• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running new outlets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

I have a 2 bdrm apt. Using comcast modem with 4 ports that is located in bdrm with 2 computers. I need to install a network out in second bdrm and 2 outlets in living room on opposite walls where 2 more computers are.
I have a friend that is going to help me run the cables up through crawlspace above apt. I need to know what cable to get and what ends to use. Should I install a switch by modem as it does not have enough ports for all the computers and outlets needed? Then run cables from switch into wall and up to all locations?
Any help and advice here is welcome.

You'll want a roll of Cat5e cable in whatever length you think you'll need, be sure to account for the length of running up and down the walls to the outlets. The ends you'll need are Cat5e RJ45 connectors, and you'll need a pair of crimpers designed for RJ45. You'll need Cat5e wall jacks/keystone jacks and a punchdown tool. You can probably find a kit and your local big-box hardware store that has all the tools you need plus a few connectors for cables.

You can run all your cables from a single location to each bedroom, and put a wall jack on both ends of the cable (for example, a 6 port jack in bedroom 1, and each cable runs to a single outlet jack around the house), then plug in small cables from your 6 port outlet to your router/switch.

You can run all your cables from a single location to each bedroom, and put a wall jack on both ends of the cable (for example, a 6 port jack in bedroom 1, and each cable runs to a single outlet jack around the house), then plug in small cables from your 6 port outlet to your router/switch.

Confused. Install a 6 port plate in comp room. Then run cables needed to each room from 6 port. What do you mean then plug in small cables from 6 port to modem?
Modem has 4 ports, cannot plug in 6 ports to 4 port modem.

Well you'll need to add an additional switch to accommodate more connections. The 6 port outlet was just thrown out there, could easily be a 3 port outlet or whatever, how many ever runs you make.

So install a 6 port wall outlet, run cables from it to all needed outlets in other rooms. Then buy a 6 port switch, run line from modem to 6 port switch, then short cables from 6 port switch to inlets on was mounted 6 port inlet? Is that about right?

Back