• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe start with CM 140XL Nepton on a 5820k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LongSlenderBody

Registered
Temps in the room get up to 28 degrees sometimes (82F) so should I make allowances for that when going off advice elsewhere on the forum for OC'ing this Cpu? Is is worth moving the tower in front of the Aircon?

Maybe I should stress test a very mild OC when on a hot day first?

Looking at other users results you will probably see ~70*C under load @ 1.25V, maybe 5*C more since its 1x140mm while most other users have 2x120mm. It's enough for 4.3-4.5GHz depends from CPU.

It doesn't matter what you use for cooling ...... safe temps stay the same. What I mean by that is regardless what I use to cool my chip with when I OC be it my custom loop or the cooler you have mentioned in your post I am still limited by the max temp I am comfortable running for an OC. Buy what fits your budget and work from there.

Yep cool thanks, I already have the 140mm so I want to try use it but like you said, most of the results I'm seeing are using 2x120's. I'm just worried about using the same specs initially as my ambient room temp is probably a lot higher than most.. I think I'll just shoot for 4GHz to start with and see what sort of temps I'm getting under strain...

Yep cool thanks, I already have the 140mm so I want to try use it but like you said, most of the results I'm seeing are using 2x120's. I'm just worried about using the same specs initially as my ambient room temp is probably a lot higher than most.. I think I'll just shoot for 4GHz to start with and see what sort of temps I'm getting under strain...

4Ghz sounds like a good place to start. This isn't completely accurate, but one way of looking at it is that if somebody in a 20C room with your CPU cooler is getting 70C at 1.25V, then you'll get 78C at 1.25V in your 28C room. Not exactly accurate, but you can ballpark things like that.

Like I said in your other thread, your CPU cooler is really not good enough to get a high overclock with this CPU. A cooler with a 280mm (2x140mm) rad would be better.

I disagree with the cooler "not being good enough"
That is one of the better AIO's on the market, despite being only a 140mm radiator.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2779&page=6

Agreed. It will easily handle 4ghz+ on an Intel hex. I'd imagine 4.2-4.4ghz is in the cards. Hell, with my 2x140 (kraken) I was benching at 4.8ghz all cores. 24/7 could have been 4.6ghz with my chip. As woomack said, it depends on the quality of your silicon. ;)

Im not familiar with the 140XL but we all start somewhere. For me that was an H70 and when my OCing got to be too much for it I upgraded. One thing going for the OP is she is not afraid to ask questions that's a good step ahead from allot of users. Realistically figure out where you want to go with your OC and buy the best you can afford, this one is already bought ..... OC your system step by step and when the dust settles and you reach your max temp figure out where you are and if that is enough, understand the limitation and save for an upgrade.

I bought the cooler for my 2500k originally because the temps were getting out of hand, but the day before it arrived, the CPU fried and took my z68 board with it. I had been saving for a new system but I wanted to wait until I could afford exactly what I wanted. I bought the cooler so I could practice and do some overclocks on an expendable PC rather than a x99 platform with my life savings invested into it.

After reading a few reviews I'm feeling more comfortable with pairing the 140XL with the 5820k, especially if I can easily get 4 GHz+ which seems to be in consensus. Gives me a shorter wait to afford a 980 now my 5760x1080 on a 970 dream has been dashed lol

Sorry to have started multiple threads on a similar topic. It wasn't my intention to force you guys to chase me with your help and advice

Back