• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

False Specs on GTX 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
but it doesnt make it the only legitime or rational way

Another thing you may want to pick up regarding good forums practice: don't edit your posts after someone has quoted it...

Here is a quick update of what is happening in the UK. It does have some brand stances so I thought it may be relevant.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18651061&page=168
Post 5028

Hi there

I now have a final update on all brands:

YES BRANDS! (Supporting OcUK)

OcUK Brand: We support these ourselves as customer is king.
KFA2 (Formerly Galax): Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal.
Inno3D: Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal.
EVGA: Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal and offering step up for customers contacting them directly.
Asus: No decision but their support in past has being legendary so we are confident they will have our backs.
Zotac: Looking into it but want to support but need final decision to come form big boss, looking good though!
Palit: Now supporting OcUK with our returns!

NO BRANDS! (Refusing to support or make a decision this week)

- Gigabyte: Will not accept returns, but have not come to a final decision. As such OcUK shall still take them back and cover all the cost ourselves.
- MSI: Want to still think about it and decide next week. OcUK is fed up of waiting and as such will take back cards now and we shall cover the cost ourselves.

I am really hopeful the NO brands come to their senses and at the very least support OcUK and really should support all their resellers globally. If they change their minds we will let you our customers know!

In short OcUK will now accept returns on all brands should you be unhappy with your purchase, the window for returning a 970 is between now and end of February.

I must inform customers that 970 performance is absolutely mind blowing and is the best all round performance card sub £300, the only faster single GPU card is the 980, but cost a lot more and the extra performance does not justify the extra cost. This makes the 970 still the performance bargain at sub £300! The stuttering some customers are experiencing, some customers are not experiencing or are also experiencing on other GPU's, so this does mean that issues some are experiencing are simply down to drivers/system configuration, so do try different drivers and updates first. Then some games simply run poor on all GPU platforms. So please bear in mind as 970 is the card everyone was raving about only a week ago, nothing has changed, it is still the same awesome product it was previously and still is. But if you are truly unhappy then please contact OcUK returns in regards to your 970 purchase (all brands).

Here are some performance stats:
BUT guys before just saying here have your money back you should be talking the customer through the following to try and prevent the refund in the first place:
• There is no issue with the 970 product, this is by design from NVIDIA in the 970 GPU
• There is a $220 delta in the price of the 970 vs. the 980
• There is only a 3% performance delta of the 970 vs. the 980
• If Direct Customer has an irate customer that wants to return the board, let the customer return it.

In order to try and assist further we have included some performance data below so that you can see actual testing results between the GTX 970 and the GTX 980.

Shadows of Mordor: GTX 980 GTX970
<3.5GB settings: 2688x1512 Very High 72FPS 60FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3456x1944 Very High 55FPS (24%) 45FPS (-25%)
Relative performance difference: 1%

Battlefield 4:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 2xMSAA 36FS 30FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 135% res. 19FPS (-47%) 15FPS (-50%)
Relative performance difference: 3%

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS off 82FPS 71FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS on 48FPS (-41%) 40FPS (-44%)

As you can see above the relative performance difference varies from 1% in Shadows of Mordor, to 3% in Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The performance differences between a 970 and 980 in the above examples remain a constant 15-19%, regardless of memory usage.

I hope that the above information helps clarify the performance from the GTX 970. Please let us know if you do want to continue with a step-up on your product for the higher performing GTX 980 card, and we'll get that option opened up for you.

OcUK & Caseking believes customer is King!

OcUK believes the customer is king and this is why we are offering this to ONLY our customers on all brands even though some of the brands are point blank refusing to take product back and support us.

I hope this will go a long way in securing in peoples minds that OcUK has changed since several years ago when it comes to customer service and now we truly are the best in the industry and without a doubt the Kings of graphics card. We offer the largest range, we have the most exclusives and our prices are competitive if not the best. You then get so much more with OcUK also, these forums with staff around the clock monitoring and helping out and our legendary customer service.

We are not a faceless company and the customer truly is King in our opinion!

Have a great weekend and those who are 100% returning cards please don't all ring or email at once and give it some real thought if an RMA is what you really wish to do because as I say this issue is blown hugely out of proportion, the 970 is still simply epic and will remain the great card it is.

Over and out!

H'onwards
H'upwards

Gibbo

P.S. To make it clear OcUK & Caseking will accept all brands back if you truly are unhappy, our companies are the best in customer service throughout UK/Europe, we are no.1 !!!!

P.S.2 To return a card you must contact RMA department first and then post the card back to us or bring it in person, but you must obtain an RMA first!

Last edited by Gibbo; 30th Jan 2015 at 13:14.

I would be willing to bet my paycheck says that they are getting the same money on these returns as they do on DOA/warranty cards. So cheers to OcUK and whoemever else, but, I would bet that NVIDIA is supporting this too. But to prevent abuse, they may not make that be known outside of the vendors.

LOL, the AMD marketing machine at work again!

That said, I wonder if they are actually giving discounts for those that switch or if this i just a push on their current stellar pricing...so not sure Ivy got his/her(?) wish actually.

I was going to swap my 290 leg warmer out for a couple of 970s even though some of what I'm doing is pushing the envelope on 4Gb a bit more GPU would have benefit me(and I didn't want another leg warmer because overclocked my 290 is showing similar power draw at the wall to my SLI 670's)....but if it might cause some stuttering I guess I'll have to wait.....or get a second nuclear reactor to power crossfired leg warmers.

more funny

Incredible! hahaha

I was going to swap my 290 leg warmer out for a couple of 970s even though some of what I'm doing is pushing the envelope on 4Gb a bit more GPU would have benefit me(and I didn't want another leg warmer because overclocked my 290 is showing similar power draw at the wall to my SLI 670's)....but if it might cause some stuttering I guess I'll have to wait.....or get a second nuclear reactor to power crossfired leg warmers.

Hehe I ran CF 290s with an EVGA 850 B2 (not overclocked).

EDIT: Whoops (double post) thanks ;)

Last edited:
Another thing you may want to pick up regarding good forums practice: don't edit your posts after someone has quoted it...
I am usually just expanding my posts or correcting some wrong maths (way faster than Nvidia does). But i will stand firm regarding the core expression, no need to worry.
Usually i dont edit words when new posts, i agree it doesnt make much sense but i like correct numbers and may still edit them.

Im usually just expanding my posts or correcting some wrong maths (way faster than Nvidia does). But i will stand firm regarding the core expression, no need to worry.
Usually i dont edit words when new posts, i agree it doesnt make much sense but i like correct numbers and may still edit them.

Maybe if took more time with your posts, you could correct multiple problems at once (incorrect figures, language barrier, post-quote edits, general insanity)...

Completely different mentality, i rather enjoy to pin down a moment and then figuring out what else could be improved or added, more of a blogger nature and i actually write blogs, nothing personal and not trying to put some advantage. So you can pin it down, no problem, i will simply make new post after.
No doubt. Edits, BIG ones, 45 minutes later few people catch...
I was improving/adding some entry even 12h+ after, when there was no reply. When he quoted it, i noticed to late, no offence.

LOL, the AMD marketing machine at work again!

That said, I wonder if they are actually giving discounts for those that switch or if this i just a push on their current stellar pricing...so not sure Ivy got his/her(?) wish actually.
Nah, i want Nvidia to feel the aftertaste of false marketing.. so i am not sure AMD can fix it.

Last edited:
guys, lets remember that we are friends here. would like to see everyone getting along better. everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Johnny, Its not opinions that are in question here. YHPM.

Move on past this please...:grouphug:

Last edited:
Well, 970s are going back in Eu. Under Eu law, if anything is sold under false advertising, the customer can return the product for a full refund.

I dont know how to feel. Happy i went with 980s? or worried they may find issues with them too?

Back