• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 870 Overclock - What cooler do i need? (budget)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metropolis

Hello i'm new to this forum.

I have a Intel core i7 870 , and i'm not sure what cooler i have.

I have the Packard Bell iPower x3.0 PC maybe anyone can help me finding out what is cooling my CPU?

Anyway, i need a budget cooler to overclock this 870 processor to atleast 3.5-4.0 GHZ.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

Arco Hanekamp

You would need to know what the motherboard is. Most prebuilt units don't have overclocking options in the bios. Right now it's likely the stock intel heatsink on the cpu.

Hello, my motherboard model is: iPower G5800

26356af84ec2f0b81fea1c047068552a.png

I'm really new in this so i hope someone can help me out here.

That's definitely a custom board for packard. I can't find much info on it, let alone a manual. I was hoping to see the bios so I could find if there are any OC options at all. When you start your PC can you even access your bios?
Also why do you want to OC, for gaming?

That's definitely a custom board for packard. I can't find much info on it, let alone a manual. I was hoping to see the bios so I could find if there are any OC options at all. When you start your PC can you even access your bios?
Also why do you want to OC, for gaming?

Yes i can definitely acces my bios and i have found a tutorial on youtube to overclock it. Also i want to OC For gaming yes, i have a old cpu but i can make the most of it by overclocking so i dont have to buy a new one. And this will save me so much money and will give me so much more power.

The video:

Last edited:
Does your BIOS have overclocking options like the YT vid you posted? If so, did you try anything from that video? Typically, most OEM boards like that do NOT have overclocking options...

Does your BIOS have overclocking options like the YT vid you posted? If so, did you try anything from that video? Typically, most OEM boards like that do NOT have overclocking options...

Well the thing is, i do not know what cooler i have and i can't see it when i open my case. so no i didn't try it yet.

You'd likely be further ahead upgrading your video card if it's still the original it'll be very outdated.

You'd likely be further ahead upgrading your video card if it's still the original it'll be very outdated.

Forgot to mention i have upgraded my videocard recently to a MSI GTX 750 TI OC Gaming edition.

What are you load temps (using a stress testing application like Prime 95, small FFT)?

I runned the small FFT one and these are the results:

( my cooler makes a lot of noise then )

I assume this is a way too high temperature and i'm not sure why it's so high.

ab1bc2a62b618caa586caa885fb4603b.png

Last edited:
you have a few more C, but you are almost topped out really. I'm sure if it's an oem pc then it's a crap cooler. It's doing its job at stock.

I'd look into a better cooler, but Lord knows what will fit.in your case.

I.think its time.to save for a new pc that is custom. :)

you have a few more C, but you are almost topped out really. I'm sure if it's an oem pc then it's a crap cooler. It's doing its job at stock.

I'd look into a better cooler, but Lord knows what will fit.in your case.

I.think its time.to save for a new pc that is custom. :)

I have found a cooler that fit my PC and is also recommended for overclocking but i want to hear the opinions on this site.

The CPU Cooler i have now i just standard and is definitely not that good.

I found: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo

You'll not be overclocking at all on that board, sorry. Cooler temps are always a plus though. 750 ti = :thup:

I'd be very surprised if that cooler will fit in your OEM case. Not saying it's not possible, but I'd definitely be surprised.

Back