• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a build estimate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Verstrata

Hey guys. I've starting saving up for a PC that can do:
Minecraft (mods, modpacks, shaders, full settings)
Video and music editing

I need an OS, and I'm not all that familiar with overclocking. I'm not building it right away, but I'd like to know how much I need to save... I'm looking for little more/little less than $600. thanks

If Minecraft is the main game you play you can go with Linux and save yourself $$. Minecraft supports Linux and so do more and more games. Not really all the AAA titles hardcore gamers are obcessed with, but theres plenty of Steam for Linux to keep you busy. Video and Audio editing is also not a problem provided are aren't stuck on specific applications (and then depending on what those are) Here's the minimum I would go with right now. The AMD APUs are great in that you'll have decent graphics for what you need them for and the proc is going to be on par with a similarly priced i3 (worse for gaming, better for video editing). Notice it's only like $420 since it's just a suggestion on where to start. If you really want to spend more then you could ditch the AMD and pick up an i5 and a 750 ti, or if you really want windows, you could go just the i5 (If you're really just doing minecraft) or pick up one of the AMD cards that work in hybrid crossfire x. Keep in mind if you do go Linux you may very well want to step it up since AMD drivers suck.

2015-01-27-011630_1189x681_scrot.png

--------Edit

http://www.linuxmint.com/ Great way to save $100 if you can. I'm not sure what kind of audio editing you're doing but I've done some myself on Linux using audacity and haven't had any problems. Video editing, someone else will have to help you there

Also, its because of you're mention of editing I put 8GB of RAM in there. If you don't use it all you can always turn it into a ramdisk for temp files like I did.

The Hybrid drive is because I don't know how much space you need and it's a decent middle ground. If you can get by on less I'd drop $120 again on a 250GB SSD in a second

Last edited:
If by "editing videos" you mean "using a generic movie making program to record minecraft gameplay" then anything will work.

Alright guys. I really appreciate the help! I'm not set on Windows. I would rather have plenty of space if need be though. Will the i3 run minecraft perfectly? Shaders and modpacks are the most intensive things on it.

The i3 will run Minecraft (and pretty much any modern game, even AAA titles when paired with the right GPU) just fine.

Only thing to keep in mind is it will be a bit slower in video editing then a similarly price AMD proc. At this price point you are looking at the A10 and FX-6300, both of which will beat out the i3 for that and are overclockcable where as the i3 isn't. But, we really don't know what kind of video editing you are doing and what the gaming/video editing balance is.

Going Linux on your first build is something I did three years ago, you'll pick it up in no time. You might even be like me and decide to never use Windows again.

The i3 will run Minecraft (and pretty much any modern game, even AAA titles when paired with the right GPU) just fine.

Only thing to keep in mind is it will be a bit slower in video editing then a similarly price AMD proc. At this price point you are looking at the A10 and FX-6300, both of which will beat out the i3 for that and are overclockcable where as the i3 isn't. But, we really don't know what kind of video editing you are doing and what the gaming/video editing balance is.

Going Linux on your first build is something I did three years ago, you'll pick it up in no time. You might even be like me and decide to never use Windows again.

Video editing does not mean using windows movie maker to compile different parts together and add voice over. Using Adobe after effects, premier, or davinci is "video editing". Don't think op is using thousands of dollars worth of programs on a 600$ pc.

Video editing does not mean using windows movie maker to compile different parts together and add voice over. Using Adobe after effects, premier, or davinci is "video editing". Don't think op is using thousands of dollars worth of programs on a 600$ pc.

Hey, OP just said "video editing". No reason to assume one way or the other. There's certainly a middle ground between movie marker and spending massive amounts of money on adobe software.

Verstrata, this looks all too familiar to your thread a month and a half ago.
Same usage, same budget, same "build in a few months".

To keep people from spending a bunch of time on this, please ask for build help when you're ready to buy parts.

Yeah. Just simple cutting parts out and that sort of stuff

Ya but you've done this a few times. You make a post, ask about a build, then you don't build it, then several months later you basically make the same post, people give you advice, but you don't do the build, then new hardware comes out and the conversation becomes irrelevant, or prices shift so much that totally different hardware would be recommended.

If nothing new is coming out in the next several months, ie, you made a post wanting Broadwell and an AMD cardright away when Broadwell and AMD 3XX comes out, odds are the recommendations made will hold true for 2 or 3 months. But not 6 months. That'll never happen. You need to have cash in hand and be ready to order the very next day to do a serious build list. Otherwise you're just ballparking stuff and will need a new thread when you're ready to buy. But you've done this already like 3 or 4 times.

Back