• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 crashed, can't fix/re-install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M34

Registered
Hey guys, win7 crashed for me, whatever... Have everything backed up anyways. But here's where the problem is. It's stuck on an error screen where it wants to fix windows and wants me to reinsert the cd. Not happening anytime soon... It won't read the cd, it won't read memory sticks at boot up either. I loaded my other OS on a separate HD and it works perfectly on the same computer, used same ports and same Cd drive, not a problem. But for whatever stupid reason it won't let me boot at startup on the primary HD, and all it does is try to fix it, I have a copy of 8.1 64bit which I've been trying to install. It installed perfectly on my gf's laptop which I've been using for the time being, but it won't read on the comp.

Any suggestions on how I get it to wipe the disk?

Also the HD won't show up in the computer panel on my other OS like it's not even there, but it does attemp to load windows when I'm using the HD. Not entirely sure why, otherwise I would have formatted it.

Thanks!

Can you POST and check your boot configuration?

I can't set it to boot from the cd drive or usb as primary
My primary is the 1tb with win7, secondary is 500gb Seagate, third is optical drive which refuses it to make it primary. It's ASRock bios.

I sounds like you've got some bad HDD sectors, perhaps a failure in the making (made?). Is it possible to use the Seagate as your OS drive, removing the WD to determine if the WD is bad?

Plugged in the Seagate in the same port it's fine. I'm starting to think its the HD. Sorry for the late responses, I work really long hours and go to college. I'm gonna reply the WD into a different port maybe? The HD still shows up on the boot screen and its readable.

you might burn ubuntu to a live cd and then reformat the hdd from ubuntu, I do that quite often,

Back