• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

False Specs on GTX 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well EVGA has now stated they will accept all 970s back for a refund or the option to pay for the upgrade to a 980 (at least in the UK). This is a master stroke on their part as it will definitely win over customers in the future (myself included) if the other brands do not step up.

Where did you hear this? I'm not finding anything. :shrug:

HI there

We have EVGA with us today and they are first to provide an update on the GTX970.

If you still feel you have to return your EVGA GTX970 then EVGA will 100% support any return of your product through OCUK.

EVGA do however encourage you to contact them directly before returning your card, as options to step up to GTX980 will be made available but only those in direct contact.

Please contact [email protected] if you have any concerns with your EVGA GTX970 product.

Everyone sharing the same 5 avatar pics on that site is super confusing haha

I'd be curious to see how many people actually return their cards.

Thanks for quoting properly and sourcing it guys. :)

I'd be curious to see how many people actually return their cards.
Good question.

I figure it won't be many honestly.

I'd also be shocked if they were forced to change it to '3.5GB' card too...

I agree that the number of people who change their cards will be small but I am not so confident about the "4GB" spec staying. There will be some sort of fine print added to it.

They told customers to return the card to where they bought them from. If they are having problems to contact NVIDIA? (See post earlier).

There sure is a lot of anger towards NVIDIA in this thread that I just can't wrap my head around...

Maybe it's because 64 ROPs and 2048 KB of L2 cache is what consumers were told multiple times...but 56 ROPs and 1792 KB of L2 cache was what was actually shipped.

Maybe. And I hear that, but the performance is what it is so that particular technicality doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm more impressed of its performance with lesser specs, LOL!

The slower section of vRAM bothers me more than that specification difference.

Dejo was mentioning 224bit throughout the thread.

I think people are pissed because they saw the performance numbers and associated that "level of performance" with the specs printed on the box, then, when they encountered stuttering issues 4 months later they find out the specs of the item they bought 4 months ago aren't even close to reality.

224GB/Sec throughput is what's printed on the boxes the cards ship in
256bit bus is printed on the boxes the cards ship in
64 ROPs and 2048 KB of L2 cache is what's printed on the box

196GB/Sec throughput is the actual measurement for the 3.5GB VRAM partition
28GB/Sec throughput is the actual measurement for the 5GB VRAM partition
224bit bus + 32 Bit bus is what was shipped
56 ROPs and 1792 KB of L2 cache was what was actually shipped.

Maybe. And I hear that, but the performance is what it is so that particular technicality doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm more impressed of its performance with lesser specs, LOL!

The slower section of vRAM bothers me more than that specification difference.

no matter how you slice it...if you print Specification A on your product's box and the product is actually Specification B you run afoul of consumer protection laws...there's no excuse for it...

That's why there's already a class action being created over this

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, it will only hurt AMD lowering the prices and Nvidia get away with minor sacrifice. Either Nvidia gonna fix it somehow or maybe have to offer a free exchange with a 290X (users choice, even aftermarket) out of Nvidias pocket for all users that gonna RMA a 970, this will be a fair deal i guess. In term it is truly just a few people RMA-ing it, it should be a fair and easy deal... if not i guess those users lie to me and it isnt a "minor RMA scale".

Last edited:
Nah, it will only hurt AMD lowering the prices and Nvidia get away with minor sacrifice. Either Nvidia gonna fix it somehow or maybe have to offer a free exchange with a 290X (users choice, even aftermarket) out of Nvidias pocket for all users that gonna RMA a 970, this will be a fair deal i guess. In term it is truly that few people RMA-ing it, it should be a fair and easy deal... if not i guess those users lie to me and it isnt a "minor RMA scale".

This isn't going to happen. Nvidia isn't going to refund anyone's card themselves either... They're not going to upgrade anyone's MSI Gaming 970 to a 980 either (why would they have either of those on hand?)...

For someone who only ordered a 970 yesterday, Ivy, you are far too upset about this.

And FYI, you and others everywhere online are making yourselves look silly when you make demands that won't possibly be met: "I'm so upset! If Nvidia gives me a refund, I will do it in a heartbeat! ... as long as they give me a pet gorilla as well...". You're putting stipulations on the return which you know won't be met because you also know you don't actually want to return the card.

Just chillax and wait until you actually get your card and test it before joining the mob with a torch and pitchfork...

Does anyone know what the "upgrade" to the 980 will cost when dealing with the manufacturer (EVGA). Might be a good way to get a 980 via healthy discount.

Aye, no one is getting a free upgrade as that is not a feasible or realistic expectation. There is no way nvidia would pay for anyone to get a competitors card. So far the EVGA exchange was done in good faith but I am willing to wait this out a bit more to see how nvidia responds.

I could care less really because i know reality... companies can get away with almost any bad act in usual. I tell the stuff that will truly be a punishment, not the stuff without punishment at all. Lowering prices is not a punishment, it will only create even more stress to the competition.

The demand is most likely silly because in term my conditions are true the RMA scale may truly hurt Nvidia, no matter show soft the words from some people regarding "minor RMA scale", it is all a matter of condition not RMA allone... the usual RMA is a act of a pricy returns at the cost of vendors and customers and nothing else thats why many people stay away from this because to much hassle and time is not free too, so not even barely a punishment. I know the word "punishment" because not a softie. In my country a single shipment is at least 10 USD, one single way... when i RMA already 20 USD shipment cost including nerves and time and all i get is probably a GPU upgrade that may not even fit on my PC (i dont have 2x 8 PIN). The only option is from the competition, so money back is the least that works, but usually it only hurts vendors and customers. So i am not sure why so much enthusiasm regarding low-level-condition-based-RMA, its all work and minor candy.

But usually in US people are rarely sensitive about shipment cost, i know a US vendor that is selling tea from China. Someday the tea was not good, so he offered me to return it to the warehouse. 30 USD shipment to me, 30 USD to return, and total value 150 USD... just doesnt pay out in a healthy economy but he cant see any issue.

Last edited:
Aye, no one is getting a free upgrade as that is not a feasible or realistic expectation. There is no way nvidia would pay for anyone to get a competitors card. So far the EVGA exchange was done in good faith but I am willing to wait this out a bit more to see how nvidia responds.

If you're responding to me I never said free upgrade :p

Does anyone know what the "upgrade" to the 980 will cost when dealing with the manufacturer (EVGA). Might be a good way to get a 980 via healthy discount.

I didn't really see any followup from anyone in that thread (more evidence towards the opinion that no one actually wants to return their 970s...)

If you're responding to me I never said free upgrade :p

Sorry, it was in response to the post made by Ivy.

To explain why I am concerned about these new specs is that I have doubts over the capability of the slower vram. The L2 cache and ROPs really do not matter to me and outside the GM204 white paper there is no official published L2 cache/ROPs specs from nvidia....I could be wrong on that though.

Edit:

As far as I am aware about the upgrade costs it will be the difference between the two cards as if they were new. So effectively you are paying full price for a 980 which is fair imo.

Some review sites published those specs. They were given out in the review package from Nvidia I would imagine. They were not in my Galax review, not sure what Dino received.

That said, that backend stuff I could care less about. The real issue is the performance over 3.5GB that people should be up in arms about and not the petty details surrounding it like the ROPS/TMUs, etc.

Back