• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse suddenly won't work on Mouse Pad???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

So I took my Steelseries mousepad and my Logitech G700 mouse with me along with my laptop for a work trip so I could play some games. I've this setup on my main computer for 2 years now. Zero issues.

I arrive here and the mouse won't track properly on the mouse pad. If I use it on the hard desk, its fine, but on the mouse pad it freaks out and stutters and barely moves at all.

This doesn't even make any sense??? Could it be be possible that the Airport xray machines damaged the mouse laser somehow? Like I said, I've used this EXACT mousepad and mouse together for the past 2 years without any issues.
I've downloaded the latest driver just in case as well, but no luck.

Any other ideas?

This doesn't even make any sense??? Could it be be possible that the Airport xray machines damaged the mouse laser somehow?

No.

And mice do go bad. Batteries go bad. Electronics fail. Sensors fail. Now, why a laser mouse would work on a desk and not a mousepad... I can't think of a rational reason for that one, sorry.

If it's working on other surfaces but not your pad, I doubt the mouse is bad. If the mouse was going bad, was dirty, or the battery was failing, you'd be getting similar results on all surfaces.

My first guess (because this happens to me with my g700) is that the DPI buttons got pressed and it's now running at a different DPI than before. On normal surfaces it probably doesn't impact it as much as a surface that's specifically made for tracking. More feedback from the surface when the DPI and polling isn't configured to match can cause stuttering and odd behavior.

My second guess is that the mouse pad surface has become contaminated with something.

You can always try getting another mouse pad. A lot cheaper than a new g700 (which apparently is now discontinued so harder to find).

The G700 was replaced with the G700s. Same mouse, different coloring pattern.
Easy to find.

If it's working on other surfaces but not your pad, I doubt the mouse is bad. If the mouse was going bad, was dirty, or the battery was failing, you'd be getting similar results on all surfaces.

My first guess (because this happens to me with my g700) is that the DPI buttons got pressed and it's now running at a different DPI than before. On normal surfaces it probably doesn't impact it as much as a surface that's specifically made for tracking. More feedback from the surface when the DPI and polling isn't configured to match can cause stuttering and odd behavior.

My second guess is that the mouse pad surface has become contaminated with something.

You can always try getting another mouse pad. A lot cheaper than a new g700 (which apparently is now discontinued so harder to find).

Great idea about DPI!
I will check that. That has to be it...

Dust on the sensor lens? I've had that happen where a lint or dust got on the lens and mouse stopped working or was jumping all over the place, tracking erratically, etc. Doesn't explain why it would work differently on two different surfaces, other then possible one surface was easier for the sensor to track on then another.

So I came home....DPI not the issue. I moved it from 200 to 5800dpi and it still doesnt move properly. Immediately I remove it from the mousepad and its 100% perfect.
I just took my mobile Logitech mouse, and it works no problems on the Steel Series mousepad. This is SO WEIRD! I blew out the sensor as well...

To repeat again -- I used this mousepad at home, with this mouse with no problems. This only started on this business trip...

Is there any other explanation or could the mouses sensor somehow got screwed up between packing/airport xray machine?

EDIT: Here's another weird one...So I flipped the mousepad over, and it reads the wrong side of it (the black colored side). I am wondering if something in the sensor went bad and its not reading lighter colors. I have the CS:GO version and it is light colored:
71aakxc335L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Have you ever washed the mouse pad? Mine gets a gunk build-up on it from my palm and I scrub is with soapy water and a nylon dish scrubbing pad. Everything is fine afterwards. Like anything else you have to clean and maintain even the simplest components regularly.

Yep, give it a little hand wash. It's how I've kept my white PureTrak Talent pad nice and bright white. Keep in mind SteelSeries pads, after a year or more of heavy use can start showing "wear" and several mice are known to have issues with this in many cases.

Most probably the mouse is dirty from bottom side. The mouse pad may also be dirty. Try cleaning both. Same issue resolved lots of times by just cleaning the mouse from bottom. Mind you, no need to open up the mouse casing. Just clean the casing from the bottom.

I have the same issue with my Microcenter Giant mouse pad. Works perfect on the bare desk, but the pad has dead spots. I think I may have gotten TIM on it over the years. I'll have to try washing it to see if that helps.

+1 to try wiping off the mousepad. Use a bit of iso alcohol and a lint-free cloth and see if it cleans it up well for you.

Well, yeah, but it doesn't. OP was that the pad was the only discovered issue.

Thats why I think the sensor is going bad. Doesn't make sense that laser would suddenly pick and choose where it would track and where it wouldn't. Unless the mat itself is worn and has creases or holes, that mouse is going south imo. Worse comes to worse, he can use the desk in the mean time.

Could also be driver related. Have you tried re-installing the drivers? I don't think it's the mouse, I've had plenty of laser mice that have had the same problem from time to time. If cleaning them didn't work, a re-install of drivers did.

Edit: You're home now, does it do the same thing on your main rig?

Could also be driver related. Have you tried re-installing the drivers? I don't think it's the mouse, I've had plenty of laser mice that have had the same problem from time to time. If cleaning them didn't work, a re-install of drivers did.

He's done the drivers already.

Dirty lens should mean it would have trouble tracking on all surfaces I would imagine.

Mouse issues

I had the same issue and it only seemed to work on paper. I tried many things and finally decided to change the USB port that the mouse was plugged into. This seemed to have worked

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm hoping my answer will help someone in the future.

I'm gonna say your mouse probably got a little lint on the sensor while stored in your bag.
I say this because my bluetooth sony vaio mouse had the same issue on my ASUS gaming mousepad, and as I recall, other mousepads I've used in the past...

long story short, nothing wrong with the mouse, I simply stuck an earbud between the twin sensors and rotated it a few times, the earbud did come back with some dirt, and the sensors are nice and shiny now, and most importantly, the mouse works on my new gaming mousepad(it was a gift lol)

Back