• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my drive absurdly slow? (OCZ Vertex 4)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MyAdler

Registered
I've had my SSD for awhile and I never really considered its performance until recently. It seems to me as though its REALLY slow compared to what I should be expecting.

Its a 128gb OCZ Vertex 4.

Windows assigns it a score of 6.9 in the Windows Experience Index.
I ran PerformanceTest 8.0 from Passmark and the disk achieves a score of 1537, pretty good for a harddrive, pretty terrible for an SSD. I have more specific results as well if anyone is interested.

I looked at other peoples score with the same SSD and some people achieve a score well above 5000 with the average being 3425.

The drive has the latest firmware according to OCZ's tool.

I have the disk partitioned nearly 50/50 ext4/ntfs.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
What's the rest of the system?
Are you in AHCI mode?

Good question, here's my specs:
Motherboard: SuperMicro X7DWN+
Processors: Pair of Xeon L5410's
Memory: 16GB of pc-5300 fully buffered
Video Card: Geforce GT 640
Secondary HDD: Some 500GB drive

I'll have to reboot to check if I'm in AHCI.

EDIT: AHCI mode is NOT enabled. Enabling it crashes Windows, I'm googling for the solution...

Last edited:
Here is my info if it helps, my Vertex 4 is at least a year and a half old. It's not as fast as the newest drives but certainly not slow.
Capture2.PNG

I enabled AHCI and my score has jumped to 1793. Not bad for such a simple fix though I still feel like something is wrong. Mandrakes results for Sequential Reads put mine to shame.

Is there reason to suspect the fullness of the drive? I only have 2.5GB free...

When stuffed that full... That can be a problem, yes. That said using ocz toolbox, TRIM the drive, then run atto and see where it's at.

I ran the same benchmark as Mandrake so its easy to compare, here are my results.

DiskMark.png

There is a clear disparity with reading.

When stuffed that full... That can be a problem, yes. That said using ocz toolbox, TRIM the drive, then run atto and see where it's at.

I TRIMed the drive and reran the test above and found the results unchanged. Is there something special about ATTO or is CrystalDiskMark sufficient?

You're motherboard only supports SATA II, that's why you see the difference in sequential

was going to say offset, but looking at the 4k's thats not the issue. has to be the fullness of the drive

It will let that SSD stretch its legs... But can your board boot from PCIe (see your manual), as not all can.

No, the slow 4K speeds are due to the drive being jam-packed full.

I'm afraid something else must be happening. I shuffled around the partitions to give my windows install an additional 25GB. The test are similar to worse. Notable 512k Write.

DiskMark2.png

You've only got ~25GB free of 128GB. You're not going to get the same speeds as an empty SSD.
Period, end of story.

Speeds look fine for a (mostly) full SSD.

Especially one that's being tested while in use as an OS...

I'm afraid something else must be happening. I shuffled around the partitions to give my windows install an additional 25GB. The test are similar to worse. Notable 512k Write.

View attachment 159280
Did you TRIM the drive after this move and before the benchmark? 25GB should be plenty (its ~20%) to run where it should. But again, you are on SATAII.

Did you TRIM the drive after this move and before the benchmark? 25GB should be plenty (its ~20%) to run where it should. But again, you are on SATAII.

Alright, I TRIMed it and ran the benchmark with the iterations set to 5.

Things are slightly better. I guess this is as good as Ill get it until I upgrade to SATA 3.

DiskMark2.png

EDIT: Windows seems to think things are slightly better. Its gone up in its rating from 6.9 to 7.1

EDIT EDIT: By the way, thanks for all your help everyone.

Last edited:
Back