• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tax Time, Upgrade Time historically , Should I skip this year ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogbur22

Ok, I always get my tax money and send it all to the Egg and Amazon as a rule. But I am wondering and contemplating just letting it ride this season. My oldest parts right now are my I5-3570K and my ASArock Z77 OC Formula with 16 gigs of Kingston Hyper-X 1600 blah blah blah, :D

My initial thought for this year was to go to a new I7 CPU and a new mobo and memory. But the more I think about it the less I feel inclined to do it.

My new way of thinking is just wait till next year this time and do it then with Broadwell or whatever is out then. Mostly thinking this because doing it now will be like fixing something that's not broken. I absolutely love this motherboard. It is hands down for me the best motherboard I have ever had. My CPU has been up to 4.8 and running well on this setup. I however keep it at 4.5 for daily operation and games. It's so easy on this board. No fussing no mussing I just go in and pick a setting and bam it's over.

If anything I was thinking I could just get myself a I7-3770K to play with at Micro Center for 249. here in Boston or a used one on the board here and play around with clocking that. Then get a 2 Terabyte hard drive for my PS4 and pay bills with the rest. Yuck but yah gotta do it :D

Specs in Sig, all comments welcome :)

Unless you plan to get a third card, or do a lot of work that would require extra cores, I would just let it ride until next year. A few months back I went from a 4670k to a 5820k and while it satisfied my itch to upgrade and it is fun to tweak, it was performance I didn't really need.

I don't see any audio listed in your sig, mabye it's time to get some nice headphones or pair of speakers. I was blown away by all the stuff I had never heard before once I upgraded to some quality headphones.

But if you feel like you just have to upgrade your cpu/mobo, I love my 5820k and so far the x99 platform has been good to me.

I don't see any audio listed in your sig, mabye it's time to get some nice headphones or pair of speakers. I was blown away by all the stuff I had never heard before once I upgraded to some quality headphones.

BLAM !!

Im using some Bose companion speakers I got a couple years back, It's time for both speakers and headphones :D

If I had a prize to give out you would win., at least at the moment LOL

Agree on the audio gear. I love audio stuff and your current rig is definitely not in need of an upgrade. You'll get the fuzzy upgraded feeling with some nice audio/home theater gear to satisfy the itch.

Agreed with the others. I don't see anything there that would require an update. My only other thought would be a new mechanical keyboard/mouse if you are using really old ones.

Agreed with the others. I don't see anything there that would require an update. My only other thought would be a new mechanical keyboard/mouse if you are using really old ones.

I have a Corsair K90 keyboard and a Razor Death Adder Left handed version so im good there for awhile also :)

I have been made to see the weak spot in the setup so thanks everyone :) My speakers are Bose companion 2 speakers that I got at a Best Buy in like 2007 or so and they are kinda whooped from moving and banging around. I do not need anything that really pumps high end volume as I never get to use it in an upstairs apartment. I did a little research last night and I kinda like this setup. But I am gonna probably do this purchase without getting to hear my new speakers. Anyone have any ideas on this particular piece ? or if anyone has one they would recommend would be happy to look at it :D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000062VUO...lid=1JUOWB4VR0HF7&coliid=I3VPTYJFTS9ISU&psc=1

Now on head phones Im lost, I got some cheapy ones that are duct taped. LOL I would say a 200-300 dollar price range on the headphones and 250 or less on a speaker/sub woofer setup.

Lastly now that Im doing this am I gonna need a sound card ? LOL not may people making them anymore I know.

Thanks for all so far ;)

I have/had the 4.1 version of that setup, rogbur. They were quite nice, but the setup is pretty dated by today's standards. But I don't imagine speaker/etc technology has come super far since then, just the types of connections that you would want maybe.

I currently use logitech Z5500s, really liking them.

I have been made to see the weak spot in the setup so thanks everyone :) My speakers are Bose companion 2 speakers that I got at a Best Buy in like 2007 or so and they are kinda whooped from moving and banging around. I do not need anything that really pumps high end volume as I never get to use it in an upstairs apartment. I did a little research last night and I kinda like this setup. But I am gonna probably do this purchase without getting to hear my new speakers. Anyone have any ideas on this particular piece ? or if anyone has one they would recommend would be happy to look at it :D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000062VUO...lid=1JUOWB4VR0HF7&coliid=I3VPTYJFTS9ISU&psc=1

Now on head phones Im lost, I got some cheapy ones that are duct taped. LOL I would say a 200-300 dollar price range on the headphones and 250 or less on a speaker/sub woofer setup.

Lastly now that Im doing this am I gonna need a sound card ? LOL not may people making them anymore I know.

Thanks for all so far ;)

Sound cards and the drivers associated are screwed up. Best to go with a low impedance external which you won't need any drivers for (godsend!!). This one has excellent reviews and is the one I use..

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.co...iers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/

I tested it at https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...IZ2dahfzXEeynTY_zNTJ1_Q&bvm=bv.84607526,d.dGcversus a full 7.1 surround sound card with my headphones (Which I am in love with) and it smashed the 7.1 setup out of the park with only 2 channels.. In spatial , bass, volume, clarity, everything...

It will run any headphones, right up to top of the line 600 ohm ones and is only $120

My headphones were chosen after lengthy trial and error testing lol and I ended up with Beyerdynamic 600 ohm beauties.... You won't believe the incredible difference this will make to your audio life :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A9628NQDY677MWJJM93

Premium headphones give you the best of both worlds.. Incredible sound quality with punchy, tight bass and crisp highs without waking up the neighbours :p

Last edited:
By the way Rogbur, I just ordered a setup very close to yours (sli 970's, 5760x1080) but with a 5820k, x99, ddr4 instead of your 3570 etc, so we can compare notes to see if there is any performance gain worth speaking of ;)

Back