• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

keyboard questions.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I play COD & WOW and my guild was talking the other day and a few told me that a mechanical keyboard is better for gaming than a normal one. I got a Logitech G19 and been reading about mechanicals and rly think id enjoy one but wanted to ask before I start out in a search for a new key board. is there rly a big difference between a normal and mechanical keyboard, Ive never used one before. I think id rly benefit from one to be honest. Give me your opinion and recommendation if you got a favorite.

You won't perform better with a mechanical. They feel better though, and stand up to abuse better. Pressing wasd on a membrane board is the same input as a mech. I say go for it, but have reasonable expectations for it as well.

I used to use a ms ergo keyboard that I had for almost 10 years I just bought a ducky mini for cod and insurgency and love it. Personally as long as your keep board has a high polling rate I don't think there is much of a difference other than cost and longevity. Mechanical keyboard last longer and are more expensive in general.

I agree with the above, the G19 is a good keyboard so your actual gaming experience isn't going to change much. If you had a budget membrane keyboard that ghosted then yes it would be a big difference. That said I used membranes for years and switched to a Cherry Brown about 6 months ago. I will never go back to a membrane keyboard. The feel and precision of the keystrokes is second to none compared to the membrane. The only downside that I have experienced is, the mechanical keyboard is a bit louder. I have put rubber O rings on my keys to help dampen the noise but it still is a bit noisy. It's not a big deal but if you game when or near people that are sleeping it could be an issue.

Good call Admin or go to the nearest computer outlet and test them out. There are definitely big differences between the different types.

Good call Admin or go to the nearest computer outlet and test them out. There are definitely big differences between the different types.

For me, the nearest computer outlet is Best Buy. They had the G710+ and some Razer piece of garbage.

Side story, I know because I went by there with the girlfriend when she was looking for a mechanical. She took one look at the Razer and said "why does it feel so cheap?"
My reply "It's Razer". She says "I'll just go buy that Ducky online". And she did. And she's very happy.

I would not advise to buy online mech. keyboard. If you can go to best buy or something similar and test your keyboard in the store if it is possible, so you do not get defect switches like I did. In my case when I push "G" it double registers it. So I get somethinGGGGG like this: gg gg gg gg g ggg gg g g g g g g gg g gg gg g g g g g g g g gg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g. And their suppord does not answer already for three days(Tesoro).

I would not advise to buy online mech. keyboard. If you can go to best buy or something similar and test your keyboard in the store if it is possible, so you do not get defect switches like I did. In my case when I push "G" it double registers it. So I get somethinGGGGG like this: gg gg gg gg g ggg gg g g g g g g gg g gg gg g g g g g g g g gg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g. And their suppord does not answer already for three days(Tesoro).

I believe, in your thread, you were warned about going with a cheap "no name" brand.

I have no issues buying online with any well-known brand including, but not limited to:
Ducky
Das Keyboard
Max Keyboard
Logitech

I was reading on a dif forum about ducky's are good mechanicals.

All the ones I listed above are very high quality mechanical keyboards.
There are others, but those four are where I suggest people look first.

Ducky, Das Keyboard, and Max Keyboard are all damn good, with IMO Ducky being what I tend to refer to as the mechanical "standard" as far as backlit mechanicals go. The Das Keyboards look damn sexy though I have to say, but I prefer my CherryMX Reds so for me Ducky or Max all the way. In fact I just recently switched from a Ducky Shine 2 to a Max Nighthawk X9, a membrane keyboard will not sit in front of my primary pc or it will be thrown out a window. Membranes are NOT WORTHY of my pc!

As for Cezar's issue, I believe that Tesoro boards are actually OEM boards from companies like iOne that are not very good. More research on your part would have put you in a better placement with a quality board like a Ducky, Max, Deck, etc. Why would you spend $130 - $150 on a mechanical keyboard to not go ahead and get one of the top brands available for quality?

If you are going to drop $100 or more on a mechanical keyboard I would suggest buying one of those kits that have different switches. I got brown and although I am happy with the keyboard I kind of wish I would have tried blacks.

If you are going to drop $100 or more on a mechanical keyboard I would suggest buying one of those kits that have different switches. I got brown and although I am happy with the keyboard I kind of wish I would have tried blacks.

Same here, I like my blacks, but my brothers roommate has a corsair board with reds that I love. Wish I had tried them first.

As Janus said, read his article. I remember reading it and cross-referencing the manufacturers and technology at the time and it's still a valid article. Not much has changed on the mech KB scene since then. I bought my dasKeyboard Ultimate S with browns and o-rings and love it. And I've had some older IBM KBs as well as membrane KBs over the years. Although pricey compared with membrane boards it's like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Back