• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

False Specs on GTX 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
980s don't have anything disabled, so you have just as much chance of something being found "defective" (not as described is a better phrase to use here) with those as you do with any other card. In other words, the 970 issue doesn't translate to anything in regards to the 980; you have nothing to be worried about :thup:

Im not from EU so the law is not with me.

Certainly, i may buy AMD cards because of marketing but Nvidia cards i only buy because of sheer performance and with every marketing revealed the chance of buying it may drop. :D Somehow the fixer video is very true, Nvidia cant truly make proper presentation but there is supreme performance in term they dont screw up. Well, indeed, 970 is still supreme performance but i kinda worry i may become issues when fully modded games such as Skyrim, it may lag/spike at 3.5GB+ (it will use every bit of RAM im pretty sure). I will know the deal probably next monday at arrival, my card has been send 29. Jan, and paid for it already several days ago.

In term i was informed about the 3.5 GB issue in advance, right at the release or simply way sooner, i may have waited several more months and may have picked a 300 (or whatever) series AMD card that may be released in some months. So the stuff Nvidia did was indeed having a true effect on my "buying-choice" and all they did was truly some kind of scam, no matter a accident or even on purpose, fact is i may never have gotten the card in term i had the info.

Last edited:
Im not from EU so the law is not with me.

Certainly, i may buy AMD cards because of marketing but Nvidia cards i only buy because of sheer performance and with every marketing revealed the chance of buying it may drop. :D Somehow the fixer video is very true, Nvidia cant truly make proper presentation but there is supreme performance in term they dont screw up. Well, indeed, 970 is still supreme performance but i kinda worry i may become issues when fully modded games such as Skyrim, it may lag/spike at 3.5GB+ (it will use every bit of RAM im pretty sure). I will know the deal probably next monday at arrival, my card has been send 29. Jan, and paid for it already several days ago.

In term i was informed about the 3.5 GB issue in advance, right at the release or simply way sooner, i may have waited several more months and may have picked a 300 (or whatever) series AMD card that may be released in some months. So the stuff Nvidia did was indeed having a true effect on my "buying-choice" and all they did was truly some kind of scam, no matter a accident or even on purpose, fact is i may never have gotten the card in term i had the info.

01-27-15, 01:44 PM (you were still deciding)
Very difficult one...

Category 1: No fit such as Gigabyte G1, Inno3D iChill, Asus Strix
Category 2: May fit with squeezing. MSI Gaming
Category 3: Easy to make it fit but worse cooling, either noise or temperature. EVGA, Palit. Palit run silent but high temperature.

01-27-15, 06:11 PM (and by this point, you definitely knew)
This is a hard cookie to gnaw on, need more tea with a splash of tears. Now i ordered a 970 GTX for the sake of 4 GB RAM only and now i hear about dirty RAM management tricks probably in order to cut down cost, i wonder if AMD is different... so far nothing heard. Although i am a 1080P gamer so it may not hit me hard but my modded games surely may use 3 GB RAM or more... so i do need RAM performance.

And people remember, RAW FPS says nothing, more important how stable the FPS will behave... any spike is big annoyance, thats why multi GPU was not always a first bet. But nowadays the issue is low because so much improvements from both sides, especially AMD.

The thing is, its truly inproper marketing, because for example we could say the PS4 got 8.25 GB RAM but just 8 GB is in fact fast gaming RAM and only 4.5 GB actually usable for games. On a console not much of a deal because the software will be customized. On PC much bigger issue when specs cant be trusted because wrong specs or insufficient specs can be lot of troubles, transparency is critical.

Is your invoice dated in between those two timestamps?

The information on the 970 spec discrepancy had also already been out for a 24-48 hours before you (supposedly) bought your card and would have been (and is, currently) the top Google hit for "970 gtx".

If you didn't know about the "issue" when you bought, then you're a lazy consumer (I'll refer you to the quote in EarthDog's sig). And if the alternative is true and you did know about it beforehand, then why have you been in here complaining for the past 4 days?

The card has been ordered probably half a day before the moment when i got the 3.5 GB problem revealed. Unable to cancel because the fund is handed out by a collection bank cant just cancel such a payment. I was to poor making the deal by a other payment option and it was the cheapest offer in my whole country, still about 15% above Newegg price (10% taxes included).

Going to ckeck exact data and may update.

Order date + payment (by collection bank): 27. Jan, afternoon (local time)
Info regarding card issue received: 28. Jan, early morning (US time + about 6-8 h = local time)

I already had issues with many games (especially modded Skyrim) for around a full year, regarding RAM limit, and i was looking for a fail or foolproof 4GB card. In term i knew the 3.5 GB issue i may surely have waited another few months, at least i may have carefully watched the issue for at least a full week, checking out if i actually may suffer.
So the false marketing was hitting me the hardest possible because 4GB was the reason for upgrading.

Last edited:
The card has been ordered probably half a day before the moment when i got the 3.5 GB problem revealed. Unable to cancel because the fund is handed out by a collection bank cant just cancel such a payment. I was to poor making the deal by a other payment option and it was the cheapest offer in my whole country, still about 15% above Newegg price (10% taxes included).

Going to ckeck exact data and may update.

So, then your thread where you were asking which 4GB card to get (1st timestamp link)...you had already bought it before then?...

so far the performance of my card is acceptable. the issue comes from the continued lies from nvidia, and that is wrong from any company.
the main issue is performance and value of the card going forward. anyone that cant see that the card is now tainted has to be out of thier mind.

So, then your thread where you were asking which 4GB card to get (1st timestamp link)...you had already bought it before then?...
Yes pretty sure, simply around half a day before i got the 3.5 GB thing. At the 1. stamp (second quote) i was already ordering it but i told you why i see no better option. Hard decision but it was already made at that point.

Kinda a unfortunate story:
Because of HIFI matters, i am short on bucks for many months already and was delaying the card matter month after month and had to stop playing some games because didnt run well... RAM issues. At some point i saw a opportunity to solve a issue with affordable payment. Half a day after my order has been done... i get a horror story... i mean this is truly a nail in the coffin just because someone cant spell out the truth for whatever reason. Not sure i can solve the issue and cash is now gone, thats a fact. But maybe the card runs fine, who knows.

Last edited:
so far the performance of my card is acceptable. the issue comes from the continued lies from nvidia, and that is wrong from any company.
the main issue is performance and value of the card going forward. anyone that cant see that the card is now tainted has to be out of thier mind.

Used prices seem to be the same. I would imagine it'll depreciate at the same rate going forward as would any 3.5GB with its performance level.

The value of it in SLI as an alternative to single high end cards probably dips a little, but what is the actual vram usage in 4k scenarios (where 2 970s are warranted)? Is 4GB even enough?

Yes pretty sure, simply around half a day before i got the 3.5 GB thing. At the 2. stamp i was already ordering it but i told you why i see no better option. Hard decision but it was already made at that point.

Kinda a unfortunate story:
Because of HIFI matters, i am short on bucks for many months already and was delaying the card matter month after month and had to stop playing some games because didnt run well... RAM issues. At some point i saw a opportunity to solve a issue with affordable payment. Half a day after my order has been done... i get a horror story... i mean this is truly a nail in the coffin just because someone cant spell out the truth for whatever reason. Not sure i can solve the issue and cash is now gone, thats a fact. But maybe the card runs fine, who knows.

Sorry about the financial woes, Ivy, but I don't think I can believe you about when you purchased the card without an invoice. The way your thread reads where you're asking for advice on which 4GB card to get, it just doesn't make sense that you had already purchased one...

Not gonna keep arguing about my exact buying date, it was a couple posts before the 3.5 GB info and anyone not believing it i could care less. Apparently some people got in mind i did want to get a 970 even while knowing about the 3.5 GB issue. I was to busy checking everything every single day, my infos are delayed. Unlucky... in term i had info 12h sooner i may have canceled ordering it.

But truly not desperate enough getting a potential "memory issue" card, just not worth it when i already waited so long and AMD may release new card soon.

Btw. I dont stop discussion just because i ordered something, im not same such as most of the people. I like to continue arguing about, but at some point i make a decision, else it can take several weeks or even months (HIFI actually was taking months because super hard decision) and i never expected a horror story all of a sudden.

But a major reason for a unusual quick decision was the sudden price boost of 970, especially the MSI 970 was +40+ USD on many vendors all of a sudden, so i tried to pick the offer quick that had still a reasonable price. In my country the issue is creating a price boost (i guess vendors do worry about costs) but at that time i had no info regarding the issue, apparently some vendors was faster.

Last edited:
Not gonna keep arguing about my exact buying date, it was a couple posts before the 3.5 GB info and anyone not believing it i could care less. Apparently some people got in mind i did want to get a 970 even while knowing about the 3.5 GB issue. I was to busy checking everything every single day, my infos are delayed. But unlucky... in term i had info 12h sooner i may have canceled ordering it

But truly not desperate enough getting a potential "memory issue" card, just not worth it when i already waited so long and AMD may release new card soon.

Lol OK, bud. Have fun in that world of yours...

I dont care youre believes really. Maybe i like to hurt myself and am buying questionable goods on purpose... thats your world maybe.

I dont care youre believes really. Maybe i like to hurt myself and am buying questionable goods on purpose... thats your world maybe.

I think you like having something to be up in arms about. Nothing you've done or said thus far disproves that.

OK why not. Although i can create a drama even without any armed condition, because i am probably pro. :D

OK why not.

Because you're just propagating hysteria and spewing rhetoric rather than contributing anything meaningful to the conversation.

Had you bought the card after knowing about the discrepancy in.order to test it and give our community your feedback, I would be overjoyed as that is useful. That's not what you did, though.

Because you're just propagating hysteria and spewing rhetoric rather than contributing anything meaningful to the conversation.

Had you bought the card after knowing about the discrepancy in.order to test it and give our community your feedback, I would be overjoyed as that is useful. That's not what you did, though.
Meaningful is the term of everyones own reality, it cant be considered a standart. To Nvidia cutting a memory interface is meaningful, means more bucks... and it is the main culprit in everyones reality considering a meaningful approach. To you, meaningful is when it goes toward your rooster-driven head and everything that is a obstacle is being picked on, simply a strong sense how the reality should be.

But anyway, i will have the card here soon and it doesnt hurt to test it out to the bones, because i am not lazy, probably meaningful.

Meaningful is the term of everyones own reality, it cant be considered a standart. To Nvidia cutting a memory interface is meaningful, means more bucks... and it is the main culprit in everyones reality considering a meaningful approach. To you, meaningful is when it goes toward your rooster-driven head and everything that is a obstacle is being picked on, simply a strong sense how the reality should be.

Huh? Rooster-driven?

The character of a rooster... chinese zodiac.

The rooster is almost the epitome of fidelity and punctuality. For ancestors who had no alarm clocks, the rooster's crowing was significant, as it could awaken people to get up and start to work. Another symbolic meaning this creature carries is exorcising evil spirits. People used to worship ancestors and believed in fortune telling for a long time.

That certainly clears it up...

did some testing on my card today. compared it versus a titan. loaded up bf4 and ran them both on ultra settings at 1920x1080 and had motion blur on- ambient occlusion:ssbs, AA: txaa4- godrays to enhanced and fur simulated. The odd thing is the frame times with the 970 would get a huge spike at almost every minute on the dot. WE noticed the regularity and even stopped doing anything when it was time and just looked up in the sky and did nothing while waiting and sure enough on the minute, a huge lag spike

Back