apparently they turned off the deactivating of the cores, and the slow down/speed up of the cores, and somehow that improved the battery life! Just updated this morning, but we shall see if the battery thing ends up happening.

Donno what it did before, but with stock 5.1 it gets 49.8k in that antutu benchmark.
Screenshot_2015-03-25-08-23-06.png Screenshot_2015-03-25-08-27-52.png

I just upgraded to 5.1 on my nexus 6, that was a nice little performance upgrade. Phone feels much quicker, apparently they turned off the deactivating of the cores, and the slow down/speed up of the cores, and somehow that improved the battery life! Just updated this morning, but we shall see if the battery thing ends up happening.

Donno what it did before, but with stock 5.1 it gets 49.8k in that antutu benchmark.
View attachment 161594View attachment 161595

Good :D but who cares about benchamrks ?:D (btw, you got higher than the note 4 i feel jealous :D)

Back