• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H81M-S2PV motherboard - overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

Hello guys!

I have a H81M-S2PV motherboard. My current specs are: i5 4440 and GTX660. I am thinking of upgrading to a i7 4790k and GTX970, in addition to a better PSU, SSD and a CPU cooler. My question is:
Will my motherboard limit my better CPU/GPU. I know that my motherboard is a very cheap board, but I am asking if the CPU/GPU would run better on lets say a £300 motherboard? I am also thinking to overclock my new CPU from 4.0GHz to 4.5GHz, will this motherboard allow me to do that? And achieve the EXACTLY SAME effect as I would on an expensive "gaming" motherboard?

Another question would be:
I have a 8GB stick of ram running at 1330MHz, software like CPU-Z or Speccy shows that it runs only at half of that. Checking in the BIOS it said my RAM is 1330MHz indeed. Is my RAM not running at full potential then?

I thank everybody who at least tries to help me!

That mobo will likely limit overclocking, absolutely. The problem isn;t exactly the cost of it, just that it doesn't have overclocking options in the first place. In most cases, I wouldn't worry about the power delivery, but that thing has like 2 phases and they are not heatsinked. Get another board.

As far as a good bang for your buck board, grab the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6. Lots O features and will easily handle 4.5Ghz(any ambient) overclocking. Its $165 at newegg.com (unsure how much across the pond).

In the BIOS I do indeed have options to overclock, and it is a pretty user-friendly interface, so I don't know why u say it doesn't have overclocking options?

The second point you made is about 2 phases not being heatsinked, which I don't understand at all? Can you explain for dummies?

Third point would be: What if I decide to leave it not overclocked? Will the board handle both the GPU and the CPU as any other board?

Thanks for the fast response, unfortunately I was not so fast :p

H81 boards generally do not.

The power phase thing. Look around the socket, See those big squares (2 @ 12 oclock and 1 @ 9 oclock?) those are part of the power phases that, well, power the CPU. I believe its a 2+1 setups where 2 power the CPU and one powers the memory. With a dual core or quad without hyperthreading would likely be ok there, but you are looking to go with a high end highly overclockable CPU. When you overclock this logically puts a lot more stress on the power delivery areas which makes things hot. With there only being two of them and they are no heatsinks on it, they will likely get hot.

If you want to overclock a 4790K, you will want a better board to do so.

Okay, thank you for your answer. But I would like to know if the CPU/GPU will perform as good on this motherboard WITHOUT overclocking, i repeat WITHOUT! If they do, I will not charge the board(for now) because I simply don't have the budget for it, and I will not buy a cheaper cpu/gpu just because of the board. I have a load of case fans, like 6? So I think the temperature of my motherboard is decent, is it 28 degrees right now as I am typing. So i repeat, can I get the same performance on NON-OVERCLOCKED CPU/GPU on this motherboard than the one you suggested? And btw, if I did buy this board the screws are in different places I guess? So how would I screw the board on.

Thanks again my bro!

It will perform fine without overclocking, yep. Just make sure the 4790k is compatible with that board in the first place. You may knee to upate your bios . See mobo website for support details.

Also mobo temp is NOT the power delivery are temp. ;)

Okay, thank you very much! :) I will buy a CPU cooler so the CPU itself is cool enough, and will leave it at that. I already checked and indeed it does support it. So thank you for your help, what will I do is buy the CPU/GPU without overclocking, thank you my friend!

The very very final thing I will bother you about is what SSD your recommend (cheap ones) and what Power supply do you recommend for these specs:

GTX970
i7 4790k
1 stick 8GB
Around 6 FANS

And do generally SSD's come with a SATA cable?

@@@EDIT@@@

So I used this calculator: http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine2

It showed that the minimum would be 363W, that is very small IMHO. I currently have a PSU of 550W good quality(1 year old). So do you think PSU 550 would be enough for this, or should I buy a 750W one, what is your opinion on that my friend?

Make sure the bios version you have supports the cpu. You may need to update it for support since its an 8 series board and the cpu you are getting is native to 9 series.

What brand and model is the psu? It's age doesn't determine quality ;). If it's a decent psu, 550w will be fine, including.overclocking.

SSDs don't come with them, your motherboard does.

The brand is Corsair 550VS, I belive it is good enough because compared to some crap 750W PSU's it costs more. Costs around £55 pounds on eBay.

And how would I check it in the BIOS? <- That got my pretty worried :p Would you mind giving me some instructions on how to do so? This is exactly how my BIOS looks like:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...igabyte_ga-h81m-s2pv%2F%3Flang%3Dru;1920;1080

@@@ EDIT @@@

Also an important question - When I would finally get my new graphics card, should I plug both of my monitors into the card, or plug one into the intergrated graphics (this is how it is now). Does it relief stress of my main GPU if I plug one card into intergrated graphics, or how does this work? (Both of my monitors don't have HDMI) <-- I know, crap xD

Last edited:
The brand is Corsair 550VS, I belive it is good enough because compared to some crap 750W PSU's it costs more. Costs around £55 pounds on eBay.

And how would I check it in the BIOS? <- That got my pretty worried :p Would you mind giving me some instructions on how to do so? This is exactly how my BIOS looks like:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...igabyte_ga-h81m-s2pv%2F%3Flang%3Dru;1920;1080

@@@ EDIT @@@

Also an important question - When I would finally get my new graphics card, should I plug both of my monitors into the card, or plug one into the intergrated graphics (this is how it is now). Does it relief stress of my main GPU if I plug one card into intergrated graphics, or how does this work? (Both of my monitors don't have HDMI) <-- I know, crap xD

No, you plug your monitor into the new GPU. Plugging it into the motherboard does nothing if you have a GPU installed ;)

For the BIOS check, just go into your BIOS and see if you can find the version number. Shouldn't be hidden or anything, first page is my guess. Then check Gigabyte's website to see if the BIOS version you have is the newest AND your CPU is on the support list they will have for your motherboard.

I would check for you, but Giga's website won;t load for me today :-/

No, you plug your monitor into the new GPU. Plugging it into the motherboard does nothing if you have a GPU installed ;)

For the BIOS check, just go into your BIOS and see if you can find the version number. Shouldn't be hidden or anything, first page is my guess. Then check Gigabyte's website to see if the BIOS version you have is the newest AND your CPU is on the support list they will have for your motherboard.

I would check for you, but Giga's website won;t load for me today :-/

I don't agree with you on this point, because I currently have one graphics card plugged into the motherboard (which is the intergrated graphics, right?) And the other monitor into my GTX660, and both of them work.

I don't agree with you on this point, because I currently have one graphics card plugged into the motherboard (which is the intergrated graphics, right?) And the other monitor into my GTX660, and both of them work.

That's kinda pointless...

Why not plug both monitors into the GTX660 then?

I think he meant performance wise. :)

Oh right, thanks

@UP

Because I thought that if I plug in one into the integrated graphics, then it would not put extra pressure on the single GPU, it would put some tension on the integrated graphics which I don't even use.

OVERALL:

So are you guys sure the Corsair 550VS will run my GTX970 and i7 4790k + the SSD I wish to buy? I wan't to buy 100% certain, I will not risk the 1% burning my specs that cost £600 ...

Last edited:
Okay. So i just read that if the graphics card has a 3.0 PCI port and it is being plugged in to 2.0 PCI port it reduces performance, by very very little, but still it reduces it. That got me mad quite a bit and I think I am going to invest into this new motherboard. The only problem I have is that I can't find anywhere if all my components will be compatible, sorry for bombarding you guys with questions but:

Can you guys suggest me a new PSU for ASRock Z97 Extreme 6(or any other board, cheaper if possible - because for example there are some things I don't need in this board for example LAN connection, sata ports etc.) And would you be able to find if my RAM will be compatible with this board? It is a single 8GB stick Crucial @ 1333MHz. I can't seem to find it on the internet for some reason. I wouldn't want to be changing my RAM as well, that just goes waaay over my budget since I am only a student!

Thank you for all your help so far guys! I appreciate it very much!

PCIe (PCI Express) port. :)

The difference is 1% on average for 1080p and a MUCH faster card. To that end, its not worth it on just that point and shouldn't have gotten you mad.

Well, you don't size a PSU by your motherboard, but by the whole system. That said, a 970 and a 4790K, even overclocked, will run well on a QUALITY 550W PSU. If you plan on running SLI in the future, go 750W (like EVGA Supernova G2). The Seasonic G series is a great PSU at the 550W area. There are likely better bang for your buck models out, have a look in my signature for the approved PSU's thread. ;)

You should be changing your ram to a dual stick/dual channel setup as you are losing some performance there (more to be mad about there than the paltry 1% you are losing with PCIe lanes) as well as the 'slow' 1333Mhz it runs at. That said, each board has a website, and on that website they have a memory compatibility chart. Another point to consider is that those lists only mean what is TESTED. So if something is not on the list that doesn't mean it won't work. So long as its DDR3, 1.5v it should work.

So finally making my decision I decided that I will stay with my motherboard because I will not overclock, and if not, why buy a better one? I am also going to exchange my 1x8GB Crucial RAM stick for 2x4GB Corsair Vegnance Blue sticks(for the dual channel). I will also stay with my PSU as you said a 550W will be enough even for overclocking, and so I will not then Corsair 550VS should be enough right?

Thank you for all your help & advice and I hope the facts that you mentioned are correct and I will not burn my components haha! Cheers EarthDog the most :)

Back