• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to custom loop cooling, asking for advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right, I'm reading great reviews on the whole Core X line-up. I was hesitant listing it as Dat Flank mentioned he didn't like the looks of the Air 540 with this being another cube case But figured I'd throw it in the mix too.

This is true, but on a side note, I didn't realize just how MASSIVE that thing truly is. The best thing I can think of about this case in particular is the way the components are aligned would probably allow for easier cooling and ventilation. Especially for the graphics card. I'm not sure if this is actually the case. But my intuition would think this might be so.
Back on topic though, my biggest concerns are keeping everything inside the case running cool. And it doesn't necessarily have to be quiet either. Despite my disinterest in the cube chassis, doesn't mean they are any less viable an option in this. I want to keep an open mind about this, and go with what you, and others suggest, so as to get the possible bang for my buck, or so on. The consumer is always right they say.

OK, so starting from there. I've got a couple months before I'm going to have the money for all the equipment requisite for this. But I pretty much want to know recommendations on where to start now. Obviously going to be using a 780T. But what comes next.
As an FYI, Ive got about an $800-1000 price range, closer to 600 or 800 after the case though, for what that helps.

Step one is to read the stickies that I posted on page one. If you haven't done this yet, you'll want to now as we're getting into the nitty gritty. :)

You have a case chosen so you'll need to figure out how much heat you'll be creating. Generally (CPU TDP)+(GPU TDPx# of GPU's). This is just from the top of my head so please correct me if I'm wrong Jack. The general rule of thumb is 120x2 rad for CPU and 120x2 or x3 per GPU (GPU TDP varies widely).

I stopped using a rule of thumb because its not always accurate but I used to say 120.2 per chip in general. But than again the average 120.1 in the market dissipates about 100w. It all depends on how close you want to get to ambient temp. If you want the best delta temps than you'll need a good amount of rads, especially if you're looking to run low-mid speed fans on assuming low FPI rads. There are many ways to go about this.

Ok, did a little bit of skimming down through the beginners guide. I've got a limited grasp, and cant pull things off the top off my head. But that'll hopefully come in time. Ok, now as for heat. Well the fx8350 is rated stock at a 125w TDP. Which is what I'll keep it at for now since I'm running it at stock settings. As for the graphics cards both are rated at 275w TDPs. Again stock so going to leave that the same. On a side note, I do realize that because of the dynamic nature of both the graphics cards and processor, you may and or may not ever reach the max amount of power draw for either one simultaneously, or seperate unless running some form of benchmark. So, it looks like stock I'm looking at 675w TDP. And I beg of you to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm here to learn of course :).
I do plan on doing a slight OC for the processor and GPU's. But Im looking at maybe a 20% bump on the processor, and maybe a 5% from current on the GPU's. But I'm no expert for sure. As I'm not 100% sure how to calculate the max wattage used during peak operation (more than likely a game).
And assuming that I follow what youve just written down, Id be looking at, for sure 1 360mm rad and a least 1 240mm as well? possibly a 140 on the Exhaust fan as well. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sound isn't a bother too me as I use a headset frequently. And rarely if ever do I hear my computer, even with the GPU's fans blaring a 100%. Ohh, and a little late on the trigger here, but I'm running a single 1440p monitor.

120.5 should be enough for your setup. Most likely won't get you to less than 5c delta-T range but should be around 10c +/- me thinks. If you add more, you'll get a better Delta-Temp. Don't forget, if you go with the 750T, if I recall correctly, you could fit a 360mm up top and a 360 up front.

Here's a video that explains it well that I post for new comers to H20.

Don't forget, if you go with the 750T, if I recall correctly, you could fit a 360mm up top and a 360 up front.

You can with the 780T as well. Linky

EDIT: FYI-The 750D only allows 240/280mm up front :END EDIT

I just never realized how enormous this thing really is.
huge.jpg
Obviously a perspective illusion! LOL

I've been trying to find a picture that demonstrated the size of it better. Newegg, and other sites, do such a terrible job at trying to show sizes. Expecting specifications to be enough for most people.
On a side note, looks sexy in yellow.

Other than posting it next to short and small peoples, that case looks massive! LOL I mean it looks like its holding its own next to the massive 900D. Hell, if I didn't have my 900D, I would have thought they were both similarly sized.

Also, here's the Delta-T chart I was looking for earlier.

Coolant Temperature Minus Ambient Air temperature
System qualification​

Less than 5°C - Extreme system
Comprised between 5°C and 10°C - Extreme to High-end system
Comprised between 10°C and 20°C - High-end to Mid-range system
Comprised between 20°C and 30°C - Mid-range to Entry-level system

Last edited:
Back