• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb @ Watercooling Loop Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dar1us

Registered
Hi all im new here at OCF so bear with me.

Got a few questions regarding a custom watercooling loop im installing in the coming days (upgrading from a corsair h100), here are the parts im buying (exc the clamps, barbs and lights).
- Alphacool Lighttower AIO Resevoir Black
- Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 360mm
- XSPC RayStorm CPU Waterblock for Intel
- Phobya DC12-400 12V Pump
- Mayhems Biocide 10ml
- XSPC FLX Tubing Green UV 1/2ID 3/4OD 2m

1. Im looking to use distilled or dimineralised water with biocide as ive read this is the best for thermal performance as well as it not clogging up pumps etc, is this ok?
2. Ill be running a 360mm rad on the top of my Corsair Obsidian 750D, so im curious would i be better off with 6 fans in push pull on a 45mm rad or go with 3 fans in push on a thicker rad?
3. also the pump is rated for 800 l/ph so will that be good for what im running while also allowing me add a gpu waterblock at a later date.
4. What order should i run everything, the pump attached directly to the res via an included adapter so there are still a few ways to which i can go

Thanks in advance guys

as far as the pump res combo i wouldn't use it. I don't like the reservoir being on the outgoing side of the setup. I prefer the res to be right before the pump as it just seems like it is easier to keep air out of the system.
push pull is unnesessary for this setup with the 360 rad. just get thicker with three high cfm above 110 and put them on a controller. you should have nice cool temps. I only use distilled water with a petstore fish tank anti algae agent. Cheap and only need a few drops and lasts longer than i can keep a system config the same.

as far as the pump res combo i wouldn't use it. I don't like the reservoir being on the outgoing side of the setup. I prefer the res to be right before the pump as it just seems like it is easier to keep air out of the system.
push pull is unnesessary for this setup with the 360 rad. just get thicker with three high cfm above 110 and put them on a controller. you should have nice cool temps. I only use distilled water with a petstore fish tank anti algae agent. Cheap and only need a few drops and lasts longer than i can keep a system config the same.

OK duely noted, i have ordered extra barbs and clamps for this very reason :) i have coolermaster sickleflow fans here already i know that isnt quite 110cfm

- - - Updated - - -

I know that most here recommend Primochill tubing, not sure how that XSPC stacks up against it.

ok awesome ill change the tubing over, i wasnt sure so thanks :)

Or you could go with a silent water cooling system as screaming water cooling systems are the past. Pointless to spend so much money when you can get a screaming air cooler. Up to you though on which way you want to go along with this but would hate to hear you spend xxx amount of dollars only to have a screaming machine.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

Or you could go with a silent water cooling system as screaming water cooling systems are the past. Pointless to spend so much money when you can get a screaming air cooler. Up to you though on which way you want to go along with this but would hate to hear you spend xxx amount of dollars only to have a screaming machine.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

haha it doesnt scream ive got the same fans (cm sickleflow) on my h100 at the moment and the noise is alright :p

Back