• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus a8n32-sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bertmann73

Hello all. I am new here. My overclocking skills are around, lets say, a big, fat goose egg. Anyway, I picked up this old asus a8n32-sli mobo on ebay on a hail mary untested for cheap and by golly...it posted!!. a while back my freind donated to me some corsiar extreme ddr 400 ram with led tracers that he was running in his old alienware. i decided to do some research on amd mobos since they were the only ones to offer dual core with ddr1. i first found an old sun ultra20 939 board with an opteron 180 for cheeeeep..15 bucks!. this is the fastest 939 cpu under the illusive fx60 with a server approved tyan mobo to boot. that board is great and i have used it for all my dirty work as not to ruin my msi 970a-g46 setup. The old 939 asus board is my new project now and i am turning to the pros for advice on beginner overclocking for this setup: asus a8n32 sli; amd opteron 180 2.4 dual core; corsiar cmx1024pro xtreme speed 3200 4gigs; 2x seagate 200gig 7200rpm raid; amd heatpipe stock cooling; ati radeon hd4550 gpu. This is a start. I am not looking to bench as i dont want to destroy a hard to find gem like this. I just want to know some safe settings for beginners so i can get a few more ponies out of it. if anyone here would be so kind as to throw me a bone or two on this mobo i would much appreciate it.
Thanks all.

I also have that motherboard just a note of caution, even though it works check the Caps on it just to make sure none are bulging as they have a tendency to do so over time. If they are your Ocing may be limited until they are replaced. You will also be limited be the stock heatsink, you may want to go get a after market heatsink if you really want to Oc. That all said read these two guides 1 and 2 they will give give you an idea of what you need to know.

thanks..I do have a large fan with a shroud modded atop the heat sink and have also modified an old antec case with a large chiminey fan on top along with 2 tandum cpu fans inside the expansion bay....noisy as hell but plenty of air.i have a weakness of hitting the thrift stores for old computers and parts and have quite the garage boneyard. i did see one cap by the sb chip that has a little bulge but i am going only to replace it if i get any glitching.

Back