• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a little help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jshake

Can someone that has built a open air test bench tell me how to ground the system. I have a test bench set up. The problem I am having is, If I go to connect anything to any of the open usb hubs. The computer will shut down. The cable does not even have to be inserted , Just touches the metal of usb header on motherboard. The PSU is grounded the house wiring. Not sure why this is happening. Any insite would be appreciated.

Thanks
jshake

Touch the PSU when you put in the USB device and see if it still does the same thing.

What is your bench made of?

please post some pictures if possible.

Everything is grounded through your PSU. ;)
You have a static problem, or no ground in your outlet.

This is the test bench ( HIGH SPEED PC ).

I will check touching the psu , While trying to insert usb. I am am going to attach a pic of test bench.
Thanks
jshake

Attachments

• IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
If this is a static problem. Would a wirie running to the outside and then connected to the metal of the workbench. I could then run a wrist band connection from me to the workbench. Would this solve the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I will check touching the psu , While trying to insert usb. I am am going to attach a pic of test bench.
Thanks
jshake

No, it is not you do not know why it blew the pic up so big.

Should there be a strapping from the PSU to the metal that the motherboard is mounted to? It looks like the PSU is isolated by that rubber pad and doesn't make contact with the rest of the bench like in a traditional case.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. The PSU just sits on a rubber pad. The motherboard sits on rubber stops and has two plastic alignment pins. It seems to me the motherboard needs to be grounded. Just unsure on how to ground it without shorting something out.

Thanks
jshake

I see a CoolerMaster PSU, correct? Which one?

Edit: Zoomed in on the pic, and found the model number. Could that be the cause?

Last edited:
Should there be a strapping from the PSU to the metal that the motherboard is mounted to? It looks like the PSU is isolated by that rubber pad and doesn't make contact with the rest of the bench like in a traditional case.

You have ground wires coming out of every connector on the PSU. They're all grounded through the PSU and into your outlet. It's not an isolation issue.

Back