• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you OverClock the i7 5960X to 4.0 Ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DBZMikey

My name is Mikey and I'm a noob at building PC's and I was wondering how do you OverClock the i7 5960X to 4.0 ghz. The motherboards I'm looking at is the MSI Gaming 7 X99 and the EVGA Classified X99. Please help and pictures would be useful. Thanks if you help.

Raise CPU ratio to x40 and that's all. For this clock, voltage adjustments shouldn't be required but in worst case can set CPU voltage to 1.15V or something near. The same on every motherboard.

don't just go and do something like that. i mean if your using a stock cooler i would not even atempt 4ghz. you have to watch heat. 130 watt cpu can quickly hit 80C on air cooling when fully loaded. that being said WHAT ARE YOU COOLING THIS WITH?

There is no stock cooler for 5960X. These CPUs come without cooler at all.

hats a good thig then lol. wha is OP using for cooling then?

i knew some of them did no come with one just could not remember which ones i stoped buying bleeding edge afer 1366 when all i do on tha pc is game. so i have not been following too closely

Last edited by a moderator:
Every 2011 CPUs ( for X79 and X99 chipsets ) have no coolers the same as Xeons and Extreme series CPUs from probably every generation. There are some exceptions but for mass market there are no coolers.

This is maybe weird but Haswell-E is not heating up so much considering there are more cores and large cache. On my 5820K temps are about the same if not lower than on 4770/4790K and if you set lower voltage then it's not a problem to keep it at reasonable temps. Problems are starting above ~1.25-1.30V. I think that every above average cooler will be good for 4GHz as it needs about stock voltage or not much higher than stock.

every extreme cpu upto socket 2011 had a stock HSF at least with intel. my i7 965 EE came with that god awful thing so did my qx6700 lmao

That cooler will be fine. I would suggest the Swiftech or the NZXT Kraken personally... one other I can't think of.......

Did you buy that processor yet? Unless you work with heavily threaded applications and its your job, its really not worth it over the $550 5930K.. can save you a wad of cash that way...

every extreme cpu upto socket 2011 had a stock HSF at least with intel. my i7 965 EE came with that god awful thing so did my qx6700 lmao

Intel realizes that the only people buying X99 and building it themselves are enthusiasts. Enthusiasts use stock coolers maybe 1 out of 100 times. So, Intel doesn't include a cooler.
How many 1366 systems did you see actually using the stock cooler? 1? 2? On the whole internet? :p

That was likely what lead intel to do this. AMD does the same thing with their "high end" cpus (which are really just 8350s which they turn into whole-home-heating furnaces with a TDP of 1.21 gigawatts so they can get them to 5Ghz). They do not include a HSF.

Intel realizes that the only people buying X99 and building it themselves are enthusiasts. Enthusiasts use stock coolers maybe 1 out of 100 times. So, Intel doesn't include a cooler.
How many 1366 systems did you see actually using the stock cooler? 1? 2? On the whole internet? :p

That was likely what lead intel to do this. AMD does the same thing with their "high end" cpus (which are really just 8350s which they turn into whole-home-heating furnaces with a TDP of 1.21 gigawatts so they can get them to 5Ghz). They do not include a HSF.

none use them but all retail I7 Extreme chips on s1366 came with one thats what i was trying to say as well as all retail Extreme edition cpu's before S1366. and they all sucked

i got a 1366 in my living room (my old 965 EE) under its stock heat sink because it runs stock (emulators and such)

but i know what your saying im just saying that it was not until the last couple of generations that ultra high end cpu's did not come with stockers

none use them but all retail I7 Extreme chips on s1366 came with one thats what i was trying to say as well as all retail Extreme edition cpu's before S1366. and they all sucked

i got a 1366 in my living room (my old 965 EE) under its stock heat sink because it runs stock (emulators and such)

but i know what your saying im just saying that it was not until the last couple of generations that ultra high end cpu's did not come with stockers

While some Extreme Edition CPUs have been "questionable purchases", such as the 965, which was basically just a cherry picked, overclocked 920 sold for an exorbitant sum of money, none of them have "sucked" outright. At least the current gen extreme edition has more cores and more cache than any other desktop chip from Intel, making it a reasonable purchase, even if it's selling at an un-reasonable price.

Oh I'm not saying the cpus sucked, they were good, the crappy coolers they came with sucked, sorry my fault should have wrote that differently. Yes the current one do make dishing out so much money more bearable the problem is that a couple of years from now you will have a $300 chip that out classes the one that is today's ultra high end cpu. Maybe not so much this time as it is more than just an oced high binned cpu.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not saying the cpus sucked, they were good, the crappy coolers they came with sucked, sorry my fault should have wrote that differently. Yes the current one do make dishing out do much money more bearable the problem is that a couple of years from now you will have a $300 chip that out classes the one that is today's ultra high end cpu. Maybe not so much this time as it is more than just an oced high binned cpu

Of course. You'll be able to beat the $1000 8 core with a $340 8 core in a couple of years. But that's the way the computer industry works. They obsolete things and bring in newer, faster, more efficient things. There was a time when an entry level laptop with a color screen was $6000-8000, circa about 1990. That seems like a lot until you realize that in today's money, that's about 12-16K. For a laptop. And boy are those old laptops obsolete.
There will come a time when you'll have the power of the 5960X, and then some, in a Raspberry Pi type $40 device. You just can't think of it that way. What's awesome now is awesome now. You have to accept the fact that in 4 years you will laugh at it and say "I payed a grand for that piece of crap? My phone has more power than that."

thats exactly what i mean i don't wanna be kicking my self in the butt saying d@mn i payed a grand for that lol. im gonna be ok saying phew i only payed $300 bucks for my 4790K. don't get me wrong S2011 cpu are monsters and if i could i would but my money needs to go else were now i have a house and sooner or later will start a family, if i even win the lottery i will build a new pc every time something new comes out and give the old parts away for free lol

I was always sticking to best performance/price but lately it's or something overpriced or highly overpriced while for 24/7 usage even 3-4 year old PC is more than enough ( if it has SSD ;) ).
I bet you remember when good graphics cards cost ~$300, highest series were for about ~$500 and there was nothing above that. Then good cards were enough to play everything for 2-3 years without problems. Now you get something like GTX960 for not much below these $300 while it's exactly 1/2 GTX980 ( which soon won't be even highest Nvidia series ) and is already too slow for higher resolution gaming. In this case you won't say in a year+ "why have I spent so much money" and keep using this hardware but "why have I spent so much money and it's already useless".
CPUs are not getting old so fast. As you see i5/i7 from 2nd gen Core is still good for everything while it has 4 years.

If you find parts in reasonable prices then 5820K + even cheapest board ( which is still high end ) + cheapest DDR4, is not much more expensive than 1150 i7 on better Z97 board and good DDR3 memory ( count 16GB 2133+ ). There are no low end X99 boards. Only high end or high end with OC features or more PCIe lanes.
At least 5820K seems really good option while everything higher is more like waste of money. Even for work difference between 6 and 8 cores is not so big so if you are not earning money on that CPU then it's bad idea to buy it.

Highest CPU/GPU series were always dedicated to enthusiasts and for marketing purposes ( overclocking, benchmark results, "we are better than other company" etc ). 1 step lower for gamers and the cheapest for mass sales which is actually maybe 80-90% sales in total.
Still the biggest GPU and CPU manufacturer is Intel just because their CPUs are in most office and home computers and their graphics are inside these CPUs. I don't know what about now but 2 years ago Intel had over 60% graphics market.

I'm not talking about benchmarking etc as all who are doing it for sport are spending too much money anyway.

Back