• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Question about recent memory allocation/something issue for GTX 970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

I have question about recent memory allocation/something issue for GTX 970.
So, it affects all of GTX 970, right?
In future, I was thinking buy it but now I read about those issues.
Will that issue matter when we actually play games?
Or should I not consider to buy it?

Last edited:
@ Bishoff: Thanks for reply.

@ Woomack: Thanks for reply. I thought latest games you more then 3GB or 3.5GB? Am I wrong about it? Also for example, if I do something like "NVIDIA Surround (Either 2D/3D mode), using 3 monitors for surround and 4th monitor as accessory?

Most games won't use more than 3GB even at high screen resolution and max graphics details but even if, then single GTX970 will be probably too weak to handle it. Check the link in Bishoff's post and memory allocation in the table. There is already high resolution and results below 3.5GB are 30 FPS in BF4 what means it's too low so higher res/details will be even worse.
Simply if you play in 3k on 2-3 monitors then better is GTX980. If you play in 1080p+ then GTX970 is probably best option on the market.

@Woomack: Oh ok.
Wait, what is the resolution of 3K?
Cause NVIDIA Surround, uses 3 monitor, so, for example, if I use 4 monitors total (3 for surround and 1 for accessory) that has 1920x1080, then with 3 monitors, it will be 5760x3240 plus, accessory monitor (1920x1080 at least).

And what about 4K? Do I need to use 980 for that?

woomack is spot on, if your system and games use less than 3.5 gigs of vram you will never see the issue.
the guys at very high res and multi monitor are the only ones who will see it, but even then only in one or two games, that is what i am seeing doing some reading around the net.
if you're at 1080p, it's all good.

@Woomack: Oh ok.
Wait, what is the resolution of 3K?
Cause NVIDIA Surround, uses 3 monitor, so, for example, if I use 4 monitors total (3 for surround and 1 for accessory) that has 1920x1080, then with 3 monitors, it will be 5760x3240 plus, accessory monitor (1920x1080 at least).

And what about 4K? Do I need to use 980 for that?

If you are doing a large surround setup like you mentioned a 980 would be a better option, and also including 4K

Back