• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 960 vs GTX 760

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metlcub

Hey guys
I was wondering, do you think it's worth while upgrading from a EVGA gtx 760 SC acx 2gb, to the new GTX 960. I do game but not as major as I used to. I still play some BF3, BF4, LOL. I just can not really find many bench mark comparisons between the 760 and the 960.
Thanks

It's for my set up in my signature

agree that its more than a side grade. the 970 is a rather stout card and not that much more moolah

I agree with atm on this being an upgrade, dx12 for example.
I also agree to save the cash and go for a bigger step, the 760sc cards are quite powerful and will do you well for right now.
If you want a cheap, short lived upgrade to tie you over, do as i am doing, buy used 7970's or 280x's, I even bought one from atminside.
I think i would wait on the 970's, great cards at great prices, saw one this weekend for $339 at microcenter, but i would let those cards work through what ever this memory issue is and see how it's resolved.

what memory issue? mine doesnt seem to have any issues that I am aware of

from what i have read a bit of it appears that if your game uses over 3.5 gigs of vram, not many do I would guess, the card face plants.

Update with Nvidia response and fact that some users can't reproduce this issue is quite important:

"The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rdparty applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

We understand there have been some questions about how the GTX 970 will perform when it accesses the 0.5GB memory segment. The best way to test that is to look at game performance. Compare a GTX 980 to a 970 on a game that uses less than 3.5GB. Then turn up the settings so the game needs more than 3.5GB and compare 980 and 970 performance again."

worse is this part:
"So removing SMMs to make the GTX 970 a lower spec product over the GTX 980 is the main issue here, 500MB is 1/8t of the 4GB total memory capacity yeah, two SMMs is 1/8th of the total SMM count. So the answer really is, the primary usable memory for the GTX 970 is a 3.5 GB partition.

Nvidias results seem to suggest this is a non issue, however actual users results contradict them. I'm not quite certain how well this info will sit with GTX 970 owners, as this isn't a bug that can be fixed, it's in design to function that way due to the cut down SMMs."

Performance of GTX970 is still great and I think if Nvidia said before it's working like that then wouldn't be any issue. Now all will start to complain they're cheated etc. even though their performance won't be better or worse. Actually if not someone who saw that performance drop in some single games then noone would know about it and all would be still happy about their new cards. Now even then it's still the same and good performing hardware, users will feel that something isn't right ( of course those who read news in the web ).
On the other hand who really needs more than 3.5GB memory on GTX970 ? All will see problem when maybe 1% users will actually see any difference in their one game. I guess people just need drama or it's boring.

Sorry for off topic. I know it's more like a GTX960 thread :)
Back to GTX960. For this price it's not worth to change from GTX760. Better is to pay some more for GTX970 which is much faster or just wait for something new from AMD which should appear in 1-2 months.

Last edited:
I bought a brand new 6800GT when they first came out. That card was $450 at Bestbuy. Only to find out that when trying to run high def videos that the cpu would run at 100%, they then came out with the 6600GT that would only use about 30%cpu when doing high def. They finally admitted that the chip was broken and went for a fix. The fix was a software that they wanted another $40 for to fix what was not working in the highest end chip they made at the time.

Nvidia as a company is as close to worthless as they come when it comes to taking care of their customers. I suspect they will sweep it under the carpet and be done with it

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll wait for the next series of cards to come out, and get like one then. Or if I can pick up a used 760 4gb version and SLI it with my 2gb version, I'll just make sure the 4gb is the main card.

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll wait for the next series of cards to come out, and get like one then

You know... I said the same thing.... But shortly after thinking that to myself, EarthDog tempted me by putting one of his review cards up for sale and the temptation was too great with that "upgraditis". Soon enough I succumb to the upgraditis and had to have it :p

I'll just make sure the 4gb is the main card.
I'm not sure it works like that. The card's have to be effectively identical for SLI, and VRAM is mirrored anyways. If it worked at all you'd still be limited to 2GB.

I'd just upgrade instead of trying to SLI 760's since there's already games out using more VRAM than 2GB at 1080p like Far Cry 4, and that number is only going to grow with console ports. Unless you're using edge-case resolutions where you'd need dual cards to run it anyways a 970 would be fine.

Actually if not someone who saw that performance drop in some single games then noone would know about it and all would be still happy about their new cards. Now even then it's still the same and good performing hardware, users will feel that something isn't right ( of course those who read news in the web ).
On the other hand who really needs more than 3.5GB memory on GTX970 ? All will see problem when maybe 1% users will actually see any difference in their one game. I guess people just need drama or it's boring.
No, people need truth and transparency, thats the drama here. And actually some users was able to experience performance drops because it is not a real 4 GB card, a card not able to fully utilize 4GB without ressource issues.

People will never get full truth. Every company is hidding something. There are too big loses in truth on this market. No one said that GTX970 is graphics card for 4K displays just because performance is too low. Mad can be only those who bought 2-3 cards thinking they will have optimal performance on huge resolution. Many of those who were thinking about it bought GTX980 or are still using GTX780/Ti/R9 290X.

I thought when you SLI only the memory of the main/first card is used, I thought if you used a 4gb card as the main and a 2gb card as the secondary, you still would use the 4gb of the first card. I could be wrong and miss understood..

I thought when you SLI only the memory of the main/first card is used, I thought if you used a 4gb card as the main and a 2gb card as the secondary, you still would use the 4gb of the first card. I could be wrong and miss understood..

That is incorrect. Both sets of vRAM are used to double the memory throughput.
That's why, in SLI, it'll default to the lower vRAM amount.

Back