• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If Johan and Manny think its RAM related problems then would it not be a good idea to go into the RAM SECTION and enter all the timings by hand instead of AUTO FILL?

Just copy the numbers from the SPD SECTION into the Ram Section of the Bios before you try anymore testing?

Just trying to help out here!

Ajay.

P.S. When benching i always input my Ram into the Bios Section by Hand Roger never leave it to chance it could cause problems, but i would wait for Johan and MANNY first, just my 10c worth of help!

Last edited:
Ajay I noticed that as well. His XMP profile 1 and 2 are identical with exception to the CR. Therefore I would think it wouldn't matter which it is set to, but I've found 2T is generally more stable than 1T. And 1T is generally faster, though this is only "visable" in benchmarks. I've never seen an in game FPS difference.

Also my old ASUS board had the CR grayed out in the BIOS from time to time. Never did figure out why. Poor thing didn't live very long once i started beating on it Lol.

Yeah but if the command rate is not set into the bios then it could cause problems to my thinking here, because i have no AMD overclocking only INTEL that's why i point these things out. For Manny or Johan to jump in and say yeah that could be it!!

Ajay.

Blaylock ask your self this if the command rate is missing how would the RAM know which to run or operate at???

Last edited:
It's set in the bios. It is impossible for it NOT to be. CPUz just isn't reading it.
This and I've seen it before my Cpu-Z does it also.

That all said I can't seem to find the thread we had where the Op was trying to raise the Nb Freq on a UD3 mobo. If I recall correctly it was causing instability when raised.

It's also Kingston ram which has caused issues in the past. It would be nice to figure out what the issue is. But adding 1.3v+ to the NB isn't going to be any benefit. I would check the tRFC of the ram setting for AMD it should be 240 to 300 for easy operation.

Don't know why I thought I saw kingston? My Bad.

like I said b4 its stable , I just cant type nothing , I can do everything else on the PC but type , so what do I do for the next steep

You can try giving the NB Core more volts to see if it stops. Go up slowly and try it out. This really is an odd duck. We may end up back a 2000 and leaving it there.

Just for grins, set the ram back to 1600 and tell me if you still have the same problem.

Something to think about if this still persists ......

Try a different divider, by that I mean drop your ram speed, CPU/NB and HT down 1 step ....... use the FSB to raise the ram speed and other busses if the problem still persists ....... maybe a different BIOS ??????? Don't know ...... that's something to think about.

GA-990FXA-UD3 in fact has had some...

...some issues with CPU_NB speed but it is often related to the ram not wanting to actually run well at DDR3-1866. Mr. Scott suggests trying ram at DDR3-1600 and that might well help the ability to up the CPU_NB, which upping by the way does not do a lot unless the cpu is really clocked up as if one were benching up at 5.0Ghz and beyond. Said another way; high CPU_NB is not really a help unless you are running very fast cpu speeds of say 5.0Ghz or higher or have two linked video cards. Then there is some help, but even then you may not notice such in daily operation. BUT you surely will notice not being able to type with elevated CPU_NB giving issues.

A couple of hopefully "self-explanatory images about some things that will and do relate to that UD3 thing.

RGone...

990FXA-UD3 Rev4.0.jpeg

990FXA-UD3 Rev4.0_ram.jpeg

That all said I can't seem to find the thread we had where the Op was trying to raise the Nb Freq on a UD3 mobo. If I recall correctly it was causing instability when raised.

That must have been me. 1.3v simply wasn't enough for the cpu-nb to run stable at 2200. I recently had the HT link raised to 2800 on stock volts and the RAM set to 1866 on 1.55v and everything run smooth. Just the cpu-nb seems to be mean. Gotta get back to it and maybe set it to 1.4v amd check if it's stable but I'm worried about the mobo.

I do have my Ram in Slots 1&2 ,I did try to lower the ram to 1600 still no luck

but this is what I did, I put everything back to stock and raised the NB to 2200
and worked like a charm, then after I made sure of that I overclocked it again
and started to down clock it ,and it went all the way down to 4.2 when it worked
so im guessing the overclock was to high , so does this give any info on what I need
to do to get it back to 4.6 -4.5 even , I did try adding more volts but that didn't help

so now im in your hands

Thanks Roger

For Clarity...

I am going to assume this is what you meant to write to us.

1. Set default speeds. Then set CPU_NB to 2200Mhz and all worked including being able to type on the keyboard.

2. Set overclock to 4.6Ghz and could not type on keyboard with the CPU_NB at 2200Mhz.

3. I then tested downclocking the cpu by 100Mhz steps until I got down to 4.2Ghz at which time, I could type again and still have the CPU_NB at 2200Mhz.

4. So with CPU_NB at 2200Mhz I cannot overclock the system beyond 4.2Ghz.

5. Any ideas as to what I might try to have 2200Mhz CPU_NB and overclock up past 4.2Ghz?

RGone...

When you say 1 and 2 you mean like it shows red in the Pic that RGone posted ? The reason I ask is because the report from CPU-z says slot 1 and for my ASUS boards that would be the wrong one. It could just be the way the Gigs board reports to CPU-z as I see in their manul pic they call them 1 and where on an ASUS board that would be slot 2 and 4.
If that's fine try this set up at 4.3 but slowly add some more NB core voltage and see if it stabilizes. If yes then work up from there if no then I would revert back to 4.6 and 2000 since there's always more performance from core clock than NB clock.

Core speed is king. Forget that NB frequency if it won't go. Core speed back up, ram speed back up. :thup:

I am going to assume this is what you meant to write to us.

1. Set default speeds. Then set CPU_NB to 2200Mhz and all worked including being able to type on the keyboard.

2. Set overclock to 4.6Ghz and could not type on keyboard with the CPU_NB at 2200Mhz.

3. I then tested downclocking the cpu by 100Mhz steps until I got down to 4.2Ghz at which time, I could type again and still have the CPU_NB at 2200Mhz.

4. So with CPU_NB at 2200Mhz I cannot overclock the system beyond 4.2Ghz.

5. Any ideas as to what I might try to have 2200Mhz CPU_NB and overclock up past 4.2Ghz?

RGone...

yes that what I mean see it hard for me to word things right , its a littler hard for me

this is exactly what I mean ty

I have to ask Roger is this the same OS you were trying benchmarks on? Did you have many crashes / lockups in Windows? If so it is possible that part of Windows became corrupt. This has baffled me for a day or so now. But I think that might explain being able to pass P95 but not typing in webpages.

Back