• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mac memory upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So please dont shun me - the Mac is not mine but my GFs. I really know next to nothing about Macs but am using it really heavily for the first time to create a short movie for work. It's killing me how slow it is. It currently has 4gb of DDR3 1333 and I want to add more. Is there anything special about mac memory or can I just by some off the egg and call it a day? Im pretty sure the laptop is no longer under warranty so popping it open should not void anything. It's a 2.3 Ghz core i5 13in.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

So please dont shun me - the Mac is not mine but my GFs. I really know next to nothing about Macs but am using it really heavily for the first time to create a short movie for work. It's killing me how slow it is. It currently has 4gb of DDR3 1333 and I want to add more. Is there anything special about mac memory or can I just by some off the egg and call it a day? Im pretty sure the laptop is no longer under warranty so popping it open should not void anything. It's a 2.3 Ghz core i5 13in.
Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Why would you think that you'd be "shunned"? This is Overclockers.com, where members are of greater intelligence and maturity, and have left the brain damaging aspects of middle school behind. Anyway, yes- no need to buy 'special' memory for an Intel mac. I have bought Gskill modules of the same spec but of larger capacity with no problem.

Go to "about this mac" and find the model number, then go to http://www.everymac.com/ and find the maximum amount of RAM that your Mac will take. Then, go the Newegg(or, ?) and find comparable modules. I have used Adata as well as Gskill, I'm sure other brands are equally compatible, provided that the specs match.

I've had good luck with Crucial memory for this sort of thing. I upgraded my wife's MBP without any issues. All that "Mac Compatible" stuff for memory is a scam. :)

Why would you think that you'd be "shunned"? This is Overclockers.com, where members are of greater intelligence and maturity, and have left the brain damaging aspects of middle school behind. Anyway, yes- no need to buy 'special' memory for an Intel mac. I have bought Gskill modules of the same spec but of larger capacity with no problem.

Go to "about this mac" and find the model number, then go to http://www.everymac.com/ and find the maximum amount of RAM that your Mac will take. Then, go the Newegg(or, ?) and find comparable modules. I have used Adata as well as Gskill, I'm sure other brands are equally compatible, provided that the specs match.

It was more of a joke but appreciate the info. I reading some reviews I found some gskill which is the same specs as memory that falls under "mac memory" the bulk of people stay they didnt have any issues but there are a few people who do report problems. Gskill actually responded to one review and said you need to get the specfic memory chip for Mac.

@johan851 I found some Crucial memory that I think i will be going with.

Ihrsetrdr thanks for that link - it's helpful.

Back