• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a girl out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LongSlenderBody

Registered
Hey guys, I'm upgrading from my old ASrock z68, 2500k setup and am looking for some advice on a reliable mobo for overclocking..

My system specs are

i7 4790k
coolermaster 750w PSU
evga FTW 970 gtx (acx 2.0)
1x 8gb crucial 1600mhz
coolermaster nepton 140XL
coolermaster CM690 III mid tower
3x LG neoblade IPS (lg24mp76hm) 24" IPS montors
m.2 480gb crucial SSD M500

My goal is to play Crysis 3, Tomb Raider and BF4 at 5760x1080 res..

I know I am pushing it with only a single 970, but I only have about another $200-250 to spend and if I have left over, I'd spend it on another 8gb ram

I have read that you can push the EVGA FTW a little further but I'm more interested in pushing the 4790K and perhaps the RAM to get me home..

It has to be compatible with the M.2 as I messed up buying it instead of the sata and I can't send it back..

Any Suggestions?

I use the z97 extreme 9, great board even with a few to many features, and will get all i can get out of my 4790K

The OP only has a 140mm ALC cooler. Even an ASRock Z97 Anniversary, with it's mediocre 4 phase VRM would be sufficient for any kind of overclock that cooler could achieve.
I think the best choices for the OP are the ASRock Extreme 4 and Extreme 6, depending on whether she wants a second M.2 slot.

At that res, overclocking your cpu with a single gpu really won't help much. You are better off saving for another 970 and geting another stick of ram. Once you go sli, you will want the dual channel ram and the bandwidth/throughput it offers.

That said, I would also think an ex4/6 or other boards in tbat price range would be fine.

I've been thinking it over and after reading a thousand reviews on different mobo's and with your advice, I might just go for the ASRock extreme4. It's cheap for what it is and like mentioned, the cooler is the weakspot of the system for overclocking so I might just run a modest OC and save up for another 970.

$ for $ it seems that a second GPU will give the best increase in performance over a more expensive mobo with better VRM etc..

Thanks for the help!!

At that res, overclocking your cpu with a single gpu really won't help much. You are better off saving for another 970 and geting another stick of ram. Once you go sli, you will want the dual channel ram and the bandwidth/throughput it offers.

That said, I would also think an ex4/6 or other boards in tbat price range would be fine.

I'll have to test with the mobo I get and see what sort of FPS I get. I understand that overclocking the cpu is likely only to get me a few extra FPS but perhaps that is all I need. I've had the 970 in my current system for a month and I LOVE this card and would not think twice about getting another if the combo I'm buying isn't up to the task..

Last edited by a moderator:
$ for $ it seems that a second GPU will give the best increase in performance over a more expensive mobo with better VRM etc..
absolutely. You won't get much in most titles at that res as it's not cpu bound and the gpu isn't held back. Your weak points at that res is the gpu and sing me channel ram, particularly once you go dual gpu. When you get.your second, get the ram with it or be faced with a low glass ceiling on your cards.

avrage oc on the 4790k is a little under 5ghz on liquid (millage varies obviously) but i don't see why any decent asrock board wouldn't suffice. how ever your coming off of a z68 platform. if your mobo supports a 3770K its not entirely that much slower than the 4790K about 17% percent difference plug the 3770K will easily do 4+ghz that way you can use the extra money to get a better GPU like a gtx980 or possibly faster ram and or more of it

more ram first, with that res another GPU, then a quad core with ocing. in that order IMO, since running single channel really is going to be a big limiting factor in the cpu feeding the gpus.

if you go with a m.2 SSD, i would suggest getting the extreme 6 with its m.2 ultra slot. it has shown that using that slot on current m.2 ssd's has a nice boost over the regular m.2 slot. also i would get a higher VRM based board with ocing a quad core, as well as think about upgrading the cooling too. this way with a dual GPU setup and a quad clocked at 4ghz and above should get the most out of a dual gpu.

Buying on interest free from kogan = ilmited choices. It's cheap though and another stick I can afford to buy if they didn't totally mess up my order

Finger hovering over 'Confirm and Pay'

CPU 5820k
Mobo EVGA x99 FTW
Cooler Cooler master nepton 140XL
Case Cooler master CM690 III
Power Xigmatek 750w
GC EVGA 970 gtx FTW
Ram 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 2400
Storage 256gig Crucial M550 SSD
Monitors3x LG 24" IPS 60hz

Sound ok? I'm balking at taking the last step and throwing 2.6k into the wind...

Priority order

1) 1080p (view to 4k eventually) content creation
2) OC'ing adventures
3) Iracing 5760x1080
4) BF4, Farcry etc...
5) Flexing

Last edited:
Hey the merchant screwed my order so I spent the last week getting money back, it finally did today.

Going through someone else with a full range now so decided to take out all of my savings and go as hard as I can to get what I want..

Ended up ditching the 4790k base because I'm doing a Film degree I thought I should go for a x99 build for content creation...
I understand for pure gaming the 4790k would beat a 5820k on most games (Especially with the left over money I could get a second 970), but I'm gonna go that way..

Still tossing up which mobo to go, I've chosen everything else and have $330 left over..

I'm thinking EVGA x99 FTW... Is there better options to match the system in the price range though? I'm so close to buying it, I'm just second guessing myself again...

Cooler; Cooler master nepton 140XL (Already have)
Case; Cooler master CM690 III
Power; Xigmatek 750w (Already have)
GC; EVGA 970 gtx FTW
Ram; 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 2400
Storage; 256gig Crucial M550 SSD (already have)

Well, you would have wanted 4x sticks of ram as x99 is quad channel.

Not sure how good the xigmatek psu is... You may want to look up a review on it...

I reviewed the ftw and it was solid out of the gate.

Switching to 4x4gb its the same price anyway phew, I still had the dual channel in the cart from building the z97 that I ditched.

Thanks Earthdog you just saved me from making a pretty stupid mistake again.

Thanks for the review too, it was that and an OC Formula review which swayed me toward the EVGA

Last edited:
5820k YES
Mobo EVGA x99 FTW OVERKILL
Cooler Cooler master nepton 140XL UNDERKILL
Case Cooler master CM690 III YES
Power Xigmatek 750w EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W
GC EVGA 970 gtx FTW READ UP ON RECENTLY LEAKED MEMORY ISSUE. IF THAT'S OK WITH U, YES
Ram 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 2400 4 CHANNEL PLATFORM = 4 STICKS OF RAM. GET A 4x4 KIT
Storage 256gig Crucial M550 SSD YES
Monitors3x LG 24" IPS 60hz DO YOU PLAN TO GAME ON ALL 3? WITH A SINGLE 970? YOU'LL HAVE POOR RESULTS. IN OLD GAMES IT'LL BE OK THOUGH.

So you do need to make adjustments before you buy. Also, no HDD?

256GB is not enough storage for a modern PC. You're going to run out of room really fast. I'd suggest adding a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue drive.

Back