• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enabling Crossfire Only Swaps Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MicroCuts327

Howdy, as the title says, when I enable crossfire, it only swaps the card being used. It is my understanding that some cards have a power save feature that only turns them on when there is demand for it, but after loading intensive games like Star Citizen, there is nothing coming from the other card. I have two R9 270's, one a regular and one an 270x, which is the primary card. I am not overclocked on either card. Is this a known issue? I have not been able to dig up any resources on this from google, so I'm turning to you guys here.

I am new to this forum and pretty new to PC's in general, so please bear with me. If there is any other info you guys need i'll be happy to supply it.

Thanks!
-Micro

so, you go into ccc, click the performance tab and select enable crossfire correct?
then reboot?

how do you know cross fire is not enabled?

oh, wait, i forgot about the crossfire ribbbon, you have it installed?

Yep ribbon is installed. I also have two GPUz programs running, each one focusing on one card so i can monitor the sensors. When i toggle Crossfire i can clearly see Card A turn off then Card B turn on, and vice versa. Kinda strange...

I can try rebooting but I might have tried that in the past, but let me test that now to be sure.

GPUz1.png

So attached is a screenshot of my two GPUz windows after running Star Citizen. Usually with CF off in the hanger i am at around 43 fps. Now with crossfire on after restarting i am at 20 fps and lower, usually around 15. However as you can see both cards are being used, with one card peaking at 99% load (left window) and the other card only at around 50% load. The break in the graph on the right is when I tabbed out to check the program.

EDIT: just noticed one card is only at 150MHz.... not sure why...

there's something funky about the dedicated memory, you're using all of it.
try turnung your in game quality settings and AA down a notch and lets see if the big guns will turn out soon.

Odd thing with Star Citizen is that there are no 'advanced options' for graphics, its just low, medium, high and very high. All screenshots were with medium settings. There is no AA yet for SC. There is motion blur, but thats it.

the only other thing that comes to my mind is trying driver 14.9.
remove 14.12 with display driver uninstaller from safe mode.

I'm with you quickfast, but look at the memory usage in post# 9, that's just looks so bizzar to me.
it's using 100%, 4 gigs of vram and showing it all on one card, then it is using 300 megs of system ram and I think that is what's killing his fps.

Hmm… I'll have to look more into that when I get back from my morning class, I'm pretty new to all this so I don't have much to go on.

I'll see if I can dig up some other articles on that. Thanks for the help so far!

I have an ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 mobo http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/990fx extreme9/ and an FX 8350 8 core cpu @ 4.0 GHz. Nothing on my rig is overclocked.

So a friend of mine says he will send me a second asus r9 270 to test crossfire with, because his friend was achieving 60+FPS on High in Star Citizen with two of them compared to my 35fps with CF going with my 2 cards.

Do both cards have the same vram? If the 270X has 4gb and the 270 has 2gb, then that's probably why you aren't seeing them work. I can't tell by the screen shots on this laptop..

R%20Series%20Crossfire%20Chart.JPG

Not a valid Crossfire configuration.

Back