• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM license transfer "legalities"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I have a copy of Win 7 home premium X64 (OEM) that I am no longer using.
How illegal, exactly, would it be for me to sell it at a very friendly price to a neighbor who is still on XP?
I imagine it'll refuse to authenticate the key with MS but calling the number and talking to someone, could one not just say
"Oh, yeah, I've just gotten new hardware for my computer but its still in the same case so that counts as the same computer, right?"
Or something ignorant like that. It might just work...

Thoughts?

I've given family old copies of oem oses, don't even need to talk to a real person at microsoft. Just call in to the automated line, tell it that the key is only being used on one computer and it makes a note of the new hardware configuration. Once you do that (which takes 5 minutes or less) then the key authenticates to that hardware just fine on subsequent reinstalls.

OP knows it's possible, his question is the legality (or more specifically if it violates ToS) of selling the license.

The answer is no, per MS ToS you can't sell the license alone. You must sell the machine that the license is tied to, with the COA.

OP knows it's possible, his question is the legality (or more specifically if it violates ToS) of selling the license.

The answer is no, per MS ToS you can't sell the license alone. You must sell the machine that the license is tied to, with the COA.

Hmmm... well I don't want to sell the machine as I'm using it... I'll have to think about this.

Well then, it will be perfectly legal for him to sell you his computer for 5 dollars and you can use its parts to upgrade your computer and then decide you dont want it anymore and sell it back to him, and oh darn, now the windows is tied to that hardware so i guess he will just have to live with windows 7 instead of xp.

Back