• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper evo 212 [Help needed]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leofanx

Hi guys :)

I recently purchased a new cpu, and to go with the new cpu I also bought an after-market cooler.

I made sure before buying that the cooler would fit on my board, I called a few different reputable pc shops and talked to some techs about it, and I also referred to this website: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu-cooler/?compatible_with=biostar-motherboard-ta790gxb3

My problem is that I can't align the block of the heatsink to my cpu properly:

http://files.laggaming.com/members/Se7eN/cpu.bmp

I've tried to put the screws in every possible combination of locations (2 possible locations per screw, 4x screws), and for them to align with the motherboard, this is the only way I've managed to get the cooler on. The heatsink doesn't seem to come flush with the chip if I rotate it either.

The temps have gone down drastically, I haven't hit above 36C while gaming, when normally I would hit 58C, but I'm still worried that that part of the chip may not be getting proper cooling, and that it could eventually damage the chip.

My intuition tells me it's something silly that I'm not seeing at the moment, and I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks!

MotherBoard: Gigabyte TA790GXB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3400MHz
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Max temp for this chip according to AMD: 62C
http://products.amd.com/en-gb/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=617

Last edited:
One problem is the X bracket needs to be below the springs, it is riding up on them and that's why it's not tightening on the cpu block. I'll pull my CM 212 out tomorrow and have a look at it tomorrow.

Will this in turn fix the alignment issue?

Thanks for your reply :)

Last edited:
Not sure but the X bracket definitely should be below the springs. I will look tomorrow at mine and report back if I see anything else that you may have setup wrong.

leofanx, my apologies I haven't used my CM 212 in a while, the cooler X brace is where it should be in your pictures. I didn't realize there were springs above it and below the X brace.

There is one issue I see that will help the heatsink cover the whole Cpu. If you look at where you have the screws, referring to the picture you posted. There are three holes the mounting screws can be placed in on the X brace. In your picture you have the left screws in the furthest in slot and the right screws in the furthest out slot. If you move them all into the middle screw hole by lifting the screws up and placing them into the center hole this should solve the issue.

Thanks for the reply Mandrake! I will take apart the PC tomorrow and fix these things. I will report hopefully with success.

Cheers again for the help guys :)

Back