• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temperature monitoring on PowerConnect switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgamer4life

I just set up a PowerConnect 5324 on my home network, my first hands on experience with a managed switch.
I've got it configured at a bare minimum, but I want to start logging some statistics on it, specifically running temps, CPU usage, and fan speed. Ideally, I'd like to see what temperatures it runs at with the fans at full speed and at reduced speed, so I can gauge whether or not I can undervolt or slow them down to reduce noise and not get outside of normal operating temperatures.

I downloaded an SNMP receiver, PRTG on my Windows machine, and I enabled the snmp server on the switch, but I'm not sure how to add specific monitor points. The software automatically detected to monitor uptime and throughput, but I'd like to add others. Anyone have experience with this?

if its anything like my 5224 (which i think it is) the ffans only have two pins so no speed readings, i did put some slower 4500 rpm fans in mine to quiet it down a bit which helped, and as for temp readings im not sure... you can browse around the webUI and see if its in there somewhere never looked for it on mine.

I couldn't find anything in the webui, but finally stumbled across some MIBs that Dell supplied for SNMP monitoring. Unfortunately in the 5xxx series it doesn't appear to have temperature, CPU utilization, fan speed, etc, basically all the things you'd actually want to monitor.

Back