• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my Ram first time, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Durgesh

Registered
I just want to overclock my Ram Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2x4 GB) 1600 mhz to increase speed and some fps in games. I am totally new with overclocking and memory timings, I just want to know how can I get a stable and little bit extreme overclock.

Specs:
AMD a8 6600k black edition 3.9 GHz OCed 4.5 GHZ
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2x4 GB) 1600 mhz dual channel memory
Gigabyte GA-G1 sniper a88x gaming motherboard bios version F8
Seasonic m12ii 620w evo

Don't know about ddr3 ram but ddr2 ram creates problems when overclocked beyond specified clocks. Even if you are able to overclock, it won't help much in gaming. Gpu memory and core overclock only can give you better gaming results. As for just overclocking your ram, see if your motherboard supports intel's xmp(extreme memory profile) feature in bios to allow safe and best overclock possible. It will have simple interface to work on overclocking. If your motherboard doesn't have this feature, go to M.I.T(motherboard intelligent tweaker) section in bios and set memory mulitplier to higher value then the current value. Your ram seems to be overclocking friendly and you should be able to overclock it to 2100 MHZ easily. Still don't jump to such big overclock. First raise it to 1800mhz and test for stability then 1950 mhz and then to 2100 mhz.

On APUs memory clock actually helps. More for IGP but can see some improvements also on discrete graphics.

Please check what revision/version is your memory - usually in format x.xx , it will help to give advice regarding max clock and timings.
Here is list of used memory chips in Corsair memory:
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68811
In your kit will be probably Hynix, Samsung, Micron or Nanya.

In general your memory should work without problems at 1.65V and 1866 9-9-9 or 9-10-9 or 9-11-9 or 9-11-10. Can also run at 2133 but all depends from used memory chips. For higher clock you will also need to adjust CPU-NB voltage or maybe something more.

Don't know about ddr3 ram but ddr2 ram creates problems when overclocked beyond specified clocks. Even if you are able to overclock, it won't help much in gaming. Gpu memory and core overclock only can give you better gaming results. As for just overclocking your ram, see if your motherboard supports intel's xmp(extreme memory profile) feature in bios to allow safe and best overclock possible..
Setting XMP profile isn't overclocking. It's setting the ram to what it is supposed to be at.

undefined gamer, I got my 800 MHz DDR2's stable to 1020 MHz on stock 1,8 voltage.

and my ddr2 often gives blue screen error if oced to 800 from 667 at any voltage. Any advice? Still windows rating shows no improvement in ram performance after this oc.

Back