• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS R7 240 4GB OC BEST SETTINGS???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IRON_MIKE

Registered
I WOULD LIKE SOME HELP ABOUT GETTING THE BEST OUT OF THIS CARD...PLS FORGIVE MY ENGLISH AND ME BEING A NOOB TO ALL THIS...SO I GIVE YOU MY GENERAL SET UP

PSU 750W
GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P MOTHERBOARD
AMD FX 3.8 GHZ BLACK EDITION AM3+
ASUS R7 240 4GB 0C
KINGSTON XFURY BLUE 8GB 1866 RAM (2 MODULES X4GB)
KINGSTON 128GB SSD V300 PRIMARY
HDD 500GB STORAGE

I KNOW THAT MY MOBO SUPPORTS PCI EXPRESS X16 - 2.0 AND THAT THIS CARD IS PCI EXPRESS X8 - 3.0. SO I QUESS IT WILL WORK BUT AS X8...THERE IS NO CHANCE GETTING A BETTER ONE ANY TIME SOON SO ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE....

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? :p

The best out of that card...its made to put a picture on a screen and not game.

As far as what clockspeeds it can reach, all cards are different so you have to try it and see for yourself. Do one thing at a time, overclock the core first until it freezes or artifacts, then back it down say 25Mhz. Then push the memory until things freeze or artifact or the score goes down in benchmarks (Ungine Heaven is what I would use to test - loop it for stability testing).

Also, the card is 16x, so it will run at 16x.

As EarthDog said, while that is a dedicated video card it is really not meant for gaming in any real sense. The power just isn't there with it. The minimum card I would consider for gaming is probably a 260x in all honesty. That card could work for playing videos and doing other basic tasks or playing very old (relatively) games.

thanks for the reply....sorry for caps..didn't know that meens shouting...hehehehe....the card according to the manual i see now is pci express x8 3.0 and not x16...i have it on my hands reading it...plus i installed cpu-z and shows the same thing...so i quess have to follow test by test or maybe i can send it back and take a nvidia Gforce gt730 2gb gddr5...that's my options as far as my money goes ....
As far as overclocking cpu i have stock coolers plus 2 extra fans...will it be safe?

thanks again

yes i noticed your point playing WOT wich is not much of a graphics killer and couldn't get it in high resolution without having less than 25fps

Last edited by a moderator:
Both cards that you listed will give you about the same performance. You can give it a shot for overclocking the card using the instructions that EarthDog lined out for you. I wouldn't expect any miracles but it may gain you a few FPS here and there.

I would just keep an eye on the temps that the card hits and turn down the overclock if you see any game crashing, driver crashes, or artifacting of the game graphics.

Ultimately the best solution would be to continue to save up additional money to afford a better graphics card.

Also, I forgot: :welcome: to the forums!

The GT 730 isn't a gaming card either.... save up more money to get something that will play games.

8x/16x it really won't matter for that card anyway as its not close to saturating the bandwidth in the first place.

Safe? Just keep temps under 85C or so and it will be fine. THere is always a risk when overclocking though.

thank you very much for your tips and i am glad to be here....i quess save money for a better card is the key....what would you guys have in mind according to my setup?

I assume you game at 1080p resolution...

Any other games outside of WOT?

That info would be helpful. :)

ok now with this setup i am thinking about playing again battlefield...and some version of call of duty

- - - Updated - - -

yes 1080p

- - - Updated - - -

bf4 and latest cod

ouchhh...we are talking about 250 euro's and more...well no money no honey....i will set this as a goal...it will pay me great pleasure though....thank you so much about you time earthdog..see you on another topic soon

Back