• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to choose a CPU for new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I personally tend to go with the more cores and more threading (there are weeks when I have to edit videos, and the hyper threading really does help).

However for what you have listed an i5 4690k should work just fine.

On the other hand, the CPU with the fastest stock single core speed is currently the 4790k. This is what I run for daily use as it's stock single core speed is un-matched (it is much lower on the non-k 4790).

So if you need to save some cash and are good with overclocking the 4690k will be great for you at around 4.4GHz. If you want to run stock clock speeds the best you can get right now is the 4790k (which also has a ton of extra cores for knocking out whatever else you might find yourself doing).

You're suggesting a 4790K so someone can run it stock? The whole point of a K cpu is that it's unlocked. :eek:
I see in your sig that you're running one stock. I can not understand the logic behind this. Why pay a premium for an unlocked CPU so you can run it stock? Idungetit.

The 4790k stock is faster than the 4790 non-k stock. He spent the money so he could get the best stock performance.

I wish there was a place that someone could go to spend their money and not get criticized for it.

you know, i keep rereading the Op's posts, i dont see where he said he was not going to oc. i think the kicker is going to be OS choice for that long term, will he upgrade from what ever he plans to use? will that os and other programs be more setup for using more then 2-4-6 threads? being that right now a non-HT K quad might be the way to go. though on the other hand a HT enabled K quad core would be worth the investment up front. we could go back and forth about this, we could assume alot of things. really more feedback/input from the Op is needed..

as assuming no overclocking the 4790K does sport the highest non-turbo clock speed. if you want stabiilty with the highest clock speed then you have to pay for it and thats the 4790K. if your going to oc and from what i see, might missed a few. the K's seems to end up around the same speed overall on air/water. Hopefully soon, tech tweaker comes back to provide with a bit more info.

The 4790k stock is faster than the 4790 non-k stock. He spent the money so he could get the best stock performance.

I wish there was a place that someone could go to spend their money and not get criticized for it.

There is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. If you're doing it with the intent of helping the person see the light, I don't see the harm.

There is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. If you're doing it with the intent of helping the person see the light, I don't see the harm.

Unfortunately, your criticism shed no light on the already illuminated truth. In fact you seem to be trying to obscure the reality by regurgitating what is only HALF of the truth...

Last edited:
you know, i keep rereading the Op's posts, i dont see where he said he was not going to oc. i think the kicker is going to be OS choice for that long term, will he upgrade from what ever he plans to use? will that os and other programs be more setup for using more then 2-4-6 threads? being that right now a non-HT K quad might be the way to go. though on the other hand a HT enabled K quad core would be worth the investment up front. we could go back and forth about this, we could assume alot of things. really more feedback/input from the Op is needed..

as assuming no overclocking the 4790K does sport the highest non-turbo clock speed. if you want stabiilty with the highest clock speed then you have to pay for it and thats the 4790K. if your going to oc and from what i see, might missed a few. the K's seems to end up around the same speed overall on air/water. Hopefully soon, tech tweaker comes back to provide with a bit more info.
I'm afraid I'm a bit lost here.

What was it that more information/clarification was needed on?

AMD was once the price/value king. We all owe AMD purchasers some gratitude for keeping SOMETHING of competitive pressure on Intel, and we can only hope they rise to the occasion again in 2016.

Overclocking an FX-8350 takes a lot of power, and while I don't really know that board, the treatment is either 8 phase or 6+2 phase. If it's the latter, it might be overtaxed, but I'd really have to defer to owners of the board about their experience. I seem to recall it's popular.

I have the Extreme 6 (with 4790K), and I'm happy with it. ASRock and ASUS have caused a few threads around here regarding warranty, and frankly I've never needed to use it. I've had ASRock's last for many years, under 24/7 usage, but there's always going to be someone with a bad experience. Personally I'm glad I have the board. 10 Sata ports, all quick, great power treatment, good colors, and they claim it's been burned in with 168 hours of testing.

Your gaming interests are probably better served by an Intel part, either one. Few games have much use for more than 4 threads. 4690K's can typically hit 4.5, 4.6 Ghz, and with your cooling you might manage higher.

If you wanted to trim the budget a little, the RAM selected is faster than needed, but that latency is the real reason it's a great choice. The Extreme6 can handle the 1.6v RAM easily, and if you run the RAM at a more modest 1600 you'll likely be presented with a standard speed (un-overclocked) CAS of 7, which is fantasitc.

I hesitate to recommand non-HT or HT for you. It's a $100 difference, and a lot of what you're doing won't need it, but then....it does offer more compute power and "availability" if you run applications while gaming.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm a bit lost here.

What was it that more information/clarification was needed on?

people were assuming overclocking and not overclocking, yet i saw nothing from you that talked about it unless i just overlooked it. as there is good reasons for and not overclocking as it really depends on how/what the pc will be used.

as in the case of overclocking, get the cheaper quad core with HT. if not then get the one with the highest stock clock with HT. in the long run your 4-5years, if programs move to being able to use more then 4 threads HT will give you a buffer sort-a speak. if you were going shorter term like 2-3years i would say a unlocked non-HT quad core.

Maybe i was also seeing things starting to get out of hand a bit. while there is always a need for discussion for both stock vs oc'd rigs, really comes down to what the OP wants. this is regardless if this is overclockers.com, we still help people with or without ocing questions, that's just what we do here.

people were assuming overclocking and not overclocking, yet i saw nothing from you that talked about it unless i just overlooked it. as there is good reasons for and not overclocking as it really depends on how/what the pc will be used.

as in the case of overclocking, get the cheaper quad core with HT. if not then get the one with the highest stock clock with HT. in the long run your 4-5years, if programs move to being able to use more then 4 threads HT will give you a buffer sort-a speak. if you were going shorter term like 2-3years i would say a unlocked non-HT quad core.

Maybe i was also seeing things starting to get out of hand a bit. while there is always a need for discussion for both stock vs oc'd rigs, really comes down to what the OP wants. this is regardless if this is overclockers.com, we still help people with or without ocing questions, that's just what we do here.

I can tell you, without a doubt, that TT will overclock the system.

Back