• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a simple question about Nero

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tarrant

Registered
Long story but I used to use Easy CD Creator until I started getting problems with it using WinXP. Everyone I've talked to recommended Nero so I downloaded the demo and really like it. The CDs I were trying to make unsuccessfully in ECDC burned just fine in Nero. What I'm needing to do is try some test burning but that option is greyed out. Is there something I'm neglecting to do or is test burning an option that is only available for the registered version? Thx guys!

My guess would be that it's only available for the registered version. I just took a look see at mine and noticed that the test and burn option isn't grayed out. I've never noticed it to be grayed out so I’m assuming it's only available with the registered version of Nero.

Thx Zoopa_man! That's what I was thinking too. I was debating on whether to go buy the thing off the shelf or simply or a serial number to register my demo version. Does the "retail" boxed version come with anything that I won't get by ordering the serial number online?

Tarrant said:
Thx Zoopa_man! That's what I was thinking too. I was debating on whether to go buy the thing off the shelf or simply or a serial number to register my demo version. Does the "retail" boxed version come with anything that I won't get by ordering the serial number online?
Documentation for sure, it may come with some additional software features as well. In addition you will then have the CD and Serial together in case you ever need to re-install the program, that is why I am a bit hesitant to register downloaded programs. I like having the physical cd right there.

J - Just my two cents.

I agree with DJ.. You want to have the Retail off the shelf version. It just gives me piece of mind to know i got a disk and a key that go together. The idea of paying for a key online and using it on something I downloaded makes me nervous for two reasons.

One i don't know if i'm geting all the features of the retail version and i always wonder what goodies are inside that box to go along with it. even if it's a funky cupon for a free nero T-shirt. lol

Second i don't trust internet software worth a darn. I'm always fearfull of some kind of trojan or spy-ware being programed into the software...Something that would let someone else get access to my computer..

If I have the Retail box I can be rest assured it's secure. and i have the peice of mind of knowing that if my system should crash i'll have the install cd and key right there...no need for any internet downloads to get my software back.

Make sure you selected your CD Writter (not Image Recorder) in the Recorder pull down menu.

I found that ECDC Platinum v5 works great if you install all the patches. There is a known problem that WinXP will not shut down properly if you don't apply the patches. Also disabling the burning feature by WinXP is supposed to speed up opening Nero.

Back