• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q: How much data can a wireless USB adapter transfer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

I bought this Netgear A6210 WiFi USB3.0 Adapter.
When I turn on the computer, there is a status notification concerning the wireless adapter that states that the device will run faster if plugged into a hi speed usb port.
When I look at device manager, I see that there is a couple things under USB controllers that state that they are USB 3.0.
One is an Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and one states is an Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub.
Then there are two generic USB Hub listed with no designation and two USB Root Hub's listed the same way.
Does that mean the generic ones are actually 2.0? Maybe I am not using the higher speed ports?
But if that's so, then I am confused.
There are two ports on the backside panel where the monitor and network cable plug in towards the bottom of that panel. I am guessing those are the two high speed USB 3.0 ports because they are blue and there is the SS symbol below them.
Then there's two usb ports at the top of the case. I am guessing those two are the general ones.
And then on the top of the back panel there are two yellow USB ports that state they are quick charging ports. I've never used those because I thought they were strictly charge ports.
I have the wireless adapter plugged into one of the blue ports.
Do I need to switch it to one of the other ports I mentioned?
Will a wireless adapter be able to transfer more data across the network than a USB 2.0 port can handle?

I bought this Netgear A6210 WiFi USB3.0 Adapter.
When I turn on the computer, there is a status notification concerning the wireless adapter that states that the device will run faster if plugged into a hi speed usb port.
When I look at device manager, I see that there is a couple things under USB controllers that state that they are USB 3.0.
One is an Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and one states is an Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub.
Then there are two generic USB Hub listed with no designation and two USB Root Hub's listed the same way.
Does that mean the generic ones are actually 2.0? Maybe I am not using the higher speed ports?
But if that's so, then I am confused.
There are two ports on the backside panel where the monitor and network cable plug in towards the bottom of that panel. I am guessing those are the two high speed USB 3.0 ports because they are blue and there is the SS symbol below them.
Then there's two usb ports at the top of the case. I am guessing those two are the general ones.
And then on the top of the back panel there are two yellow USB ports that state they are quick charging ports. I've never used those because I thought they were strictly charge ports.
I have the wireless adapter plugged into one of the blue ports.
Do I need to switch it to one of the other ports I mentioned?
Will a wireless adapter be able to transfer more data across the network than a USB 2.0 port can handle?

It's not particularly likely that you'll exceed the transfer speed of USB 2.0 with average internet speeds in North America. If you have like Google Fiber 1000mbps, then yes, you want the fastest connection possible.
Make sure any 3rd party USB controllers have the proper drivers installed on your system. The Intel ones should work by simply installing the correct chipset INF.

You're much better off, though, with a PCIE internal WIFI adapter. They do a better job, longer range, more reliable.

I've got 75/75 and end up with around 10MB/s which doubles what USB2 can do really. I'd go usb3 or pcie based if your speeds are over 35mbit or so.

You can tell USB 3 ports apart from USB 2 ports by the color of the plastic component inside. Usually, USB 3 ports have a blue plastic component inside and USB 2 will have black or red plastic. At least on most motherboards this color scheme holds true.

Thanks for the responses.

What about yellow plastic colored ports with quick charge written below it?

Yellow is an 'always on' USB port. You would use this port to charge phones/run things off it while the PC is off. Red, I believe is also the same as yellow.

I'm gonna try to find my motherboard's box to verify which brand and model it is and then do just that. It's been so long since I've installed Win7 on this pc, I can't remember if I found that all the drivers installed with no exclamation marks in device manager or if I did actually use the manufacturer drivers.
Thanks for the reminder to check.

I'm gonna try to find my motherboard's box to verify which brand and model it is and then do just that. It's been so long since I've installed Win7 on this pc, I can't remember if I found that all the drivers installed with no exclamation marks in device manager or if I did actually use the manufacturer drivers.
Thanks for the reminder to check.

You don't need the box. Every modern motherboard says what it is on the motherboard itself. They silkscreen it on there. Open your case and have a look see.
You don't want to install drivers automatically from the "Windows says this ones okay :eek:" pile. Not for your GPU, sound, NIC, extra USB, nothing. Always install all the drivers from either the manufacurer of the board's website, or the manufacturer of the component's website. For example, you can get the Z97 INF from either ASUS's website (if you have an ASUS board) or you can get it from Intel's website. The end result will be the same. Don't use the drivers on the optical discs that come with your hardware. These are almost always out of date, and you can find more recent versions online. One notorious example is graphics cards. HTH

Thanks for making it easier to figure out.
I went to the manufacturer's support page and checked for the drivers. After full installation and bios update the message still appears.
My guess is that it's just a goober.
Performance is good, so I'll just leave well enough alone.
Thanks for all the tips.

Back