• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Things that make you go Hmm....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Witchdoctor

Most of you know I'm having been having hardware trouble with my z87m and 4770k

I was not able to boot with memory set at anything above 1600

Tested it over a two week period and finally gave up thinking the board or the chip must have given up the ghost.

Not to far of as stretch being I have been pounding on it for around 15 months

So went out and bought a z97 board in an effort to find out if the IMC on my chip was shot or was this simply a board failure ?

So I mounted the new board and was ready to put the CPU in and begin my testing, but decided for s1ts and giggles to give it on last try prior to removing all the eraser and the chip

Freaking thing booted right up @ 2600 no problem ??? So I decided to really pound on the IMC to make sure this was no fluke

So was pushing my 2600 kit around with speed, timings and voltage ??? did as well as it ever did.

Then I remembered I bought a 2800 Mhz kit off a member here that just got buried under a bunch of crap , really need to clean up my bench area

So once I located them through them in thinking they would push the IMC even harder

Was not able complete testing them as I am cooling with ice cubes and things were getting warm, but they seem pretty decent

So now I am thinking all is well, obviously I will need to do some cold testing to be 100% sure, but looks like my z87 platform and my 4770K lives ???

So I may have bought the z97 board for nothing ???

Don't really have any explanation for this other than possible moister, but I dried it out with heat and would bet anything it was bone dry when testing this a few weeks ago ?

Here is a SS of one of the tests I ran this morning

imc.png

That's probably what it was witchy. That's why I strip my boards after every run. Moisture can hide under the eraser for a long time.
Good news that nothing is toasted though. Your fav chip still lives. :thup:

Good news for you Witchdoctor! Yay! Let us know how it goes cold but it's looking darn good (and 2933 ain't shabby at all!)

Must have been , cold will be the real test

May grab a few cheap chips to throw in the z97 if my good chip is working in the z87m

Been completely sidetracked with ss/cascade issues, work, wife/family stuff, 780's...haven't even tested it yet :/

Sounds like strange behavior. Reminds me of the strange issues that a few of us ran into with maximumus v gene and ivy bridge, I think. It may have been caused by excessive Vaseline as insulation, but did cause strange problems that came and went.

As an extreme cold Noob I'll risk the redicule and ask. Is there such a thing as a cold bug for boards, ram or maybe NB? Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded like it was only doing it cold, is that right?

Not sure, my board has an ln2 mode, Think this helps

but frost/moisture has an adverse effect , but it would not let me run the memory any higher than 1600 even at stock clocks

Thought I had it dried out well, but maybe not, I will find out soon

hoping to get a 35 doer so i can compete in the AM contest

I bet moisture was the culprit, I've had boards that refused to work without pulling the eraser off and giving them a good drying even from just running the SS for extended periods.

Do you have a dewar Witchy or are you looking for one?

Well the verdict is in

z87 or the chip is wasted, putting the chip in the z97 to test this weekend

Worked fine on ambient, could push the memory easily, once I threw on one of my profiles , nada, 55 error again, tried all my profiles with the same result :(

Hoping it is the board, but doubt it, think the chip may be wasted. Will have to play the lottery if this is the case

yea, I have a 35 , but typically get a 240 delivered and use the 35 to bench out of

35 = $ 90.78 to fill

240 delivered = $ 114.00

Selling one ?

No AM contest for me from the looks of it :(

I wonder if the IMC got cooked on the CPU... 55 is memory IIRC...

You may want to talk with your provider (Airgas?) on that difference. I have $1.25L at 30L and do not do 240L fills. Let them know you do 240L fills but occasionally 35L. ~$3 /L is insane!

Well that sucks! So your chip gives the 55 code on both boards?

I was going to say DOM offered to sell me a nice 50L dewar awhile back and he might still have it.

ED is right on the ln2 they should give you a better deal, I've paid as much as $2 liter from Airgas but now they just charge me $1 liter for my 35L tank.

yea I am to old for a 50, that is why I got the 35 , actually bought it off DOM

Do you live close to him ?

Yea my ln2 guy is a prick unless I buy it in 240 liter increments

I know him from TPU even though we do live in the same state we're 350 miles apart.

I've had some places quote me as much as $3.75 a liter.

Through the chip in the z97 this morning, have to load OS's and flash the BIOS to Nick's L1 version

Then I can see where I am at. My understanding all retail now is garbage ???

Thought you were in Texas, DOM used to live in Texas, he was on my old team , but kind of disappeared the last year or so ?

Just want to get set up so I can bench again

FAIL .....

It's the chip :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Back