• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could nvidia drivers be causing blue screen of death? GTX 970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

Ok i recently this past week bought a Nvidia GTX 970 openbox on new egg it was about $80 off retail. So as i do with all open box stuff i have gotten i test the heck out of it. I got a couple blue screens but i found out this was due to unstable CPU overclock(I guess my old 7970 would not push the cpu to its limits?) anyways i brought the cpu back to stock to test thought all was good was playing games ran 3dmark11 twice to kind of stress test and then while playing Arma 3 yesterday i got a blue screen. So i downloaded MSI Kombustor and just finished a 16.5 hour stress test while i was at work and no blue screen? So could unstable drivers be causing random crashes in games but not stress tests?

How else can i test this card because after 30days im stuck with it! Is anyone else having the any issues with there card? Sorry for any bad grammar i've been up for over 24 hours now :attn:

Do any games besides ARMA III cause BSOD's? What was the BSOD number?

Don't use Furmark/Kombustor, it is a power virus and can damage modern GPU's!!!

Thats the only one so far when i get back from school ill test again rust and others.

What was the bluescreen?

Did you try switching drivers to see if it went away?

As mentioned above, does it happen on any other game?

Driver caused bluescreen will have nvidia driver in description ( on bluescreen or in system log ) usually nvxxx.dll or something.

Is anyone else having the any issues with there card?

Nope. My 970 with the latest Nvidia driver seems to be fine in the few games I've played on it (BF4, BF3, Verdun, FC4, CS:GO).

How did you uninstall/reinstall drivers when you swapped GPUs?

here is the bsod it just happened when i woke my computer up. While the blue screen was up i was able to jot down this Athurx.sys i looked it up and has to do with atheros i guess my killer network drivers gonna update and see what happens? Also i just uninstalled them from the control panel. Im not sure how else to do it i tried a driver sweep program once screwed my computer up but i didnt and still do not know what im doing there?

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88007426D86
BCP3: FFFFF8800393F808
BCP4: FFFFF8800393F060
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\012815-6068-01.dmp
C:\Users\Shadowlid-4770k\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-8018-0.sysdata.xml

Yeah, that's a LAN driver, not a GPU driver.

Definitely remove and then reinstall your LAN driver.

Also i just uninstalled them from the control panel. Im not sure how else to do it i tried a driver sweep program once screwed my computer up but i didnt and still do not know what im doing there?

Yeah, that's a LAN driver, not a GPU driver.

Definitely remove and then reinstall your LAN driver.

If the lan driver reinstall doesn't do the trick, I'd give driver sweeper (called DDU something something now?) a try, and if all else fails, reformat.

Alternatively, just remove the driver through Device Manager.
That doesn't require external software.

Does that perform all the same registry and ProgramFiles cleanup that DDU does? I like, in as much as possible, to start from fresh :)

Does that perform all the same registry and ProgramFiles cleanup that DDU does? I like, in as much as possible, to start from fresh :)

It should be clean, as long as the device is present. If the device isn't present, that's where DDU comes in to play.

Back