• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Need Opinions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hydro Guy

Registered
So its that time in my life after 6 years. Not a bad run! I have 4000 to spend (Canadian after taxes) haha, on a new PC and I' am stoked. Don't need to max out the budget but I want to go another 6+ years with another amazing build. I will be using my comp for gaming and umm well guys know....that is about it....

My thoughts so far.
I have triple monitors now and id like to keep gaming like that. I want to have sli, DDR4 ram for longevity. here is my ideas so far.

-Intel Core i7-5820K Six-Core, Socket LGA2011, 3.3GHz , 15MB L3 Cache, 22nm

-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL14 Quad-Channel DIMMs - Black

-2x MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB GDDR5
- 1216MHz Clock, 7010MHz Memory
- PCI-E 3.0, DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort
Friend of mine keep chirping to get 3, hes like go big man....

-EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 80 Plus Platinum ECO Thermal Control Power Supply SLI Ready 10 Year EVGA Warranty
or $100 difference from what i can find.
-Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply Fully-Modular 1200Watt 80PLUS Platinum Certified w/Corsair Link

-Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive, my OCZ one failed imagine that?? haha
SSD id like to stay with intel or another reliable brand lol.

-MOBO is giving me the most trouble I cannot narrow it down to what i need.

-Hard Drives, disc player, case and water cooling aren't the costly things. Thats after i get my main components.

Not including MOBO where I was going to buy this is $3300 before taxes.

Appreciate any opinions! Thanks in advance!

Wait just a tad longer I'd say. DDR4 is supposed to come out with some MUCH faster speeds which should drive the lower speed ram down.

GTX 980 is probably the choice given the budget, but again, I'd wait a touch longer to get some official specs of the new AMD monsters.

Get a larger SSD in that budget.

Yea I figured im right on the verge of all the new stuff coming out. Usually around March. So hard to wait lol Didn't know about the AMD having some serious stuff coming out. No about any article in particular?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xBsCK8

If you're planning to go custom water, drop the Glacer, and we can have a big discussion about WC parts :)

Thanks for that build looks like i've saved some coin through there.

One day id like to try some custom stuff. For now its closed loop system for me. I look at the Red Harbinger desk comp. and pretty much loose it. ive always wanted to build my own pc desk.

FYI, I put the 5930K because of the extra PCIe lanes, since you'll be going SLI right away.
For closed loop you'll be hard pressed to beat that Glacer unit.

FYI, I put the 5930K because of the extra PCIe lanes, since you'll be going SLI right away.
For closed loop you'll be hard pressed to beat that Glacer unit.

From what i understand the more lanes the better? ill be using sli off the get go so ill need extra if i want to use anymore PCIe in the future?

I would imagine that unit would be able to handle a moderate overclock?

My EVGA 980 has been flawless.

Yes, more lanes are better because you'll get full PCIe 3.0 x16 for both GPU's.

The Glacer will definitely handle a moderate overclock.

My EVGA 980 has been flawless.

Yes, more lanes are better because you'll get full PCIe 3.0 x16 for both GPU's.

The Glacer will definitely handle a moderate overclock.

nvidia tested x8 x8 vs x16 x16 on their new cards ,there was no change in performance. x8 x8 x4 may change the game slightly, but I can't imagine that it would be much of a loss considering what they are putting out these days.

nvidia tested x8 x8 vs x16 x16 on their new cards ,there was no change in performance. x8 x8 x4 may change the game slightly, but I can't imagine that it would be much of a loss considering what they are putting out these days.

Link?

Theres literally hundreds of em boss. The performance loss comparing 16 vs 8 was really really small in pretty much every benchmark that exists. I'll try to find nvidia's thing on this later tonight.

So the general idea is the performance difference isn't enough to justify the extra $200

I don't have the link either ATMINSIDE but I've seen that around a few places. Even with a 980, PCIE 3.0 @ 8Xvs16X is delivering the same results at stock clocks.

I think that for an average "prosumer" (who else is going to buy Haswell-E after all?) the 5820K is fine. Depending on the motherboard, most often you will get 16/8 for 2 way or 8/8/8 for 3 way. Enough to get the job done. I think there is no point to getting anything above the 5820K for a gamer, which by the OP's admission, is all this PC is really going to be used for.

Having said that, I feel like going Haswell-E is sort of a waste of money in this case. Don't let me discourage you from going for it. You should buy whatever you want. It certainly won't perform WORSE than Z97. But it won't perform any better either. At least not now. It is possible that games will come down the pipeline that will be highly CPU intensive and capable of addressing 12 threads intensively and at that point the 5820K will be an indespensable gaming weapon. But until that day, a 4790K, or even a 4c8t Xeon can be had for significantly less CPU, platform, and RAM cost.

Again, don't let me discourage you.

HTH.

I don't have the link either ATMINSIDE but I've seen that around a few places. Even with a 980, PCIE 3.0 @ 8Xvs16X is delivering the same results at stock clocks.

I think that for an average "prosumer" (who else is going to buy Haswell-E after all?) the 5820K is fine. Depending on the motherboard, most often you will get 16/8 for 2 way or 8/8/8 for 3 way. Enough to get the job done. I think there is no point to getting anything above the 5820K for a gamer, which by the OP's admission, is all this PC is really going to be used for.

Having said that, I feel like going Haswell-E is sort of a waste of money in this case. Don't let me discourage you from going for it. You should buy whatever you want. It certainly won't perform WORSE than Z97. But it won't perform any better either. At least not now. It is possible that games will come down the pipeline that will be highly CPU intensive and capable of addressing 12 threads intensively and at that point the 5820K will be an indespensable gaming weapon. But until that day, a 4790K, or even a 4c8t Xeon can be had for significantly less CPU, platform, and RAM cost.

Again, don't let me discourage you.

HTH.

Thanks for the information and opinions guys really appreciate them! I went out yesterday and purchased the parts i will post photos after its finished. Its like a kid in the candy store haha This is what i went with:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/zvHF3C

Again thanks for your help! always learn something i didn't know about from here.

Could have gone with the 5820K and gotten the exact same performance for a couple hundred dollars less. I hope that MSi board doesn't give you any trouble. They're not using the best components... I would have gone with Gigabyte, ASUS, or ASRock personally.

Back