• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS STRIX GTX 960 Graphics Card Review With SLI Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

With NVIDIA's release of the GTX 960 GPU today, ASUS was kind enough to provide a pair of their STRIX GTX 960 OC Edition cards for us to check out. Obviously, having two of these will allow us to perform SLI testing in addition to our normal test routine. The ASUS STRIX GTX 960 comes complete with a factory overclock (OC Edition) and their proprietary DirectCU II cooler featuring 0dB fan technology. The GTX 960 series of graphics cards is intended to be an affordable option that still offers the Maxwell GPU performance, low power consumption, and excellent thermals we've come to appreciate in the GTX 970 and GTX 980 models that preceded it. So, let's find out what NVIDIA and ASUS have in store for us this time around!
Click here to view the article.

Great review!

However, beyond quiet operation, I see zero draw to this card when you can find 290s for as little as $250 and 280Xs for $220 or lower (and knock off another $50-$75 if you go used).

I think they needed to make the 960 closer in performance to a 770 (or 280X) in order to make it appealing.

Great review!

However, beyond quiet operation, I see zero draw to this card when you can find 290s for as little as $250 and 280Xs for $220 or lower (and knock off another $50-$75 if you go used).

I think they needed to make the 960 closer in performance to a 770 (or 280X) in order to make it appealing.

Think ITX here.
Short PCB, 120W TDP.

Power draw, yea, but is short PCB really that big a deal? I think there are plenty of ITX cases out now (all the best ones, really) that will more than support full size cards. Not to mention, weren't there issues with the 970 Strix and MSI Gaming being too "tall"?

I don't see how you can release a $200+ GPU in January of 2015 and expect people to turn down video settings at 1080P.

EDIT: 4.77" on the 960 STRIX, 5.5" on the 970, so they did decrease the height.

I still feel, however, that this card is aimed at the "average gamer" as is the x60 card in every Nvidia generation. The average gamer has a case which will more than accommodate larger cards. I just don't think there is enough value in a smaller card, when you're sacrificing that performance.

EDIT2: Looked up an old 760 review. Performance (in BF4 at least - didn't look through the other benchmarks) is the same compared to the 960...

Sure, less heat/power draw/size, but really?

Last edited:
Back