• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Questions on my rig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FreshJeezy

Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to the overclocking-scene.
And got some questions towards some pros ;)
Here's my rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K 6x 3.30GHz So.2011-3 WOF
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH-Edition Tower
SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo Series 2.5" (6.4cm)
HDD: 1TB WD
Case: Sharkoon T9 Value Blue Edition Midi Tower
GPU: 4096MB Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC
Power Supply: 700 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10
Memory: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16 Quad Kit
Mainboard: MSI X99S SLI PLUS Intel X99 So.2011-3 Quad Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

SO my biggest question is, my CPU doesnt support 2400 clocks but my MB supports this. Would you guys recommend to put the clockrate to 2400 insted of keeping it 2133?
And what guys think of my rig? Anything really bad about it or is it okay?

Greetings FreshJeezy

you should have no issues running the ram at that speed. intels are funky like that my i7 965 EE downed my 1333 ram to 1066 and both my 3770k and 4790K downed my 2133 ram to 1333 by default this has happened to me you can go in and change it your self

you should have no issues running the ram at that speed. intels are funky like that my i7 965 EE downed my 1333 ram to 1066 and both my 3770k and 4790K downed my 2133 ram to 1333 by default this has happened to me you can go in and change it your self

No, it isn't funky.
They go to the max supported frequency if the RAM set is faster than what the IMC is factory rated for.

Not funky at all, it's a very normal behavior.

Good hardware. Why the off-brand El-Cheapo case stuffed with high end hardware though?

Most likely because beyond airflow, cases don't offer any tangible gain as they reach double, triple, or higher than what OP paid for his. No sense in spending a lot of scratch on a case if you find a cheap one that you like the looks of and has the basic features you want. We'll call it a sleeper. :)

Back