• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] Overclocking MSI GTX 750 Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joinasmashgamer

Registered
Trying to overclock my GPU using MSI Afterburner.

* I need help/ideas on how much to add on Core Clock
* I need help/ideas on how much to add on Memory Clock

PC SPECS:

cpu: i3-4160
gpu: msi gaming gtx 750
ram: vengeance 2x4gb 1600
psu: antec vp550p
cooling: deepcool maelstrom 120k

Last edited:
Every gpu is different. We can't say add xxx MHz and for sure be ok. Overclock the core... When it freezes or shows artifacts in testing, back it off. Rinse and repeat with the ram.

Don't expect miracles though with a 750 as far as performance.

Every gpu is different. We can't say add xxx MHz and for sure be ok. Overclock the core... When it freezes or shows artifacts in testing, back it off. Rinse and repeat with the ram.

Don't expect miracles though with a 750 as far as performance.

Ok so you mean to say even if i try to overclock my gpu, there's not much or little that i can notice of? Also when not running any GPU related software, my GPU fan stays at 32% even if im gaming or doing a stress test. Not unless when i use the MSI afterburner and set it to automatic then it will rise. Is this normal to any GPUs out there if you dont use anything?

Last edited:
A few percent performance increase is about all. But still worth it. A few % is a few %. Just don't expect something unplayable to sudden be playable. Its a low end card not really meant for 1080p gaming.

That is unusual to me that it only does it with MSI AB.

A few percent performance increase is about all. But still worth it. A few % is a few %. Just don't expect something unplayable to sudden be playable. Its a low end card not really meant for 1080p gaming.

That is unusual to me that it only does it with MSI AB.

do you have any idea about my gpu staying @ 32% (this is its minimum fan speed) when not running any gpu related software even if im doing a stress test or using it for gaming?

What temperature is it running? It's very possible the factory fan curve is a flat line at 32% until it hits a certain temperature.

What temperature is it running? It's very possible the factory fan curve is a flat line at 32% until it hits a certain temperature.

Thats also what im thinking. Im really curious to how they set this up if the manufacturer really did this coz if i dont use any gpu software, even if i run stress test like FurMark, fan stays at 32% even if temp is already 50 celsius until i noticed after 5 minutes that fan is not increasing, i ended the test. So, im wondering when will this fan increase at a certain temp or it just stays at 32% no matter what. :shock:

No idea. Just have AB load on startup.

well, that would just be my last resort. If im about to game then ill have to run MSI AB with auto fan so my gpu stays healthy while im ON. Still wondering if this is common to MSI Gaming GTX 750s out there though.

Do you have any other GPU software running in the background in which you set a custom fan curve (a flat one, in this case, at 32%)?

If not, I would see if there's an updated BIOS for the card and/or contact MSI support.

Steps for you will be the same:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/754770-I-need-some-help-in-OC-ing-my-R9-290X

As ED said, you can expect anywhere from 0-20% improvement (most likely 5-10%).

Ok so it would be good if i add it little by little. To run the test (im using FurMark), do i need to do a stress test after adding core/memory? if so, for how many minutes? Or do i just do a benchmark like it runs for 1 minute approximately? Just wondering what you mean it says on the link that:

"Add a little mhz at a time (10-20) to either core or memory and run uni gene heaven or 3dmark until it crashes is there is artifacting"

Im confused about until it crashes like do i have to wait for a very long time until it crashes or there is a certain setting that could crash it when it doesnt support the overclock anymore?

Do you have any other GPU software running in the background in which you set a custom fan curve (a flat one, in this case, at 32%)?

If not, I would see if there's an updated BIOS for the card and/or contact MSI support.

Steps for you will be the same:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/754770-I-need-some-help-in-OC-ing-my-R9-290X

As ED said, you can expect anywhere from 0-20% improvement (most likely 5-10%).

I just reformat my PC and havent installed any gpu softwares in the morning. Just ran HW monitor and played dota 2 which raises my gpu's temp to 40-42 celsius and im expecting the fan should adjust at least a lil bit bit it stayed on 32% still. No programs running in background since i just installed mobo drivers + gpu + dota 2. Also my card has this bios setting on it physically which adjust to UEFI i guess (not sure, will have to check it again). That could be the culprit. Hmmm...

These cards can run up into the 80-90°C range.
Top-end Maxwell GPU's (from most manufacturers) are running fanless until 60°C.

Also, don't use Furmark, it can damage modern GPUs.
Unigine Heaven is much safer and still fully loads the GPU.

Edit: Earthdog, GTX 750 is a GM107. It's Maxwell.

I did a quick google search and didn't see many (any?) reviews for the 750 non-Ti. I figured they were similar.

Ok so it would be good if i add it little by little. To run the test (im using FurMark), do i need to do a stress test after adding core/memory? if so, for how many minutes? Or do i just do a benchmark like it runs for 1 minute approximately? Just wondering what you mean it says on the link that:

"Add a little mhz at a time (10-20) to either core or memory and run uni gene heaven or 3dmark until it crashes is there is artifacting"

Im confused about until it crashes like do i have to wait for a very long time until it crashes or there is a certain setting that could crash it when it doesnt support the overclock anymore?

For overclocking stability, it's all about what you're comfortable with. What I mean by that: when I find my card's "max", I usually back off 20-40Mhz. That extra little bit isn't going to yield you much in the way of performance gains, but it could prevent an in-game crash (which isn't destructive, but is annoying).

You can run a benchmark at each clock speed. That's one method. What I've been doing is just keeping a high-intensity game running (I use BF4). Then I'll gradually increase the core clock out and continue playing (looking for any signs of artifacting or a game/system crash - it's usually just a game crash). This is a little less time-consuming, I think, but do note that I've seen instances, especially when you get to the memory overclocking portion, where I can increase the speed while the game is running and not have issues, but if I increase the speed and then load the game after, I'll get a crash. Presumably, the vram is being stressed more at load time?

These cards can run up into the 80-90°C range.
Top-end Maxwell GPU's (from most manufacturers) are running fanless until 60°C.

Also, don't use Furmark, it can damage modern GPUs.
Unigine Heaven is much safer and still fully loads the GPU.

Edit: Earthdog, GTX 750 is a GM107. It's Maxwell.

WOW! So, i guess i will have to leave this calm and done. Also, thanks for suggesting good gpu softwares. By the way, heaven is kinda big but i can get it but how about 3D Mark? Is it safe?

P.S.: Ill uninstall my FurMark right away.

Back